• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    On my way to work this morning bambi was trying to get back at me for this past fall. Well, I have a q. Does indiana have a law that doesn't allow a insurance company to raise rates for a comprehensive filing? Im going to get ab estimate on it tomorrow to see how much the damage is.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I'd be surprised if any reputable insurance company raised your rate after hitting one deer.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    There are no laws that regulate what insurance companies charge for claims per se....they all file their own rates and rules with the Department of Insurance and each company is free to charge as they have filed and been approved by the Department of Insurance.

The DOI can reject the companies rate filings and this is the "only law" that governs how each company charges for their claims.

There is a state Unfair Claims Practices Act that governs how companies must handle and pay claims etc but that does not affect how they elect to file their rates.

By the way, all insurance company rate filings are public record and anyone can go to the DOI and look them up.

AR Maker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Morgan County-MSG2
    Keep in mind im not a lawyer but it is my understanding you can file a tort claim against the State of a Indiana for damages to your vechicle as a result of a deer colision. Please correct me if im wrong.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Your rates are going up. They have some way of calculating based on how long you have been with them and how often you make claims, etc. I just posed this question to my insurance company (Progressive). My wife's car is in for repairs and I asked the insurance representative how this would affect my rates. She had an explanation that told me that it might go up with my next renewal. I said that my policy renews in May. She then said that it could stay the same and then go up at the following renewal. But nobody seems to really know how much or when.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Your agent is the best person to ask about possible rate changes. It seems like each insurance company has a different way of calculating what will affect rates. Things that I've heard that might affect rates include: frequency of claims, the $$ amount of any claim(s), reason for the claims ... and I believe that credit ratings can also affect claim rates.
    My suggestions is that after you get your estimate, talk with your agent to see if you turn this into a comprehensive claim what it will due to your rates. One of my estimator's always says that having an agent is similar to having an attorney on retainer. That part of why you have an agent is to be able to ask for their advice.

And of course if you need an estimate don't forget that we are located in Avon. :)
    Debbie Moore - stepping in for Allen

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    This is my first claim ever on any vehicle and have had the same insurance (Salem) since I started driving. ANd as far as estimates....I live way up north compared to you. :)

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I had a comp claim for a bottle of StarSan that spilled in my 6 month old truck, ruined the carpet, $1400 later new carpet. A month later I hit a deer coming home from a motocross race, $6K damage. My premium went up about $10/mo even though I was assured comp claims have nothing to do with it. Ahem...cough.cough.bull****.cough...cough

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    I have had 3 claims of hail damage in the past couple of years 1 with Progressive and 2 with State Farm and a coon hit on the front of a car. All were deemed comprehensive and were never surcharged for any. My SF agent told me a deer hit or a "hit while parked" or any comprehensive claims are not chargeable in Indiana as at "fault" claims ie they do not affect your rates. my kid totaled a Ford Taurus hitting a deer and she has not been affected either. don't take my word but just passing my experience!

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Keep in mind im not a lawyer but it is my understanding you can file a tort claim against the State of a Indiana for damages to your vechicle as a result of a deer colision. Please correct me if im wrong.

I have also heard that there is some way to get the state to reimburse you for the damages. On another note, did you get to keep the deer?

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I have hit 3 deer in 8 years with the same truck. All resulted in about $1200-$1400 damage to the front end, all were virtually identical incidents and my rates did not go up. I have been with the same insurance carrier for 22 years.

Dirty Steve

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    While I have had several deer collisions in the last 8~10 years, I never noticed an immediate substantial increase in my premiums.
    That having been said, I'm not naive enough to believe that my collisions and those of others were free. The cost of the ever increasing deer population is landing squarely on us.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I have also heard that there is some way to get the state to reimburse you for the damages. On another note, did you get to keep the deer?

No the back legs and im sure the back straps were toast. With everything being said how do I get the state to reimburse me for the deductible?

Top Bottom