• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    So i want to have a hog roast. Was wondering if anyone here has made a spit them selves. Particularly about the rod and such. im having trouble finding what type of rod and sizing ect. And if you have done this have you gone with a motor or just hand cranked. Also if you are from the VALPO area any idea around here where to get a hog?. Thanxs ahead of time.

sdh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    4 Corners
    I cook a lot of hogs per year, and I use an old fuel oil barrel cut in half. I sandwich the hog between 2 expanded metal grates. I only flip the hog once about half way through cooking. I keep the temperature about 300 degrees for 10 to 12 hours. You can buy a little grill thermometer at Wal Mart that is mounted in the lid of the cooker. I hole sawed holes is the bottom sides for air flow, but these need dampers to close off air flow, or you will catch your hog on fire when the temperature rises.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Just find a random Filipino nurse up at the hospital. If she is from a rural area she can tell you everything you need to know about spit roasting whole hogs.

One of my wife's childhood duties was being one of the "hand cranckers". Trust me, if you don't have a gaggle of kids ready to put to work for many hours you want to do it with electricity.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    using a mechanical crank will save labor and hours of muscle pain. For the average eater the pig turns out nigh perfect. For the true pitmaster though, it is only about 80 percent of what it should be. Pig skin varies on the body, and the pig itself is balanced only semi-well on any spit. Knowing when to add a few extra minutes on this side and take away a few minutes on that side over the course of 12 hours is what makes the pig a 100 percent experience. Some cultures have perfected the art.

Lechon the national dish of the Philippines | travelfoodanddrink.com

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    perfection

PhilippineLechonOnTable.jpg

PhilippineLechon.jpg

Top Bottom