• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    My first time out west was last year to Colorado. Loved it. On the way back we jumped up to Cheyanne and only spent a couple hours before hitting the road East. I really enjoy 80 mph speed limits

Wyoming is definitely a place I want to check out again. And more I depth. Even Cheyanne didn’t feel like a state capitol, it was quiet on a Sunday morning and just so much history with the railroad. So I don’t have any guidance for you other than saying have fun because it sounds like a great trip!!

on the way back on I-80 in NE there’s a rest area that has a special area where they have memorialized a wagon trail. I assume it’s legit! We made a pit stop For it lol

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    First went out to the area in 2007 (Yellowstone, Devil's Tower area) and got to return in 2018 (Yellowstone and surrounding areas). Our 2018 trip was in August and that year there were a lot of fires around YNP but I don't think any in the park. Just be aware that this could be an issue. I didn't really smell any smoke, but my photos aren't as clear as they could've been. Anyways, here is what I suggest:

Wyoming: Hiking galore, lots of different places.

If you want a spectacular drive with some hiking and have the time, drive the Beartooth (US 212) and Chief Joseph (WY-296) highways. The Chief Joseph is mostly a scenic road with some things to checkout. The Beartooth is more scenic, higher alpine driving, and has a lot more stuff to checkout and tons of high, and mostly flat (as you are already in elevation) hiking. The Beartooth is considered the main scenic byway and the Chief Joseph T-intersects it east of the Cooke City-Silver Gate area in Montana. The Chief Joseph also works its way down to Cody, WY, so there is a circular path where one could come in from S. Dakota, drive through the Big Horn Mountains using one of the US-14 routes, to Cody. Then from Cody head out on WY-120 to WY-296. Take WY-296 to the Beartooth. Consider booking a place to stay for the night, or two, in the Cooke City-Silver Gate area. Leave that area and drive the Beartooth over the day to Red Lodge, MT. Along the Beartooth stop and checkout the following for sure: Clay Butte Fire Lookout tower, Top of the World Store, Beartooth Pass Vista Point, and Rock Creek Vista. There are also numerous pull-offs you'll pass along the route, with short walks/hikes to waterfalls, lakes, and possibly other things of interest. I recall that some of the hiking on the north side of the road was a bunch of connected trails which connect to various points of interest, but also go into the back-country. I wasn't able to hike any during our road trip, but I'd like to eventually get back and take in some day hiking while the wife chills out at one of the towns. Beartooth Highway ? On-line Maps | Beartooth Highway | Montana & Wyoming Scenic Drives

Never been, but the Big Horn Mountains have US-14 and US-14 ALT that run through them. Heard some good things about that area, one being it is usually less crowded compared to the YNP area.

Devil's Tower is a must visit. Most people show up, hangout at the visitor center and leave (some don't even enter the park, just take photos from afar and head on to their destination). There is about a two mile long circular trail around the base. It is flat and very easy, scenic hiking. Hiking this trail is a must do for anyone who is into hiking and being active outdoors. It gets you away from the hordes for a bit and you see views that most people won't.

South Dakota: Most hiking here is shorter from what I recall. There is a very short, easy trail that goes down to the base of Mt. Rushmore. Again, another trail that gets one away from the crowds. There was also hiking in Custer State Park and Badlands National Park, but I didn't do any serious hiking during that trip.

Also- could anyone recommend a good backpack for day hiking?

You don't have to spend a lot on a pack. If you like the plastic water bags, you'll want one with a slot for those (along with an opening the mouthpiece goes through). I personally like a pack that has a lot of external side compartments and straps. It allows you to get to things without digging through the main compartment. I have this basic Ozark Trail pack from Walmart. My hiking sticks fit in the the bungee ties along the side and they hold and lock tight (I use my sticks on the way down, not usually up). I don't use a water bag (yet) but like having colder water. The side packets are great for an insulated water bottle which keeps ice for hours. They are deep and secure fairly well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-36L-Kachemak-Hydration-Compatible-Backpack/49916097

Last edited:

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Oh yeah, Beartooth, that reminds me, checkout Grasshopper Glacier, go to Cooke City, MT. Don't remember if you can hike to it from Cooke City or if you need a jeep to get you close before hiking.

Glock22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Bedford
    First went out to the area in 2007 (Yellowstone, Devil's Tower area) and got to return in 2018 (Yellowstone and surrounding areas). Our 2018 trip was in August and that year there were a lot of fires around YNP but I don't think any in the park. Just be aware that this could be an issue. I didn't really smell any smoke, but my photos aren't as clear as they could've been. Anyways, here is what I suggest:

Wyoming: Hiking galore, lots of different places.

If you want a spectacular drive with some hiking and have the time, drive the Beartooth (US 212) and Chief Joseph (WY-296) highways. The Chief Joseph is mostly a scenic road with some things to checkout. The Beartooth is more scenic, higher alpine driving, and has a lot more stuff to checkout and tons of high, and mostly flat (as you are already in elevation) hiking. The Beartooth is considered the main scenic byway and the Chief Joseph T-intersects it east of the Cooke City-Silver Gate area in Montana. The Chief Joseph also works its way down to Cody, WY, so there is a circular path where one could come in from S. Dakota, drive through the Big Horn Mountains using one of the US-14 routes, to Cody. Then from Cody head out on WY-120 to WY-296. Take WY-296 to the Beartooth. Consider booking a place to stay for the night, or two, in the Cooke City-Silver Gate area. Leave that area and drive the Beartooth over the day to Red Lodge, MT. Along the Beartooth stop and checkout the following for sure: Clay Butte Fire Lookout tower, Top of the World Store, Beartooth Pass Vista Point, and Rock Creek Vista. There are also numerous pull-offs you'll pass along the route, with short walks/hikes to waterfalls, lakes, and possibly other things of interest. I recall that some of the hiking on the north side of the road was a bunch of connected trails which connect to various points of interest, but also go into the back-country. I wasn't able to hike any during our road trip, but I'd like to eventually get back and take in some day hiking while the wife chills out at one of the towns. Beartooth Highway ? On-line Maps | Beartooth Highway | Montana & Wyoming Scenic Drives

Never been, but the Big Horn Mountains have US-14 and US-14 ALT that run through them. Heard some good things about that area, one being it is usually less crowded compared to the YNP area.

Devil's Tower is a must visit. Most people show up, hangout at the visitor center and leave (some don't even enter the park, just take photos from afar and head on to their destination). There is about a two mile long circular trail around the base. It is flat and very easy, scenic hiking. Hiking this trail is a must do for anyone who is into hiking and being active outdoors. It gets you away from the hordes for a bit and you see views that most people won't.

South Dakota: Most hiking here is shorter from what I recall. There is a very short, easy trail that goes down to the base of Mt. Rushmore. Again, another trail that gets one away from the crowds. There was also hiking in Custer State Park and Badlands National Park, but I didn't do any serious hiking during that trip.

You don't have to spend a lot on a pack. If you like the plastic water bags, you'll want one with a slot for those (along with an opening the mouthpiece goes through). I personally like a pack that has a lot of external side compartments and straps. It allows you to get to things without digging through the main compartment. I have this basic Ozark Trail pack from Walmart. My hiking sticks fit in the the bungee ties along the side and they hold and lock tight (I use my sticks on the way down, not usually up). I don't use a water bag (yet) but like having colder water. The side packets are great for an insulated water bottle which keeps ice for hours. They are deep and secure fairly well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-36L-Kachemak-Hydration-Compatible-Backpack/49916097
    Thanks for the information, this is very helpful

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Mount Rushmore would be worth the trip. Check to be sure COVID-19 hasn't shut it down.

I'll have to disagree on this one. Out of all the places I visited on my cross country road trip in 2019, this was at the bottom of the list. Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills, Badlands at sunset, and Yellowstone are so much better. Rushmore is one of these "when you've seen it once, you've seen it all" type deals for me.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    I'll have to disagree on this one. Out of all the places I visited on my cross country road trip in 2019, this was at the bottom of the list. Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills, Badlands at sunset, and Yellowstone are so much better. Rushmore is one of these "when you've seen it once, you've seen it all" type deals for me.

Suppose it depends on who you're traveling with. In my case it was offspring and he enjoyed the entertainment found in Keystone. Had you said Crazy Horse I'd agree 110%.

Top Bottom