• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sprmario123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    Muncie
    I am in charge of getting a bachelor party together and the groom wants to go hunt boars in Texas. There are so many different ranches that I have no idea which are good and which are crap. Does anyone have any experiences in Texas that they are willing to share or places that they would recommend we go? We will have 3-4 people.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    There probably aren't very many folks from Indiana who've had the opportunity to go hog hunting in Texas.
    I've never gone on this other forum, but I'd be willing to bet that they could answer your question if you post there - Hog Hunting

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I've hog hunted in Florida and killed a big 200+ lb boar, the hunt was only 175 bucks with no trophy fees, Florida has hogs everywhere and quite a few outfitters I have another hunt booked in September with the same guys, if I were you id look into Georgia, Alabama or maybe South Carolina they all have hogs and plenty of outfitters and a closer drive

sprmario123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    Muncie
    I've hog hunted in Florida and killed a big 200+ lb boar, the hunt was only 175 bucks with no trophy fees, Florida has hogs everywhere and quite a few outfitters I have another hunt booked in September with the same guys, if I were you id look into Georgia, Alabama or maybe South Carolina they all have hogs and plenty of outfitters and a closer drive
    I think they would be open to going to florida, do you have the name of the hog place you went?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I've hog hunted in Texas, but it was on private property owned by family.

It was much fun, and there are some advantages to hunting hogs down there. For instance, you can shine them. Plus, there's a gimmicky new thing that attaches above the scope that is a powerful LED light with a green filter (supposedly, the hogs can't see it).

I can't really recommend any particular place (unless you have wealthy relatives who can buy up huge ranches). Once you have it planned, post again and we can compare notes on what works and what doesn't. :)

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Last edited:

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    My guide took me to and from stands or blinds, you can hunt at night, on feeders, and with dogs. Most places in the south have hogs everywhere just, I'd just search online and see what best fits what you're looking for. Alabama, Florida, Texas,Georgia, Louisiana, Arkansas, South Carolina, and Oklahoma are all states I looked into and found numerous outfitters in each state

Savage99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Peru
    I've had a lot of fun hunting hogs in East Texas as well as around Junction in the hill country. Costs are about the same. When its hot (during the summer) the hogs mainly move at night. Fall and winter are the best times. You will end up hunting over a feeder or water hole. Take enough gun to put them down hard. It is no fun walking into the brush looking for a wounded pig. When you call different ranches ask for references.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I live in Texas, but not a hunter so unfortunately I don't have a recommendation as to where to go. (I killed a feral hog with a fire truck one night, but I don't think that qualifies.)

I do have a suggestion about where you might NOT want to go: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/great-outdoors/193996-going-texas-hog-hunting.html

For the short course, see this post: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...96-going-texas-hog-hunting-4.html#post2619087

That guy did end up getting his money back, but it was ugly for awhile.

Last edited:

met eng gun nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    wilderness hunting lodge in TN. is great spot something for every type of hunter also multiple cabins so you can request having a lodge to yourselves to party in. Hogs range from trophy boar trapped int eh wild to full on can hunts. 1,000 acre tracts in the mountains. also Nashville is close by.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I live in Texas, but not a hunter so unfortunately I don't have a recommendation as to where to go. (I killed a feral hog with a fire truck one night, but I don't think that qualifies.)

I do have a suggestion about where you might NOT want to go: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/great-outdoors/193996-going-texas-hog-hunting.html

For the short course, see this post: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...96-going-texas-hog-hunting-4.html#post2619087

That guy did end up getting his money back, but it was ugly for awhile.

Guy said something about getting a permit to hog hunt, never heard of such thing,thought they were open season 24/7?

I will be doing some back country cruizing next week in east Texas, wish me luck.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Guy said something about getting a permit to hog hunt, never heard of such thing,thought they were open season 24/7?

I will be doing some back country cruizing next week in east Texas, wish me luck.

AFAIK no license is needed to hunt feral (which is not the same as wild) animals. Game animals that are natural to the area, yes. I didn't look back through that thread, but on some organized hog hunts, you can also hunt game as well, which requires a license.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    Depending on how deep the pockets run, you can Heli Hog Hunt...check out YouTube. I think it would be fun but it's expensive. I settle for hunting on the family farm south of Shreveport LA once a year. Got me 9 squealers last trip. Take Savage99's advice...don't chase a wounded hog into the bush unless you like to live on the edge.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So now lets ask. What gun to use and caliber?

haha

Whenever I've asked the family down there about that, the first response is, "Whatduya got?" :)

They have a 30/30 lever they basically keep in the big ATV in case they see some. Then they have a .270 bolt (I think that's what it is) that is very nice, good scope (and the attachment to hunt at night, which makes it VERY top heavy). When I've been down there, we've used .223/5.56, 7.62x39, and .308/7.62x51 and I think one guy had a .300 mag.

It kinda depends on what range the shots will come from. I think 200 yds is the longest realistic shot we'd have at the property down there.

So, whatduya got? :)

Oh, and bring a pistol of decent caliber. Haven't actually needed one down there, yet, but had a close enough call when I didn't have one that made me promise myself to take one all the time when we're out hog huntin'.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    Oh, and bring a pistol of decent caliber. Haven't actually needed one down there, yet, but had a close enough call when I didn't have one that made me promise myself to take one all the time when we're out hog huntin'.

Good advice! I had a hog circle back to me when my AR bolt locked to the rear...hard to hit a hog wearing night vision!

Savage99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Peru

You need to buy an out of state 5 day hunting tag to hunt hogs. It covers exotics also. There may be an open season, but Texas still charges for it. The last one I bought was $40.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom