• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Worth it's weight in gold or an overpriced Glock? Many fans of HKs would consider this heresy but I ask in all seriousness. What does the extra $500 get you? Having shot both, HKs look more sleek, feel nicer in the hand, and certainly make your heart flutter at first. However, I can't say they shoot any better or provide the accuracy of a Sig Sauer or other steel frames or 1911's in it's price range. To be fair, I haven't tried the Experts or the HK45's but generally I haven't been sold on the necessity to pay double. What makes HK's deserve the cash? Thanks.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I'd say worth its weight in gold. It's a travesty to compare a HK to a Glock. DA/SA to DA/SA, HK and Sig are comparable. However, Sig has nothing to compare to HK's LEM trigger. I've been a Sig fan and, many years ago, a Sig retailer, for a very long time. I love Sigs. However, I recently acquired a HK P30 with the LEM V1 trigger (light LEM.) It is soooo wonderful. Comparing this gun to any Glock is ridiculous.

Are HK's worth the extra money? The simple answer is YES.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    comparing to glocks is not ridiculous. Glock is a standard bar, generally referring to glock I also consider the M&P/FNH/Walther offerings. I hear affordable, fit for service, reliable, and accurate pistol.

In my limited experience with my HK expert that extra $500 bought a 50% reduction in group size, 4-6" off hand at 15 yards with my g35, down to 2-3" with my expert. I am not the greatest pistol shot.

along with the higher price you get limited holster options (plenty of choices though), higher accessory costs, and limited availability of support.

glocks are my carry guns, HK' is a toy for me. its very accurate, and shoots well, I plan to beat the finish off it in the spring shooting matches. but I carry my glocks. I had a P30L with v3 trigger and tossed it as I shot my G19 better/faster ymmv. HK's are reliable, the only reason I don't carry my expert is the size, fact that I don't have a holster, and the target sights.

and cost. I don't mind sweating on my glocks, scratching them, and letting them take the abuse of edc, I can't afford to replace an hk as readily as I can a glock.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I've owned many Glocks and only one H&K (a USP 45).

IMO the H&K does feel a little better built, however both my Glocks and H&K have been 100% reliable and contrary to popular belief I don't think H&Ks are any more mechanical accuracy than Glocks.

Both Glock and H&K are time tested and combat proven designs. IMO the Glock vs H&K argument is like any anything vs anything discussion, it's all a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    I've owned many Glocks and only on H&K (a USP 45).

IMO the H&K does feel a little better built, however both my Golcks and H&K have been 100% reliable and contrary to popular belief I don't think H&Ks are any more mechanical accuracy than Glocks.

Both Glock and H&K are time tested and combat proven designs. IMO the Glock vs H&K argument is like any anything vs anything discussion, it's all a matter of personal preference.
    Agreed.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I have three HKs, but I'm also into them a lot less than most people are.

P30L for about $725
    HK45 for about $600
    P2000SK with 40 and 357 barrel for about $625

I carry the P2000SK and love all of them.

The HK45 ate a double charged round last year...not a scratch. I doubt a Glock would have survived.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    comparing to glocks is not ridiculous. Glock is a standard bar, generally referring to glock I also consider the M&P/FNH/Walther offerings. I hear affordable, fit for service, reliable, and accurate pistol.

In my limited experience with my HK expert that extra $500 bought a 50% reduction in group size, 4-6" off hand at 15 yards with my g35, down to 2-3" with my expert. I am not the greatest pistol shot.

along with the higher price you get limited holster options (plenty of choices though), higher accessory costs, and limited availability of support.

glocks are my carry guns, HK' is a toy for me. its very accurate, and shoots well, I plan to beat the finish off it in the spring shooting matches. but I carry my glocks. I had a P30L with v3 trigger and tossed it as I shot my G19 better/faster ymmv. HK's are reliable, the only reason I don't carry my expert is the size, fact that I don't have a holster, and the target sights.

and cost. I don't mind sweating on my glocks, scratching them, and letting them take the abuse of edc, I can't afford to replace an hk as readily as I can a glock.
    Hence my hesitancy in having several. I concur Glocks are common currency and an HK is a range toy. Though a very nice toy to impress friends.

Glocks are my infantry, and I need to have complete confidence to use them in all cases and not worry I'm abusing them coming in and out of a rig. HK's push that envelope. I appreciate your opinions. It makes me more apt to buy. Question is which and when. Though in this climate, I'd rather stick with essentials. Thanks.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Worth it's weight in gold or an overpriced Glock? Many fans of HKs would consider this heresy but I ask in all seriousness. What does the extra $500 get you? Having shot both, HKs look more sleek, feel nicer in the hand, and certainly make your heart flutter at first. However, I can't say they shoot any better or provide the accuracy of a Sig Sauer or other steel frames or 1911's in it's price range. To be fair, I haven't tried the Experts or the HK45's but generally I haven't been sold on the necessity to pay double. What makes HK's deserve the cash? Thanks.

"Extra $500"??? Don't know where you are buying you Glocks or HKs, but Glocks around me are about $529 out the door and the HK P30S I just bought was about $250 more.

Volkswagen vs Porche. They'll both get you there....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    I have three HKs, but I'm also into them a lot less than most people are.

P30L for about $725
    HK45 for about $600
    P2000SK with 40 and 357 barrel for about $625

I carry the P2000SK and love all of them.

The HK45 ate a double charged round last year...not a scratch. I doubt a Glock would have survived.
    For those prices, I would invest. At least on one.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    my expert ran the extra $500, but its an oddball.

I really don't have a hard on for .45 but I want to shoot an hk45, I wasn't impressed with my P30L ( LOVED the grip), but i still have the hk45 on my radar. I find one for $600 I'll jump on it.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    protip on where to buy? hell gander mtn in west lafayette is th only place I know that stocks hk's, and those are used .40's with lem triggers for $699

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    "Extra $500"??? Don't know where you are buying you Glocks or HKs, but Glocks around me are about $529 out the door and the HK P30S I just bought was about $250 more.

Volkswagen vs Porche. They'll both get you there....
    It depends on where and whether it's used or new. Anywhere from $250-$500 more. But it tends to be $300 or more if the HK is new. Especially if you go to the gun shops around here or online. If the HK is used but in good or better condition, the difference is less.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    protip on where to buy? hell gander mtn in west lafayette is th only place I know that stocks hk's, and those are used .40's with lem triggers for $699

Well that was a good price on the Experts we both bought(and you really do need to check out the trigger on mine). I picked up a used USP 9mm LEM NS & JF for $525 shipped ( on snipers hide)

A advertised as used but was new HK45c on GB for $650

Just picked up my 3rd P30 today (it was on layaway) a NIB 9mm LEM for $800 (Blythe's)

Deals can be found many places. My method is have a want list in no certain order and buy what you find the deal on.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I need a P2000sk in 357Sig!!! If anyone has a lead on one, please let me know. Oh, yes I definitely think HKs are worth their weight in Gold. I just got done selling 3, but I did it to get rid of multiples :)

Lakeman62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Syracuse area
    I have both and love them for different reasons, this question holds true for most products, I've owned 10 different bikes, what was so great about Harley Davidson that made them worth the extra money they cost, yes they hold their value a bit more but a lot of other brands are more reliable, ride smoother, are more comfortable but they are not the designer lable bike. I currently ride a Honda Valkyrie. HK is known for making great products that are usually at the top of the field tests and very reliable. Both Sig and HK are great products and are welcome in my safe.

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I have carried Sigs and glocks for extended times while on duty. I have played with HK's. My opinion only:

SIG-----very accurate. Very reliable, though less so than the glock. Was much less impressed with the finish, had rust issues when the finish started to wear off.

Glock-----reasonable accuracy, very fast to get the first shot off. Consistant trigger pull. Lighter weight for easier day long carry. Mechanically more reliable and easier to fix. Finish much more durable than the sig.

HK-----accurate, reliable, felt good in the hand. Horrible trigger for the cost of the gun, just absolutely unacceptable. The LEM trigger is great though.

I think HK's are good guns, but I dont think they are so much better to justify the premium price compared to the other offerings, and I think Sigs are out of line too.

Top Bottom