• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Why not convicts right in the prison? Why shouldn't they get to vote? They want illegal immigrants and other criminals all voting, I wonder why?

I don't really wonder. This is a rhetorical question.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    That would be a good change. Arbitrarily creating second class citizens is bad for society.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    It is quite devious that the people who have experienced the worst injustices shall never again have a voice in politics.

Case in point.

Innocent man fights to get son back after having life destroyed by New Jersey gun control laws

Georgia cops hand out felonies to high schoolers for having a pocket knives locked in cars

Massachusetts college student faces up to 10 years in prison for owning standard gun magazines

There are millions of people with felonies because of non-violent drug crimes. I'd imagine a lot of them would have an interest in derailing the oppressive Drug War. They've seen that the government is not all sunshine and unicorns and might want to shrink its power.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    While serving time, they don't get to vote. However, after they've served their sentence, including parole, their full citizenship rights should be restored. Repeat offenders, not so much.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    While serving time, they don't get to vote. However, after they've served their sentence, including parole, their full citizenship rights should be restored. Repeat offenders, not so much.

No, make a felon a rare event. Now it is more than an year in prison. It should be a minimum of five years to life. Anything under five years should be a misdemeanor.

And there needs to be a path back to full citizenship, a path to redemption that would include going through the naturalization process.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No, make a felon a rare event. Now it is more than an year in prison. It should be a minimum of five years to life. Anything under five years should be a misdemeanor.

And there needs to be a path back to full citizenship, a path to redemption that would include going through the naturalization process.

I don't disagree that a felony should be a pretty big deal. But after prison and/or parole, it's done. If their crime was so bad that they still can't resume their full rights of citizenship, then why were they let out of jail? And naturalization process? WTF? Felons don't and shouldn't lose their citizenship when they're convicted of a felony. I can see suspending certain rights while under sentence, obviously. But you're going off into the weeds with losing citizenship and being naturalized.

Top Bottom