• ...and so much more!
  • Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Otto fuel is stable.
    During an Otto fuel spill, the concern is that if exposed to heat, it will create hydrogen cyanide. Which tends to be fatal.
    So, we'd isolate each compartments ventilation system. Our sub, and most of the ones in my day, had multiple compartments.
    But modern subs tend to have less compartments. 688s, which are getting old, only have 2 compartments.
    The next thing done is to deenergize any heaters or heat source.
    Then clean up.
    But that was limited to torpedomen, so I'm not sure what went on there.

How did you determine it was safe to re-enter?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    How did you determine it was safe to re-enter?

Okay.
    Seriously now.

I don't know.
    In the old days, Sub quals, or dolphins, meant everyone knew each others job.
    But, things have become geometrically more complicated.
    So, now you have to know general bits about each job, and how to perform in an emergency in each space.
    So, I had to know where the EAB manifolds were in the torpedoroom, the fire extinguishers, the salvage manifolds, all communications, etc.
    I also had to know how to manually fire a MK-48 torpedo, and demonstrate that by shooting a "water slug". Which means do everything necessary for the manual fire of a torpedo, but without a torpedo in the tube (they are expensive), so that just a slug of water shoots out the tube.
    I also had to know that in the event of a fire, fire team 2, which normally keeps fire team 1 cool, must instead cool the torpedoes. Torpex (still called it, even though torpex is no longer used) is very stable, unless it changes form and melts. When it melts, it's.. less than stable.

But, beyond that, I'd have to have specialized as a torpedoman.
    So, I do not know how to troubleshoot their fire control system for normal firing of the torpedo. (though I did have to diagnose and repair a fire control circuit board).
    Or know what to do in an Otto fuel spill, beyond isolate ventilation flappers, and heat sources.

I know some other small things, like, with a hot run torpedo, you do NOT go to ahead flank. But that's because it's Engineering in nature, and Engineering is where I lived.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Let me tell you what happens if you're running MAPP gas into a lawn tractor tire to seat the bead, then put the air chuck to it while you're lighting the gas....

Last edited:

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I have seen individuals who decided they could smoke or cook while wearing O2 cannula. I have see the results of drivers who decided they could smoke while in a van that delivered liquid Oxygen. Unfortunately the news media are not experts or even well educated in everything they report on. IMO, although wrongly reported, they are warning people to be careful. It is not hurting anyone and may actually save someone's life.

So, are you are OK with news stories that WRONGLY REPORT "guns kill people" to warn people to be careful? "It is not hurting anyone and may actually save someone's life", right?

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    This is also why Liquid O2 tanks at hospitals are on a concrete pad instead of asphalt. Pure oxygen plus any petroleum product creates instant ignition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NO IT DOESN'T. Oxygen and petroleum STILL need a source of IGNITION. There are so many misconceptions, and so much misinformation about oxygen!

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    So, are you are OK with news stories that WRONGLY REPORT "guns kill people" to warn people to be careful? "It is not hurting anyone and may actually save someone's life", right?

Absolutely not......I do not see anyone banning Oxygen (in any form) from public use; as they are with handguns. We all need to pick our battles, calling O2 flammable is not my battle. Did you know that too much O2 can can kill some people (small percentage)? Peanuts can kill people? My point is one can find dangers in almost anything we want; however, none are specifically mentioned in the Constitution as with the right to arms.

For the record, I do and will correct people when I hear a fallacy with anything.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Absolutely not......I do not see anyone banning Oxygen (in any form) from public use; as they are with handguns. We all need to pick our battles, calling O2 flammable is not my battle. Did you know that too much O2 can can kill some people (small percentage)? Peanuts can kill people? My point is one can find dangers in almost anything we want; however, none are specifically mentioned in the Constitution as with the right to arms.

For the record, I do and will correct people when I hear a fallacy with anything.

I wasn't talking about the "ban handguns" crowd, just similar disinformation. Also, I don't see anything in the constitution about SAYING (incorrectly) that "guns kill people". Too much of just about anything, including water, is often hazardous too, but the cinstitution does not guarantee that inaccuracies such as "guns kill people" are not ALLOWED to be spoken by the uninformed. Misinformation about oxygen is just one of my pet peeves (if you couldn't already tell).

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I wasn't talking about the "ban handguns" crowd, just similar disinformation. Also, I don't see anything in the constitution about SAYING (incorrectly) that "guns kill people". Too much of just about anything, including water, is often hazardous too, but the cinstitution does not guarantee that inaccuracies such as "guns kill people" are not ALLOWED to be spoken by the uninformed. Misinformation about oxygen is just one of my pet peeves (if you couldn't already tell).

I can agree, I understand completely. For me, some misinformation is more dangerous than others. I can tolerate some but when it has the potential to wrongly implicate, resulting in wrongful legislation - that’s when I speak up the loudest.

If I had to choose what misinformation had the most potential to hurt our society and go against the constitution, misinforming about the dangers of oxygen would not be in my top 10 list.

We all have our battles, some we share. Some we fight for, some we die for.
    It is our choice which is which, in our life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    [video=youtube;zFyqilT0ld0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFyqilT0ld0[/video]

This happened type of thing happened at our work when an impact wrench was connected to an oxy line.

Top Bottom