• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    GI makes some very nice firearms. The pictures on their website (yes, I've been sniffing around over there) are incredible, and so much precision in the fabrication and development of their guns involved (.50 cal 1911?! I mean when I read that a couple of years ago, I was floored.).

I have been on Fusion's website today, and been pretty happy with what I have see. Prices are great, but far beyond that, the work is tasteful and lines are impressive. I have some time here, I really appreciate the feedback. This is continuing to be a fun search for my own private grail.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I'm really familiar with Nighthawks and have 1 Wilson. I took a trip to Nighthawk a couple of summers ago and toured the place. A bunch of good ol boys with mostly files and little dremel tool work building beautiful 1911s and a guy shooting one hole test targets off of sandbags. Quite an interesting experience.
    Fit and finish is great on both Nighthawks and Wilsons but I would have to give Wilson the edge if there is one. I've never had a Baer but I know an guy that swears by his. I do think it's generally accepted that an overly tight slide does not necessarily make for a more accurate 1911. I can tell you for certain that every 1911 I've had will shoot better out of a machine rest that I can shoot it :). I consider the ones I have works of art as well as extremely reliable firearms. Posted a pic of what one is capable of in amateur hands. 3 shots at 7 yards.

[FONT=&quot]
    PredatorII3shotsyards.jpg
    [/FONT]

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I can't offer any help, as the nicest 1911 I own is a Sig Scorpion. But, I do have to applaud you for the decision to buy high end 1911s as your reward for the rough times. Those guns will last generations. Your average numb nut in society today would buy themselves an expensive car that will be junk in 10 years. Nice work on the hunt for an excellent set of 1911s.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I have a GI Springfield, and 2 Kimber customs with rails on the dust covers. Those last 2 were my present to myself after coming back from Iraq in 04. Both run great after the break in period. However, I am looking at the new Springfield with the rail as well. Granted, that one will be my when I get money gun as well. Good luck on your endeavor, and glad that your wife is into it and getting one as well. Please post back when you can with some photos when you finally get them.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Earlier, someone recommended Fusion. They are incredible-looking firearms. The former owner of Dan Wesson. They make some really exceptional pieces, and have several options. I like that it is a smaller firm too. Baers I have always loved for being so tight, but as stated earlier, that won't necessarily make it shoot any better; Wilson, Ed Brown, and Nighthawk will come later. I like the idea of a full custom, soup to nuts, with my own serial number, engraving, and everything else.

Check out Fusion. Damned fine-looking. I've not locked it in, but I'm pretty sure. Hell, I might even make mine a long slide!

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    So Fusion it is! I called and Bob "I created the 1911 program at Dan Wesson" Serva himself answered. he's forgotten more about Browning's design than I will ever know, and he is a hell of a nice guy. I gave him a brief run-down, and he sent a couple quotes and information. He has been extremely helpful.

I really have to get this little part out: the wife keeps teetering between an bobbed grip or standard, she is sold on a Commander-style hammer and wants all of the small parts high polish stainless--looks nice with the Tungsten finish--she is rounding it out with turquoise burl grips from Wicked. It is so satisfying to think that that last sentence is in reference to the custom 1911 my wife suggested in the first place.

Obviously this does not mean that Baers or Wilsons or Browns or Nighthawks have fallen by the wayside, but between these two and the old Austin Behlert custom I just got, well, you all know the score.

I appreciate everyone's input. I was initially a bit concerned about the customophobes thread-jacking and whining. I know Glocks are inexpensive and reliable, and I think Rock Islands are a tremendous value, and if we based our purchases solely on value for dollar, we would all be driving SmartCars. Here's to we who get it.

Top Bottom