• ...and so much more!
  • BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!

By Jordan Fabian - 11/16/09 06:34 PM ET
    Conservative Party candidate Doug Hoffman has "unconceded" in New York's special House election after reports that the vote margin between him and Rep. Bill Owens (D) has narrowed.
    Hoffman conceded the race on Election Night after learning he trailed Owens by 5,335 votes. But the Syracuse Post-Standard reported last week that the margin had shrunk to 3,026 votes after recanvassing.

lg.php

Hoffman appeared on conservative commenatator Glenn Beck's radio show this afternoon. Beck asked the him if he would "unconcede."
    "Yes, if I knew this information at the election night, I would not have conceded," Hoffman said. Beck asked him again if he was "unconceding" and Hoffman replied, "If that’s possible, yes."

Officials in the upstate New York district are still counting over 10,000 absentee ballots, which also had Republican nominee Dede Scozzafava's name on them. Scozzafava dropped out of the race three days before Election Day, citing poor fundraising and polling returns. She subsequently backed Owens.

Owens was sworn into Congress on Nov. 6, just before House Democrats voted on the healthcare reform. Should Hoffman come away with more votes, a highly unlikely possibility, Owens would have to be removed from office, according to the House clerk.

Hoffman would have to take over 65 percent of the absentee ballots in order to eclipse Owens. In the interview, Hoffman admitted his victory would be a "long shot."

I would love to shove this one down Pelosi's throat.

"From my perspective, we won last night," said Pelosi (D-Calif.), referring to the New York special election for the House seat previously held by Republican Rep. John McHugh. "We had one race were engaged in."

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    To whom do you refer?

Hoffman. I don't believe in giving up before the thing is done. I don't believe in conceding before the votes are counted unless there is mathematical certainty (1000 votes left to be counted, with a gap of 10 times that), no matter what statistics or probability says, and probably not even then. And to the extent that I believe in the democratic process (which isn't much, admittedly), it seems really stupid to me that a person would engage in it as a contestant and give up before the process is complete.

Now, coming back and wanting to un-concede makes me see him as another Ross Perot: "I'm in. No, I'm out. Wait, I want back in."

"Never give up, never surrender."
    -- Jason Nesmith, Galaxy Quest

"Never stop fighting till the fight is done."
    -- Eliot Ness, The Untouchables

"Make him advance through a wall of bullets. I may get killed with my own gun, but he's going to have to beat me to death with it, 'cuz it's going to be empty."
    -- Clint Smith

I'll take a loser over a quitter any day.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Hahahhaa. You quoted Galaxy Quest.

Do you really want someone who quit on election night to be your government representation? He quit, then decided he's back and then when he loses he'll probably ask for a recount.

Sounds a lot like little kids. I'm it!? I can't be!!! I'm out of bounds!!! I TAGGED YOU WHILE BEING OUT OF BOUNDS!

Top Bottom