• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    So I'm planning a hiking trip with some friends for later this year in California. (Through hiking the JMT for those hikers on here)

I have been doing some research and haven't liked the results so was wondering if anyone on INGO has a solution. I would prefer to carry a large revolver for the trip but know there is no way that I would get approved to do this as I'm an Indiana resident. I considered an AOW but found out it would essentially be counted as a handgun and have the same problem. Does anyone have any ideas of what can legally work?

Any legal alternatives are appreciated, but I know this might be a lost cause.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I'll be the first to say it....change trip plans to hike in a free state.

Other than that, good luck, but I don't think there's an option to carry anything bigger than a pocket knife in the PRC.

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    I have done a few weeks on the AT and would love to hike the JMT someday. I'm not the most up to date on the gun laws out there, but I'd be hesitant to carry anything more than a solid fixed blade and/or a good bear fogger. Good luck and have fun when you go...be sure to post pics when you get back.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'll be the first to say it....change trip plans to hike in a free state.

Other than that, good luck, but I don't think there's an option to carry anything bigger than a pocket knife in the PRC.

Yep, don't take your money there to support their anti-2A actions. This is a big country, lots of trails.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    There are three parts, and you can only pick two.
    1. Hike in California
    2. Carry a handgun
    3. Follow the law

I would choose to drop #1.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    OP, in an admittedly cursory look at CA firearms law ( :puke:), and recalling IANAL, it seems like you might be able to carry something like a lever action rifle in pistol caliber in unincorporated areas, which a lot of the John Muir seems to be. The level of research necessary to be confident in the bedrock legality of this does seem daunting, though. I think I'd try to contact some CA based hiking group that is also 2A friendly (ranchers, perhaps?) to get the basic lay of the land.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I have done a few weeks on the AT and would love to hike the JMT someday. I'm not the most up to date on the gun laws out there, but I'd be hesitant to carry anything more than a solid fixed blade and/or a good bear fogger. Good luck and have fun when you go...be sure to post pics IF you get back.

FTFY

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    So with some thinking here, you guys have never taken yourself or family to say, Washington, DC to see all the museums and monuments that DC has to offer ??? Or NYC to see Times Square and take the wife to see the Rocketts or a Broadway Show ??

You know, Indiana Beach is not the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean.
    Just sayin..

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    What are the laws regarding black powder revolvers in the PRC.

As far as I could find, a BP pistol is not considered loaded and MIGHT be able to be carried if you didn't put a cap on a nipple.

But out if I am wrong, I'll still be in Indiana, drinking beer. And the OP will be in jail. For what it's worth.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    So with some thinking here, you guys have never taken yourself or family to say, Washington, DC to see all the museums and monuments that DC has to offer ??? Or NYC to see Times Square and take the wife to see the Rocketts or a Broadway Show ??

You know, Indiana Beach is not the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean.

Just sayin..
    No and no. However, I have been to CA a handful of times.

OP, are you wanting to carry a firearm for protection from people or animals?

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Having hiked the Sierras many times as I grew up in California. Here's some thoughts:
    1) The bears aren't the risk you might think. Take bear spray and fuggedaboutit.
    2) Assuming that you are driving out there - stock up on gear in Nevada or something - that way you spend very few $ in CA. Fill up your tank in Reno or Vegas depending on if you are going North or South
    3) If you are worried about people - the Sierras is the last place you need to worry about them. You are a LONG ways from the cities or a place that you would need to sweat it much.
    4) Relax and have a good time.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    If you're gonna go with Cali I'd take a 5 or 6 inch fixed blade knife and Bear spray. However, I'm backpacking in Utah next year. Watch out mountain lions! :ar15:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    What are the laws regarding black powder revolvers in the PRC.

My question exactly...I'd do some research on these and see what your options are! They may not be great for 'speedy' reloads...but during a bear attack, reloading is, typically, not something someone focuses on!

If I had an extra $2K sittin' around...I'd get this bad boy: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=537669553

What are your long-gun options? Good 'ole .30-30'll do the job in most situations...and ammo is readily available, even at Wally-World!

That...and carry a good 6-8" knife + some bear spray!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom