• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Ok,so I am hooked on trying out high power this summer. I even went so far as to talk my brother in law into letting me use his rock river national match rifle. Of course, he gets to use my .308 AR while I have his, but hey, I now have a rifle to shoot for this stuff.

I am not sure what to do about reloading for this rifle. It has a 20 inch barrel, and is 1 in 8 twist. I have plenty of 55gr Hornaday BTHP, and 55gr Hornaday SP projectiles. I have been running WC844 on these loads, but have not really gotten spectacular results yet on my own rifles. Best so far is about a 3 inch group at 100 yds.

Should I work on developing a load with these components, or do I need to move to 69gr ( or heavier) projectiles and a different powder. ( I do have some varget stashed away). I have yet to work on any loads for this rifle, but I don't want to waste my time on a projectile that isn't well suited for the task ya know?

ETA: this is 5.56

Last edited:

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    24 grains of reloader 15 or Varget with a 77 SMK. I promise you this load works, I know for a fact it will shoot a 10X clean rapid at 200;)
    Also, don't waste time loading 80 SMK's for 600 yards, just use the 77's and work on watching mirage and reading the wind.
    The most important thing to remember is natural point of aim, much more important in high power than loads.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    24 grains of reloader 15 or Varget with a 77 SMK. I promise you this load works, I know for a fact it will shoot a 10X clean rapid at 200;)
    Also, don't waste time loading 80 SMK's for 600 yards, just use the 77's and work on watching mirage and reading the wind.
    The most important thing to remember is natural point of aim, much more important in high power than loads.

This is a pretty standard load data. I would encourage you to start lower, like 22.5 grain until you learn your barrel. My Bushmaster DCM is a really tight barrel and shows pressure signs with the 77 gr bullets a little above 23 gr. I agree about the 77's, I shot too many High Master scores with the 77's to fool with different ammo at each line (like the 80's at 600) You might score an extra "X" or two at true 600 yards, but that really does not matter until you routinely score above 96% across the whole course.

What is the distance of the course where you will be shooting? If it is a strictly 100 yard reduced like at Falls Creek, anything 50-55 grain will work fine. If it is a 200 reduced or a 200-300 reduced, like Wildcat Valley or Kankakee, the 69's are fine. The 69's will also work at 500 like at Camp Atterberry, but you will be working hard keeping up with the wind drift changes.

I have actually shot a 200-300 reduced with 52 grain matchKings once, but on the 600 sim target, every puff of wind cost me two scoring rings of lost points, not a good plan.

Welcome to Highpower. It is a great excuse to learn to shoot reliably in positions. 200 yard offhand with iron sights is a lot different than riding a 100 yard bench with a scoped rifle. It also does not take a $5000 rifle with a $3000 scope to be competitive enough to actually win.

Where did you shoot your first match?

Last edited:

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    As others have indicated I would up to 69 grain rounds because of the twist in your rifle and the distances you might be shooting.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN

This guy knows what he is talking about. I have watched him shoot the Service Rifle. How many times have you been the State Service rifle Champ, Joe?

You actually don't have a military 5.56 rifle. The RRA match rifle is a Wilson barrel with a Wylde chamber. But it doesn't really matter.

Whatever you decide for ammo, it needs to be 1 moa quality.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Thanks for the input everyone I really appreciate it.

I have access to some 69's and 75's, I think I will try working up some loads with them and see how things go.

This will be my first go-round at shooting with irons, I know there is a lot of learning curve to get through, but this just looks like way too much fun. I have yet to shoot a match ( or even regular practice yet) as I am just getting all the equipment together.

Thanks again!

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    Thank you for the kind words Sloughfoot, the best thing on my wall here is the Distinguished Riflemans badge. It reminds me of back when I was cool;)
    picture.php

I've had a couple years off from highpower due to work issues but will be back at it soon.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    52 to 69s at 100 yards
    69 to 77s at 200 and 300
    80s at 300 reduced, 500 and 600
    @ Electron, if you are new to position shooting, find an experienced highpower or smallbore shooter who is willing to work with you. I can't speak for the smallbore shooters, but most highpower shooters are more than willing to help new guys/gals out.
    If you are in the Terre Haute area, I'd be willing to help.

usp45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    My 1:8 likes the 75 and 77 gr the best. I'm sure you just need to go heavier.
    at least try one of these when you can. it makes a big difference to me.

Top Bottom