• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I don't see a need for the AR style either................the 249 does it's job and does it well, so does the 5.56............as was previously stated, some guys hate their weapons some love them...just as in the civilian world everyone has an opinion....on the other hand the weapon doesn't consistently malfunction as some people like to "rumor" about, if it was that inefficient it wouldn't still be in service...........most guys I served with, including machine gunners and myself love the 249....it's music to your ears when you need it

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I can understand wanting the rifle to look like the others so your machine gunners doesn't get picked off first. You want him the blend in. I just see why they don't give a heavier barreled m16 with full auto to everyone. The burst is nice, but auto would be better in some cases.

DKY197

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Monroe County
    imgres

....It is not replacing the M249, but supplementing it for specific ops. Being a AR style weapon, it is going to be very easy to integrate into the ranks...

They will only be retaining 9 M249s per infantry company, and those are only to be deployed at the direct discretion of the company CO.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I love all the armchair quarterbacks that claim the .223/5.56 round is not affective. Or have never packed around a full combat load, just sayin.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    If all it is, is a glorified M16 with full auto then I don't see the point of it over an M16A3 which already has full auto.

It is a variant of the HK416 which is a piston operated AR derivative. As such, it "should" run full auto longer/cooler with less care and a much longer lifespan than any DI M16.

That said, I still have a hard time understanding why this non-belt fed assault rifle is being used to replace a true light machine gun.

Best,

Joe

Top Bottom