• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm not a fan of the drama, but if it sucks viewers in from other shows and gets them thinking that shooting sure does look like fun, then I can live with it.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I've been following the DVR when time allows, cool show altogether. Wish I could be part of those competitions!

KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    I was mostly disapointed with the distance of rifle targets. If these guys are some of the best shots in the country dont you think they should be a little farther out then 100 yds in most cases. Also I didnt like the team idea cause if you were on the better team then not as good shooters could sneak into the finals instead of the best shooters. Maybe they will change it for season 2

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I think the last two epsiodes actually picked the best shooter (out of those that survived the drama filled first few episodes). It's hard to argue that the episodes (team competition) leading up to the final two weeks had anything to do with selecting the Top Shot. As someone already mentioned, when some competitors sit out entire challenges you can't say that everyone was tested.

Everyone should have shot every challenge. No free passes. No voting. If you must have teams, you have to be eliminated by your shooting skiils (lack thereof) letting you down.

It's TV though and the producers have bills to pay. Pure competition would have made for poor ratings outside our shooting community.

ThePhantom86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    Columbus
    Sucks that neither Pete nor JJ made it to the final. It was a great episode though and hopefully next season will be like the final episodes.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I wanted to see Peter win honestly. Now if they would make the next show more shooting, and less like the Hills. I would actually watch the whole thing. Not just the shooting segments, to see who got eliminated. Plus the host needs pimp slapped. He talks to damn much.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    and he says "I'm sorry so and so but you HAVE fired your last shot" too much, they get it, they're going home, we don't need the cheesy catch phrase.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    No doubt! My wife about flipped her **** when she realized that his melodramatic play-by-play was being done live and not as a voice-over.
    n00b.gif

Takes big cojones to be that annoying in the middle of a bunch of people with guns.
    icon_lol.gif
    Well, if a little talking bothers them enough to effect their shot, then they aren't really the best of the best now are they? I wonder if it would be better to have simulated artillery fire and such....

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I just finished the show. I had a couple of thoughts.

1. This is better than most of the other "gun" shows on TV. I.E. Handguns, Guns and ammo TV, or anything else that just turns into a big commercial.

2. Why weren't there more gun commercials? This would be a perfect time for them to break into the MSM.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    It wasn't so much that (talking might bother my wife when she's shooting, but probably not the competitors), as it was him sounding like a colossal dork. :):

It is very cheesy, but it is the style used by all of the reality shows. The only other one I regularly watch is Biggest Loser (mainly for inspiration to keep dragging my butt out of bed at O Dark Hundred to go to the gym). The hostess there sounds exactly like host on Top Shot, right down to the way they phrase things "X Team coming on strong." "Y Team needs to pick up the pace." "Z Team working hard." And of course they have to have the "goodbye" catch phrase. "You are not the biggest loser" or "you have fired your last shot."

It's all just a formula, and one that can be easily redone for nearly any kind of reality show. Who needs writers? Just change the cheesy lines to fit the theme of the show and you're done.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Well, if a little talking bothers them enough to effect their shot, then they aren't really the best of the best now are they? I wonder if it would be better to have simulated artillery fire and such....
    When some of the guys were talking about the pressure, I liked what Pete said. Something like we are shooting at targets. Nobody is shooting back!

Old Reliable

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I just finished watching the show (via hulu). I did enjoy it, but the "reality formula" is definitely there.

Oh, I was happy that my girlfriend would watch it with me. Something about reality tv seems to draw in most of the women I know.

Now I have to search this thread to see if anyone else was amazed that the 1911 never made an appearance.

Last edited:

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I just finished watching the show (via hulu). I did enjoy it, but the "reality formula" is definitely there.

Oh, I was happy that my girlfriend would watch it with me. Something about reality tv seems to draw in most of the women I know.

Now I have to search this thread to see if anyone else was amazed that the 1911 never made an appearance.

I am amazed, now that you mention it. Is there anything else anyone was expecting to show up that didn't. I would have liked to see them striking matches with a .22!

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Did anyone happen to catch "Extreme Marksmen" on History Channel last night? I believe I had seen it before. It was interesting to me because they had trick shooters doing many of the things we saw on challenges for Top Shot:

- The Annie Oakley mirror shot
    - Hand tossed clay pigeons
    - Driving nails
    - cutting rope with a Winchester
    - Precision archery.
    - And others I'm not remembering

OK, so we didn't see dual 105mm howitzers...though that would have been a cool team competition. :D

I know many of these are classic trick shots, it just seemed interesting how many of them showed up in Top Shot.

Top Bottom