• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    To Some, isf it isn;t a status symble then I guess it doesn't protect you!

Some things get to be "status symbols" or "popular" because they work well and are used by lots and lots of people (including professionals). These aren't Nike shoes we're talking about here.

And its not a matter of "not protecting" you, its a matter of not protecting me as well as another higher quality tool. Lower quality materials fail faster and more often than materials of higher quality.

witham79

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    indiana
    you cant go wrong with a high point . granted i like my other high price modles better but for camping and to take out fishing with you on the weekends id rather drop or bang up a hundred dollar gun befor i would my others... make since

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    My Dad picked up two Mosin M44s. He kept one and gave me the other. It would not be my first choice in a WWII type rifle. However, it is fun to shoot and ammo is still relatively cheap. He collects and shoots Mausers and this gives us a new appreciation for what the typical Russian soldier had to work with.

It would also be useful in case Godzilla invades the neighborhood. If the bullet does not kill him, the muzzle flash will knock him into orbit!

bigtexan449

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    New Haven
    i will pass on the hi-point. a buddy of mine got one new, got it home, then realized the barrel was for .40 and it was suppose to be a .45

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    Some things get to be "status symbols" or "popular" because they work well and are used by lots and lots of people (including professionals). These aren't Nike shoes we're talking about here.

And its not a matter of "not protecting" you, its a matter of not protecting me as well as another higher quality tool. Lower quality materials fail faster and more often than materials of higher quality.

The kid makes a great point though, a lot of people buy guns as status symbols - high end ARs, etc - and never use them for their intended purpose. Don't get me wrong, I carry a modern reliable handgun. I would NOT carry a hi-point. I'm sure there are some reliable ones out there, but I'm not going to be the guinea pig. Owning one to plink isn't much more ridiculous than buying $3000 trap gun to shoot twice a year though...
    ~Poe

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    I can tell you for me, The Nagant fascination all about the history and getting to tinker around with something different.... but then that applies to all the surplus arms I've been diving into. :yesway:

I love buying them, learning every little thing I can about how the mechanics work and seeing how one design house's approach is different from another, and also figuring out who influenced who in contemporary or subsequent designs.

Decoding the stampings is also a little adventure in itself.

Course part of its popularity lately could have something to do being able to own this little slice of history for one Benjamin. :twocents:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I can't personally comment on Hi Points handguns, but I purchased a 995 carbine after shooting a friends, it was a tack driver for a 9mm carbine.
    Did a whole lot of checking on it b4 buying and and seen tons of great reviews, but but ugly standard stock. Have purchased the ATI stock for it.
    Plus it was tons cheaper than a Beretta CX-4 Storm.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    i will pass on the hi-point. a buddy of mine got one new, got it home, then realized the barrel was for .40 and it was suppose to be a .45

Another infamous "my friend said" Hi Point story. :rolleyes:

All H/Ps are test fired before being shipped so if this tale were true the .45 round would not have even chambered, let alone fired. So......... :bs:

Last edited:

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I enjoy the WW2 era rifles, just something about a Garand,a 1903,or a M-1 carbine that is like holding a piece of history. Right now the surplus is the Mosins and the SKS, a few years ago you could pick up a Garand at about the same price a M44 is now, who knows, a M44 may be a collectable in a few years.

Last edited:

CaptB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    I put a synthetic stock and nice scope on my nagant and now I have a pretty decent long rifle. It is accurate as all hell and ammo is pretty cheap to get..at least for now!

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i was talking to wife about this just last night. You know you can buy 100 HP 9mm carbines for $22k (MSRP), add 1000rds for each one and all in your under $44k, and you can arm an infantry company (sans artillery pieces of course). fairly cheap homeland security, or neighborhood watch supplies, if you will. Buy in bulk deal like this and you'd probably get them to throw in an extra mag for each carbine.

there may come a day that we wish we had guns for all our neighbors.
    might be a good portfolio diversification strategy for your non-tax deferred money.

just saying... :dunno:

BTW; the wife pretended like she couldn't hear me. :rolleyes:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom