• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    the pressure regulator may sometimes make a hissing sound, but if you have never heard it before & you don't have a large gas use right now get it checked out..
    if gas company won't check it , your local fire department will have a detector also..

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    I was just letting the dog out, and I heard a hissing sound from where the utility meter is. No gas smell, just the sound. Am I correct in assuming this is not normal? What is the protocol on this, will the gas company come out and take a look? It's outside the house, and outside the fence, will I need to be home? Will it cost me anything? Can I claim they billed me for to much gas since my meter is apparently leaking?

Put some liquid soap (Dial or Dawn) in a spray bottle with water (shake to mix) and spray around the connections on the meter. If you see bubbles, then there is a leak (call the gas company and tell them what you did), otherwise it is the sound of the gas moving through the pipe.

Gas-Shutoff.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Methyl mercaptan is typical. Smells bad. It may just be the valve singing due to the particular flow rate, but if you've been around it much and this is a new sound in your experience, better safe than paying a huge bill because the leak is after the meter. Or something like that. Call them.

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    You may hear a hissing sound due to the load being placed on the meter set. Sometimes they can really "sing". If it hisses when all gas appliances are turned off, then it is probably a leak somewhere. If the hiss stops when all gas appliances are turned off, then it isn't a leak. Using a soapy solution in a spray bottle is good advice. Put it on all the joints, screws, etc. at the meter and the exposed piping outside. Bubbles means you have a leak, and sometimes they can form slowly. The odorant is added at the purchase station where the gas utility buys the gas from the transmission company. They then send it through their distribution system to you. The odorant rate is regulated to a minimum according to DOT standards, but each utility company odorizes at their own rate. The gas traveling through the transmission lines is not odorized. I happen to know a little about this, since I am an engineer for a gas utility company.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I was just letting the dog out, and I heard a hissing sound from where the utility meter is. No gas smell, just the sound. Am I correct in assuming this is not normal?

If you find a large snake (coiled or uncoiled) near the utility meter, this sound is completely normal. :yesway:

Top Bottom