• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwillits

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2022
    Fishers, IN
    I’m going on a hog hunt in May and am wondering if hog is tasty… buddies in TX say it’s horrible and they just stack the bodies and don’t process. Others in the Carolina’s have told me it’s tasty. I’m curious if anyone in the group has had it, enjoyed it, and has suggests on preparation.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I enjoy it, my ex gf did not.
    If you cook it then put it in the fridge and warm it up the next day it's gamey as ****. However, if you warm it up on a skillet with a fair amount of Irish butter it's perfect fine.

The loin is super yummy when smoked.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Most of the time when you find “terrible & gamey“ descriptions I chalk that up to “bad cook and / or butcher”

But sometimes it is a taste issue. Most of that goes back to your “normal” diet and what part of the world you’re from. Example… most other countries use chicken breast meat for dog food lol

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    There is not much difference in the taste of domestic and feral hogs. Domestic hogs will normally have more fat while feral hogs are leaner, that is about it. It depends on the individual person and the individual hog but most uncut adult male pigs, whether feral or domestic, will taste bad to terrible to most people. The real difference between feral and domestic pork is that domestic male hogs are castrated at an young age to improve the taste of the meat. All of this is with the caveat that the meat needs to be cared for properly, ie. the hog dressed and cooled down as soon as possible after harvest.

Some say that a small amount of white vinegar added while cooking will remove the testosterone flavor, others say that a lot of spice works well. Personally, I cannot even stand the smell of boar meat being cooked. If you're curious what boar meat tastes like, it tastes pretty much like it smells.

If you're worried about the taste of the meat then only shoot sows or smaller pigs. If you do kill an adult boar, then keep the meat separate from other pork and give it a try. Some people don't mind the taste, you might be one of those or know someone that is. I'm not a fan of wasting the meat if you can find someone that likes it.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    I've had Sausage made from a Hog outta Tenn & it was Horrible.
    Don't know why anyone would even go to the trouble of Processing that stuff.
    I'm sure a Lot of it has to do with the Processing.
    Good Luck on your Hunt!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Every boar I've killed unless it was 80 pounds, was not fit to eat. A sow or young boar, good vittles. These were the corn fed good ones from southern Indiana.
    I'm kind of surprised an 80 lb. boar would still be good, I would have guessed it would be 50 or under. An 80 lb. corn fed boar is probably similar in age to 50 lb. boar with a more restricted diet though.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I’m going on a hog hunt in May and am wondering if hog is tasty… buddies in TX say it’s horrible and they just stack the bodies and don’t process. Others in the Carolina’s have told me it’s tasty. I’m curious if anyone in the group has had it, enjoyed it, and has suggests on preparation.

Depends a good deal on where the pigs are. Around Waxahachie, pigs taste like ****. South and East in pine country, different story.

Most anything Russian will taste like ****. Small non Russians (essentially feral pigs) are pretty good. Much leaner than domestic pigs...keep it in mind when prepping.

For edibles, I like OK better. Have not hunted TN or GA much, but expect it would be similar there.

Regardless, have fun....hunting trips are about making memories with friends and family.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I’ve done 4 hunts in Tennessee at 2 different places. All hogs were/are delicious. Breakfast sausage is tremendous. Ribs and loins were great. The only criticism would be that the chops were a little less tender than a store bought one. Mine were either Russians and Russian/domesticated. Maybe in Texas they are Havalinas or a different breed

Attachments

• 7352016D-A49C-4328-BAB6-4B2CF36863EF.jpeg
      7352016D-A49C-4328-BAB6-4B2CF36863EF.jpeg
      694.4 KB · Views: 28
    • 91E0EE16-5B7E-4211-B65A-ACFFFB6D5D12.jpeg
      91E0EE16-5B7E-4211-B65A-ACFFFB6D5D12.jpeg
      532.9 KB · Views: 25
    • 0B9FEDD0-0483-420B-8E07-D2AF306E1AD1.jpeg
      0B9FEDD0-0483-420B-8E07-D2AF306E1AD1.jpeg
      511.3 KB · Views: 26
    • 7014AD15-2A5D-40C5-8734-D5113E815BB0.jpeg
      7014AD15-2A5D-40C5-8734-D5113E815BB0.jpeg
      1.3 MB · Views: 28

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    4 hunts in TN. First time we were new and went for complete butcher package. Sausage was great, loins OK, roasts were not good at all (but the dogs did not choke, nor did they turn it down). I am sure what they eat matters (just like Indiana deer vs Wyoming deer) but I think the butcher and the prep matter too. Every trip after 1st we did ALL SAUSAGE and the butcher had a wonderful seasoning recipe. As I have done more hunting and more processing myself, I would now debone it, bring it home, and make my own sausage. Who dont love sausage.

Attachments

• DSCN2602.JPG
      DSCN2602.JPG
      857.9 KB · Views: 32
    • P1020521.JPG
      P1020521.JPG
      851.1 KB · Views: 32
    • P1020971.JPG
      P1020971.JPG
      369.1 KB · Views: 32

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    4 hunts in TN. First time we were new and went for complete butcher package. Sausage was great, loins OK, roasts were not good at all (but the dogs did not choke, nor did they turn it down). I am sure what they eat matters (just like Indiana deer vs Wyoming deer) but I think the butcher and the prep matter too. Every trip after 1st we did ALL SAUSAGE and the butcher had a wonderful seasoning recipe. As I have done more hunting and more processing myself, I would now debone it, bring it home, and make my own sausage. Who dont love sausage.

Congrats on the hunt. Did your son (assuming) use that bayonet on that pig?!

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Only ever done 1 hog hunt. It was in Tennessee. They had a butcher package and they got the meat to us so fast i swear they already had meat ready and our pigs would be processed to next hunter. It was good and tasty though.

Top Bottom