• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    Is anyone running a different upper on their AR10? I recently bought a KAK Magnum upper in 300wsm. My question is should I run a heavier recoil spring and buffer? I have a standard dpms 308 rifle spring and buffer in it. Any thoughts?

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    A 300WSM AR10 with thermal? I want to know what you're hunting!

And like Actaeon, interested in the answer.

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    Hahaha I think that the correct answer is...everything! Lol Actually it's the day/night scope not the Thor thermal. I wanted to try out this before making the investment of the thermal. So far I am not sold on it, it's kinda gimmicky.

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    I guess that I am the only one on here running this kind of combination. Google shows that years ago there were issued with extractors, but I don't see anything within the last three years. I guess that I will have to be the test mule! Lol

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I would reach out to Nemo Arms. They make ARs in 260 Remington and 300 winmag. They don’t list any special buffer spring or have one for sale, but I’m sure you could ask.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Disclaimer, I have no knowledge of manufacturer recommendations.

In a properly tuned system, the gas system should be limiting the opening of the action until pressure levels are safe. The buffer and buffer spring are simply to cycle the action, not keep the action locked up longer. If recoil isn't excessive, the brass seems fine, and the buffer tube isn't being beat up, I see no reason to assume there's a problem.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Not in a blow-back gun, like most 9mm ARs, which it sounds like what the OP is shooting as he's talking about buffers, etc. The buffer/bolt has to have enough mass to hold the action closed while pressure dies off... keeping the action closed (it never "locks") is exactly it's job. too light and the rounds extract too early.

as excessive as these are, I would also assume firing OOB vs early extraction as others said. Assume using a heavier pistol buffer vs regular carbine buffer? I would look closely at belling/crimp and make sure bullet diameter is .356 max unless you've slugged your barrel. 9mm being slightly tapered, a wide mouth could lead to it only mostly seating. I would also check seat depth consistency / bullet shape... anything that could keep a round from feeding all the way. plunk test 100 rounds into your barrel and see if the problem persists...

bolt bounce can be a problem too. make sure buffer has dead weights that are free to move. that is where a too-light spring could also lead to this result.

-rvb

an AR-10 in 300 WSM would definitely not be a pistol or a straight blow-back action. Different buffers and buffer springs definitely have different results in your typical AR-15/AR-10 rifles. Otherwise there wouldn’t be so many choices.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    an AR-10 in 300 WSM would definitely not be a pistol or a straight blow-back action. Different buffers and buffer springs definitely have different results in your typical AR-15/AR-10 rifles. Otherwise there wouldn’t be so many choices.

yea, sorry, I thought I was still reading the OOB 9mm thread in the NFA area, so hit reply in wrong thread...
    "It's my first day."
    -rvb

Top Bottom