• ...and so much more!
  • 22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Good thread.

I just went to the shades state part last saturday. what a blast. We took a pack with snacks and water but we were not preparied for the mud/water. so we are now looking at better gear for day hikes.

We took the dog and went with a coworker and her B/f. They were nice to watch the dog while we hit one of the trails he could not handle. I can't wait to get moved down to indy so we can make the parks a day trip without the dog.

If anyone that knows the parks/trails ever wants someone to tag along let me know.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Thanks, everyone. I didn't think there would be so many opportunities!

On topographic maps: Do you buy them on site or do you procure them elsewhere?

Honestly, I was 16 at the time, and the maps were provided for me. I'm sure if you check out the DNR site or maybe even some of the sporting goods stores in the area, they might have them or know where to find them. :) *Looks to our local "sticks" employee for confirmation*

Google found these sites though:

Indiana Topographical Maps - Aerial Photos

Indiana Maps from Omni Resources, world leader in map supply.

Indiana Topo Maps | Indiana Topographic Maps

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    On topographic maps: Do you buy them on site or do you procure them elsewhere?
    The best "local" place for maps of any sort is Odyssey Map Store (902 N. Delaware, IIRC). I know, not close for many, but they are truly a mom & pop operation, and I always enjoy supporting my local businesses.:cheers:
    I highly recommend the "trails illustrated" topo maps. They are usually pretty up to date and cost effective. Go with the "plastic" maps where possible, as they really stand up to inclement weather much better than paper.:cool:
    The local "sporting" stores like Dicks and Gander have a few maps, but selection can be pretty spotty. Odyssey has tons, and what they don't have, they will certainly order. Very friendly and helpful folks...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Another place to mention is Morgan Monroe State Forest, south of Martinsville. Turn east off 37 and follow the signs a few miles It seems to have a lot less traffic than the state parks do. Backcountry camping is available and free. I read that one of the trails in MMSF continues all the way into Yellow Wood State Forest and is a ~36 mile trail, but did not hike its entirety, only a few miles. MMSF also has medium length loops. And its relatively close to Indy.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Just make sure it's somewhere I'm allowed to carry a firearm. That way when I'm nearly dead, rather than leave me to be eaten by wild animals, I can shoot myself.

;)

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Just make sure it's somewhere I'm allowed to carry a firearm. That way when I'm nearly dead, rather than leave me to be eaten by wild animals, I can shoot myself.

;)

Oh don't worry man! If it comes to that I'll shoot you! And then of course, I'll cook and eat you.

Hmmm... was that out loud?

Top Bottom