• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Hi all. I am not up on my high schools sports rules so hopefully some of you are. My girls played in a volleyball tournament this weekend and one of the teams playing rostered several of their varsity players on thier junior varsity team. We usually watch both JV and the varsity games. I remember seeing them play on the varsity team last week and now they are on the JV team. Is this legal??? BTW they walked all over us in the tourney. We won when they played their JV players in our previous engagement

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    Yes, it is legal. There is a limitation on how many periods a player can play in a given amount of time. I'm not sure exactly what that time is for volleyball and when I did a quick search, i couldn't find it. In basketball, a player can only play four quarters in one night and if s/he's in for 1 second of a quarter, that counts as a quarter. So, a player could play two quarters in each game or any other combination totaling four quarters. The rule could start being bent a little when games are on different days like your tournament was.

You can debate ethics, but what you describe has been done before. The ethics somewhat depends on how much the players who played JV usually play varsity. Also, not only is it less than fair to the competition, but it is also less than fair to the JV players who don't get to play.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It's the limbo effect. Some players are good enough to start JV but not Varsity. The get most of ther playing time with JV, and see a lil action with Varsity too. It's not uncommon. When I played ball, JV was exclusively 9th/10th, but if there was player that had potental, he would get some playing time with varsity.

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Thanks for responding guys. I searched and searched for an official rule book online and couldn't find it. I knew i would get an answer here. Thanks!!!!

Top Bottom