HK VP9 -- Finally a serious new competitor?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    HK isn't new to striker fired pistols, they produced the VP70 and P7 after all, but for a coupe of decades they've turned their back on strikers in favor of double action autos. What I found odd about their absence from the striker fired market is that clearly American consumers favor the striker ignition system as evidenced by the soaring popularity of Glocks, M&P's and XD's.

We may never know reason for HK's abstinence, but thankfully it's now over and a new era of HK striker fired pistols is emerging from the historic German manufacturer.

I picked up my VP9 last week thinking it would be rather ho-hum... nothing to write home about. It doesn't look particularly impressive, dare I say it's a bit of an ugly duckling? I know, the irony of such a statement from a guy who carries a Glock 19 is almost too much to bear. At first glance it looked like a converted P30, in essence a lazy copout like the one taken by FNH when they introduced the FNS, not that the FNS is a bad pistol.

Then I fired it.

The first magazine left me less than enthused given I had to clear (3) malfunctions. Undeterred, I loaded a second magazine and gave the German girl a second chance -- and she didn't let me down. Now, some 500+ rounds later I've not had to clear any more failures. Whew. That, and it easily digests my favorite defensive load, the 147gr Gold Dot.

Typically I have a couple hundred round learning curve before I get a pistol to shoot exactly to point of aim. My groups will typically be left or right of center by an inch or two as I learn how to hold a new pistol and get a feel for the trigger. Not the VP9, I immediately chewed the center out of the X ring at 7 and 15 yards. The ergonomics are spot on for me. The only other handgun that felt this good in my hands and shot this well right out of the box for me was the Walther PPQ.

The trigger is almost outstanding, with the bar being set by the PPQ. It's close, very close, and clearly far superior to a factory Glock trigger and infinitely superior to a factory M&P trigger (which is one of the worst factory triggers on a modern striker gun, IMHO).

But my affair with the VP9 isn't all roses. There are a few things I have to work around, which is true of most any firearm.

First, the gun isn't ideal for carry given its size. The grip, with the magazine inserted, is about 1" longer than my G19. This is one of the most critical dimensions when it comes to hiding a pistol. That, and despite the increased grip length the VP9 only holds 15 rounds -- something the G19 accomplishes with it's abbreviated grip.

HK doesn't currently offer the pistol with night sights. C'mon folks, it's 2014. Make night sights available on new models, it's not particularly difficult to do.

Ok, now that I have that off my chest, I'll get back to the positive attributes.

Despite the rather large size the gun carries extremely well in my Contact! Concealment IWB holster. As a matter of fact, I've been carrying it the last two days and it disappears under a t-shirt and doesn't feel any more cumbersome than the G19 it replaced (trial period).

While it's too early to say the VP9 will replace my tried and true G19 as my daily carry for good, there is a very real possibly it will. The one thing the VP9 has over my G19 is a larger trigger guard which is something I need after this past winter. I found myself wearing heavy winter gloves much of the time when I'm out and about. I've discovered getting my gloved finger in my G19 isn't as easy as I feel it should be. The VP9 remedies this issue.

The price is also highly attractive. I'm seeing them as low as $589 with an average around $649. That's absolutely unreal for HK which is notorious for its outrageous prices on most every other handgun it sells.

I think the VP9 has a very real chance of going toe-to-toe with the current big dogs and potentially snatching up a sizable market share over time if it continues to shine as brightly as it is currently. If you haven't checked it out, I suggest you do.

[video=youtube;CReqwUsjHLw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CReqwUsjHLw[/video]

Bradis Guns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    HK doesn't currently offer the pistol with night sights.

Apparently they do in a "law enforcement" model, which also comes with (3) 15-round magazines. SKU number is 700009LE-A5. Whether distributors can or will make this version available to dealers for non-LE sales is another matter.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thanks for the excellent review (as always). I really love the Walther PPQ and I'm very interested in this gun. I'm waiting on another INGO member to buy this so I can meet him at the range and shoot it :D

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    The only issue I have with mine is. I will need to increase my 9mm ammo budget!

As you might have noticed by his enthusiasm for it in the video, it's hard to put down!

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    Apparently they do in a "law enforcement" model, which also comes with (3) 15-round magazines. SKU number is 700009LE-A5. Whether distributors can or will make this version available to dealers for non-LE sales is another matter.

All the dealers on HKPro that were allowing members to preorder the vp9 offered the "LE" model to everyone.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'd consider one, but wish is had some type of thumb safety and still probably has that hideous warning label on the bottom of the trigger guard.

Be curious when they offer threaded barrels and how it would react as a suppressor host

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    Great review as always!! Looks line a fine shooter but what does it offer over a Glock or M&P? I have never shot or even handled an H&K product so I have no idea.

Better ergonomics. Metal sights. Better trigger. More accurate. No brass to the face.

Check one out and see!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I saw your video the other night. I'd like to give it a try. I think my PPQ trigger is too light & recoil is "snappy". I like the feel of a Glock 19 but the triggers suck IMO. All this makes me carry & shoot my Steyr M9-A1 more than anything else I've ever owned. Since adding the newly designed extractor to that gun (and my M40) it has ran perfect with every brand of ammo I've put in it.

Have you ever tried one? I know Hickok45 just did a video on the M9-A1.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart

I bought this exact model last Saturday.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I thought this quote was interesting, that is, for those that place stock in such things.

"I can tell you now the VP9 is the best shooting polymer framed handgun I have ever shot - bar none" - Larry Vickers.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    seems like a nice gun about time h&k realized most folks over here cant afford a 1500 dollar pistol right now. i think it looks pretty good and like the large trigger guard but will have to handle and fire before i decide.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I handled one. After my personal P30 light/medium LEM fail (can't shoot it / unwilling to send 2k at paper to become adequate) I can't wait to run one.

I will probably keep my USPC for carry. Tom, what did you pay for the LEO pack?

Top Bottom