Hit the Range Yesterday! And FUN with Tracers!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What an awesome day Sunday was!

My wife, son and I made the trip down to Brown County to spend some time with my parents. My Dad (who just signed up on INGO, but I don't know who he is yet. . .) had just received a new shipment of ammo, so we decided to hit the range. Part of this shipment included 100 5.56 tracer rounds, but more on that later. . .

We kept it simple, each bringing our Glock 19's. We'll be attending the Gunsite class in Lebanon in the Fall, and these will be our primary pistols. Dad also brought his Colt 1911 for some variety.

We spent just over an hour going through simple drills-- shooting double taps, drawing and firing, etc.

Then my 21-year-old sister joined us. She shot both Glocks. After some easy coaching on stance and grip, she started shooting tighter and tighter groups. She quit for the day just after shooting a 5" group around the 10-ring. (Yes ryanmercer, she is single. . .) lol

Ok, now fast forward to after we ate a steak dinner (thanks Dad!).

Being that Dad and I are purposely trying to be more hillbilly these days, we thought it would be fun to shoot 5.56 tracer rounds off the back porch @ 9pm. We loaded up 2 PMAGS with 50 tracers and headed to the porch with the M4. We started shooting down toward the lake, which is down a hill, below the house.

It was great! Kind of like the 4th of July! Every once in a while a round would hit the water, or a hanging bowling pin down by the waters edge, and then shoot straight up above the tree line, just like fireworks. This had us a bit perplexed, wondering what exactly it was that was shooting sky-high. . . Was it the bullet? Or a fragment? Maybe some of your tracer guru's can help shed some light on it.

But here's where it gets really. . . interesting. So my sister takes over and starts nailing the bowling pins. Like before, one of the rounds shoots straight up, glowing bright red, and lands on the opposite side of the lake into the woods. Then we see a small dot of light. Then a flicker. And another flicker. And another. OH S**T!

Dad takes off for the barn and gets the 4-wheeler and a flashlight. I run inside the house and grab a fire extinguisher. I then run to the barn, grab a shovel, and hop on the 4-wheeler with Dad. We tear through the woods, trying to get across the lake. Keep in mind that this is a 3-acre lake, so we had to go around half of it. When we get to the other side my sister yells over that she saw the flame go out. We search around with the flashlight for about 5 minutes, all the while laughing so hard we can barely breathe (or maybe that's because of all the running). No more fire. The ground was damp enough that we figure a leaf or two burned, but then went out once it met the ground. We came back to the house looking like a couple of college kids who just got caught pulling a prank.

We then put the tracers away for the night.

So all-in-all a great time! We can't wait to get some fellow INGOers out to the range this year to have more fun! Dad says the new smoker is ready to go!

Top Bottom