• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am sure there are other reasons, but most lever guns are tube feeders, which does not allow pointy tipped spitzer type bullets. Also, I cannot say if anything can be done about it, but most lever guns have pretty poor triggers. I think there is also a strength issue. Most lever guns are low pressure cartridges while the bolt actions handle the 55,000 to 62,000 PSI cartridges just fine. Even some loading manuals have diiferent loading data for different rifles. That said, for carrying on a pack, for scouting, for hunting in the woods, a 30/30 is pretty hard to beat.

Last edited:

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Also from the military standpoint, the Lever gun can not be shot as well from the Prone position like the Bolt action gun...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Complexity of the innards is another reason.

There isn't "one" reason the switch was made, it was many.

-J-

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Tradition.
    Pikemen became musket shooters. The bayonet was a pike to use after you fired your shot and were close enough to stab your enemy.
    The two-piece stock of the lever action is not strong enough to use as a spear.

American military leaders have a tradition of always fighting the current war using the last war's techniques. Thus, the pike remains.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    World War I and the 03 Springfield.

Bingo, also the M1917 (aka:"Enfield") and the Krag-Jorgenson that preceded them. Many thousands of people got 'schooled' in the use of the BA and learned to appreciate the several practical advantages they offered over earlier designs.

Cartridge evolution was also a large factor, IMO. "Smokeless" propellants led to the adoption of higher pressure/velocity cartridges and the advent of "spitzer" projectiles significantly increased the effective range at which a competent marksman could expect to deliver accurate hits.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    World War I and the 03 Springfield.

The Springfield '03 was adopted because of the shortcomings of another bolt gun, the non Mauser pattern Krag Jorgensen after the Spanish American War and well before the First World War. The military never ditched the lever gun because they never adopted it to begin with. The lever has always sold to sportsmen in large numbers.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Don't know if strength was ever an issue, I believe the 1895 Win. chambered the 30-06.
    Ease of manufacturing and field stripping for maintenance was. A few issues back the Rifleman {NRA} published an article on the 94 Win. issued to the Spruce patrol, guards that cruised the timber in the Washington , Oregon, during WW2. So the government did issue lever guns on a limited basis..........:@ya:......Duce<><

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    The Springfield '03 was adopted because of the shortcomings of another bolt gun, the non Mauser pattern Krag Jorgensen after the Spanish American War and well before the First World War. The military never ditched the lever gun because they never adopted it to begin with. The lever has always sold to sportsmen in large numbers.

You mean besides the Henry Rifle and the Spencer Rifle? :dunno:

Heavily used by our military around the Civil War era

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The military never ditched the lever gun because they never adopted it to begin with. The lever has always sold to sportsmen in large numbers.

Except for the Henry's and the Spencers in the CIvil War but the inventors had to go around the Generals and straight to Lincoln in order to get the military to buy them. Our Generals were always afraid soldiers would "waste" ammo and were slow to adopt anything that would encourage that. The Krag was made so you could load it single shot and only go to the rounds in the magazine if needed. In the Spanish American War we learned it's shortcomings and learned that bolt rifles with stripper clips were the future and paid Mauser a percentage to be able to use stripper clips in the '03. What Indy man said about the complexity of the lever guns actions also played an important role. I know that Russia bought a crap load of Winchester 1895's in 7.62x54 that took a bayonet, had a full length stock, sling swivels, and the ability to take stripper clips and they were very popular. A buddy of mine picked one up at a pawn shop the other day for $700 and it was heavily used.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    You mean besides the Henry Rifle and the Spencer Rifle? :dunno:

Heavily used by our military around the Civil War era

The US military never adopted these guns for general issue. During the Civil War many guns were used by certain units or even individuals for the duration that were never adopted or approved for general issue on a permanent basis.
    The military issue rifle ditched in favor of the bolt action in US service was the single shot breechloading Springfield commonly known as the Trap Door.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Don't know if strength was ever an issue, I believe the 1895 Win. chambered the 30-06.
    Ease of manufacturing and field stripping for maintenance was. A few issues back the Rifleman {NRA} published an article on the 94 Win. issued to the Spruce patrol, guards that cruised the timber in the Washington , Oregon, during WW2. So the government did issue lever guns on a limited basis..........:@ya:......Duce<><

Correct , the 1895 Win lever action chambered in 30-06 was introduced in 1908.

EODThree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Brazil

My post contained TWO reasons which are not necessarily two sides of the same coin.

Top Bottom