• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I think that it had something to do with people getting shot in their homes while derilict hunters were out shooting at something they thought they saw while having a persons home as a bullet trap behind what they thought they saw. Other than granny goodness getting shot by her neighbor while eating her cheerios, I can't agree.

Yes, because that happens hundreds of times each year in the multitude of states that allow highpower rifles for whitetail hunting...a stream of innocent human blood running from bystanders hit by a hail of errant hunters' bullets.

Gimme a break.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Drive on down to KY and use whatever gun you like...and the deer are bigger and tastier! Too bad it cost $190 each year to do it!

That brings up another good point I hunt in southeastern indiana probably 20 miles from Kentucy and its got hills and hollers just like kentucky but yet we cant use highpower rifles.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Why not its perfectly legal?? Its a pistol with a bullet diameter greater than .243.

I seriously don't have any idea what I was thinking... I KNOW that the min. diameter in a pistol is .243...

I don't know how or what my eyes saw in "25-06" that made me think it was less than .243... But something crossed between my eyes / brain / fingers.

Yes, of course, 25-06 is perfectly legal in handguns for deer hunting in IN.

Mea culpa!

-J-

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    A HUGE percentage of deer hunters hunt from treestands thus their shots are most times towards the ground and wont go far in a miss or pass through....

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    That's not the law in Indiana. There is a doiamter minimum, that isn't the only criteria. A .45 ACP is also a pistol cartridge with a diameter greater than .243. A .270 is illegal for deer hunting in Indiana because it is not a pistol cartridge, even when fired from a pistol, and doesn't meet case criteria.

Inidana has very specific limitations or what can and can't be used from eitehr a rifle or a pistol, and the .270 does not quality. Or so the DNR tells me. I suggest you call and ask them, just as I did.
    You are correct in the fact that certain pistol cartridges cannot be used, such as .45ACP, 9mm, 38 special. But as long as it is in a "pistol" anything larger than .243 can be used in Indiana....270, 308, .458Win Mag, 7mm Mag...Yep, I saw a .458 Win Mag pistol before ..made by MOA.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I seriously don't have any idea what I was thinking... I KNOW that the min. diameter in a pistol is .243...

I don't know how or what my eyes saw in "25-06" that made me think it was less than .243... But something crossed between my eyes / brain / fingers.

Yes, of course, 25-06 is perfectly legal in handguns for deer hunting in IN.

Mea culpa!

-J-
    Its all good.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I thought we could use the high power rifles for anything except deers. I could use my 30-06 to kill a rabbit or squirrels but not deers.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Unless they have changed the regs, this is not a legal setup.

I have moved on from My Contender phase in hunting, but there was a time that you couldn't add a stock to a pistol like that. I was thinking there was a minimum length of the barrel.

Or buy a .35 rem and trim ;)

picture.php

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I thought we could use the high power rifles for anything except deers. I could use my 30-06 to kill a rabbit or squirrels but not deers.

Ya, doesn't make a lick of sense. I can shoot a .308 from the ground up into the trees for a squirrel, but can shoot it from a tree down to the ground at deer. Sounds bass ackwards to me.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have moved on from My Contender phase in hunting, but there was a time that you couldn't add a stock to a pistol like that. I was thinking there was a minimum length of the barrel.

One can add a buttstock to a handgun, if a 16" or longer bbl is put on first.

Converting rifles to handguns requires NFA stamp. Those items then registered as Short Barrelled Rifles (SBR) and while they can exist in handgun form, they are considered rifles (if it left the manufacturer as a rifle, it's a rifle forever).

BTW, you can hunt with an SBR in IN, even for deer, if it shoots a deer spec cartridge.

Handguns converted to rifle.........no big deal, as long as the 16 inch bbl is put on first.

The issue with Contenders was with the "carbine kit". The Gov argued about the kit, and lost, in '92.

Stephen P. Halbrook, Ph.D. - United States v. Thompson/Center Arms Co.

My rig has a 16.25" bbl on it.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'm close to a high powered rifle. My Handi-Rifle in .357 Maximum is getting a 200 grain .35 Remington bullet to around 2300 fps. That is essentially a .35 Remington.

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    Yes, because that happens hundreds of times each year in the multitude of states that allow highpower rifles for whitetail hunting...a stream of innocent human blood running from bystanders hit by a hail of errant hunters' bullets.

Gimme a break.

Your break is why the legislators took the highpower off the books. It's fairly old history... All you have to do is look it up...

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Quote:

Your break is why the legislators took the highpower off the books. It's fairly old history... All you have to do is look it up...

Forgive my ignorance, but what legislative action are you referencing?

TIA.

I'd like to see that too.

The use or non-use of a "high powered" rifle for any hunting goes through the DNR and NRC, not the legislature. Not saying that the individual legislators cant influence the DNR and NRc but I have never seen any legislation on the subject.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Me three...struck out finding any history on Google.

Florida has nearly 300% the population of Indiana with just 60% more land area with a topography not unlike Indiana, and they allow centerfires for whitetail...

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    O.K. I googled it, and it wasn't readily available, but I know back in the 70's was when they took the high powered rifles off the table because of property damage and manslaughter issues. Seeing and Hearing opening day when the sun comes up, could you imagine hearing a bunch of yay who's popping off high caliber rifles at phantom deer because they want to hear the gun go boom? I don't want to live in that free fire zone. Sorry to lead to some info that you might have to go to the library for, but I was alive and around then...

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    MickeyBlueEyes said:
    Seeing and Hearing opening day when the sun comes up, could you imagine hearing a bunch of yay who's popping off high caliber rifles at phantom deer because they want to hear the gun go boom? I don't want to live in that free fire zone.

Yeah...that doesn't happen in Kentucky, where I've hunted with a centerfire rifle for the last 16 years.

There was a tragic accidental shooting 9-10 years ago near my family's farm where a hunter very stupidly shot at a sound and ended up hitting and killing his son, who was one of a handful of hunters doing a deer drive. This, despite the son wearing blaze orange. Father ended up committing suicide after his son bled out. I watched the UK Hospital helicopter circle to land from my treestand.

Could have happened just the same with a shotgun.

Like I said earlier, shotgun or rifle, ya can't fix or legislate away stupid.

Top Bottom