• ...and so much more!
  • g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    just read this on cheaperthandirt web site under forums:
    HK has been awarded a new contract with marine corp. for their new IAR,
    it's the M27, a variant of the HK416 (sorry I don't know how to transfer a link) anyone else heard of this?

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    Yep and they are about to get another big contract for some other items. I spent alot of time ont he phone with HK USA over the last couple weeks

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    Very sweet i remember seeing the hk 416 on future weapons. Thing performed well in what they showed. I believe hk also has 417 that uses 7.62 round not sure if x39 or 51 though but sweet none the less.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Very sweet i remember seeing the hk 416 on future weapons. Thing performed well in what they showed. I believe hk also has 417 that uses 7.62 round not sure if x39 or 51 though but sweet none the less.

It would be a 7.62x51. The military would not be purchasing new rifles chambered in 7.62x39.

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    Thanks for that 930. I suppose it would be stupid not to use a nato round my bad lol. Future weapons made the hk416 seem pretty sweet. I was most impressed with how they designed it so the (not sure if proper term) bolt was cool to the touch.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    New Marine Corps Squad Automatic Weapon

Looks like the Marine Corps has decided on the new SAW. Here's a link to the HK weapons system they chose: Scribd

I found the Corps decision to stay with the .223 a big disappointment. Since Vietnam, everyone seems to agree that the .223 lacks penetration and stopping power. The 7.62 rounds seem to be a more logical choice. Our enemies weapons of choice almost always are 7.62 X 39 platform. We're not out there hunting prairie dogs and coyotes.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Interesting. I kinda thought they'd make a switch to a larger round as well. I'm assuming the number rounds a person can carry must be making a big part of this decision. Perhaps inventory is another. Seems like effectiveness of the round should be a key factor in there somewhere.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    What happened to the FN made heavy barrel AR variant? Or am I way off track here. I don't know alot about this sort of thing and get confused.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Correct me if I am on the wrong path here, but IIRC the SAW is used for supressive fire, for the most part, correct? Wouldn't you want to be able to carry a larger quantity of ammo for that purpose?
    I can understand the need for a larger round for use in the standard combat rifle, but to me it makes sense to have a lighter weight more economical round in a weapon used for supression of the enemy to allow others to move.

Of course, I am a squid so take the above with a grain of salt.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I found the Corps decision to stay with the .223 a big disappointment. Since Vietnam, everyone seems to agree that the .223 lacks penetration and stopping power. The 7.62 rounds seem to be a more logical choice. Our enemies weapons of choice almost always are 7.62 X 39 platform. We're not out there hunting prairie dogs and coyotes.

And the diff between OUR 7.62 (x51) and THEIR 7.62x39 is a HUGE thing. 5.56 is doing okay, is more cost effective and does the job. Screaming about poodle shooting and such is "been there and done that" with the forum.

That being said, though, for an area supression weapon, maybe something like an M60? :D Oh, wait, we got rid of those due to weight, ammo cost and better penetration with M855 at longer ranges than 7.62 NATO. I think they made the right choice with the SAW and 5.56, just needed something better for desert conditions...

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    imgres
    The 5.56 round is perfect for a squad sized element. You can carry more, IT IS EFFECTIVE ON MAN SIZED TARGETS, and with modern offerings, it is becoming more effective.

I have seen personally what 5.56 does to a human inside of 200 meters and the results are impressive. It penetrates just fine for what it is designed to do. Of course it is not a .308 or the like. The 5.56 out performs the 7.62X39 at distance 11 times out of 10.

The new Marine Corps M27 is controversial of course. It is a heavy barreled AR style weapon with fully automatic capability. It is lighter then the M249 and will serve squads well in the mountains of Afg where weight is a serious issue. It is not replacing the M249, but supplementing it for specific ops. Being a AR style weapon, it is going to be very easy to integrate into the ranks.

I know I felt a lot better maneuvering when the 249 started ripping through belts and suppressing the enemy.

images

Last edited:

Hkfiend

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    in the Ford Galaxy
    I can personally not argue with the effectiveness of the 5.56mm as I've seen it work, at least between 10 and 200 yards. As far as their new pick in manufacturer, I can't argue with that because H and K makes some fantastic stuff, even if they are selfish with their stuff

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Now I've heard, and only internet scuttlebutt, that the M249 was being a finicky pain and not reliable in the field, but also heavy, thus the reason for the replacement.

Personally, the idea of area supression arises the concept of a relatively constant volume of fire, not 30 rounds, load, 30 rounds, load, 30 rounds, load, 30 rounds, load. Maybe a reliable, sand proof STANAG drum mag for the HK that might migrate it's way to civilian hands? ;)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Now I've heard, and only internet scuttlebutt, that the M249 was being a finicky pain and not reliable in the field, but also heavy, thus the reason for the replacement.

Personally, the idea of area supression arises the concept of a relatively constant volume of fire, not 30 rounds, load, 30 rounds, load, 30 rounds, load, 30 rounds, load. Maybe a reliable, sand proof STANAG drum mag for the HK that might migrate it's way to civilian hands? ;)

The M249 is like every other weapon in the service. Some people like it, some people hate it. We had some of them with us and it's a nice peace of mind to have it around.

I agree strongly with the second part of this. If it's going to eb a full auto rifle then it needs more than a 30rd mag. Perhaps this is a perfect case to try out the new surfire 60 & 100 round mags. If all it is, is a glorified M16 with full auto then I don't see the point of it over an M16A3 which already has full auto.

Top Bottom