• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Guardsman89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Kokomo
    I was riding with my 7 year old son the other day. He told me he was learning a lot of Christmas songs for the big elementary school Christmas program (he had a speaking part and everything :)). So, I decided to get my ipod going with Christmas music so he could sing along. Here is how the conversation went:

Me: What do you want me to play? How about Silent Night?
    Son: No. We're not singing that one
    Me: How about Joy to the World?
    Son: Nope
    Me: How about Away in the Manger?
    Son: Nope.
    Me: Ok, how about Oh Come All Ye Faithful?
    Son: Nope, not that one either.
    Me: Well, what songs are you singing?
    Son: We're singing Winter Wonderland and White Christmas and Up on the Housetop and Rockin Around the Christmas Tree.
    Me: Aren't you singing any songs about Jesus?
    Son: No, I don't think so.

So, I went to the program last night. He sang all his songs with a big smile on his face. And so did my 9 year old daughter. Hers were songs from the the Nutcracker. Songs like Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies, Russian Dance, Arab Dance, and Chinese Dance.

There are so many issues with all of this that it would take an hour to post.
    There is the brainwashing young music teachers receive from liberal professors at our colleges and universities? There is the emasculating of young boys who were made to dance around waving pretty ribbons? There is the misinterpretation of the Framers intent to preserve religious liberty rather than remove faith from civic life, which leads to the biggest issue of all: no songs about Jesus.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I was riding with my 7 year old son the other day. He told me he was learning a lot of Christmas songs for the big elementary school Christmas program (he had a speaking part and everything :)). So, I decided to get my ipod going with Christmas music so he could sing along. Here is how the conversation went:

Son: We're singing Winter Wonderland and White Christmas and Up on the Housetop and Rockin Around the Christmas Tree.

So, I went to the program last night. He sang all his songs with a big smile on his face. And so did my 9 year old daughter. Hers were songs from the the Nutcracker. Songs like Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies, Russian Dance, Arab Dance, and Chinese Dance.

There is the brainwashing young music teachers receive from liberal professors at our colleges and universities? There is the emasculating of young boys who were made to dance around waving pretty ribbons? There is the misinterpretation of the Framers intent to preserve religious liberty rather than remove faith from civic life, which leads to the biggest issue of all: no songs about Jesus.

Well said Sir.

Progressivism is a road to Hell.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

I wouldn't complain about my kids singing about Jesus but I would rather they didn't. There are more than Christians that attend public schools. Send your kids to private, religious schools if you want them to sing about Jesus.

USMCsergeant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Vincennes
    Unfortunately there are two sides to every coin. I think people go a little overboard on this subject in my opinion, for what it's worth. Singing a song does not make someone religious. Someone should not have to send their children to a private school to cater to those that don't have a religious background. Nor should they cater to those that are religious. Maintaining neutrality by incorporating both would be sufficient in my eyes. Not having to participate and being forced to partipate are one in the same. It doesn't hurt a child to sing a Christmas song about Jesus anymore than it hurts one to sing about Frosty the Snowman or Santa Clause. Just something else for people to complain about in my opinion. You can't please everyone because there will always be someone that isn't happy. :)

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne

You're forgetting the whole "let's create a socialized education system & lean on it heavily as we abdicate our responsibilities to our children"...

IMO, you're expecting too much out of Education Welfare... :twocents:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    1: IBTL. Religious thread, y'all.

2: If you are dissatisfied with the way the public school system teaches your children, then teach them yourself or find another/others who can do so in a manner that receives your approval. This is not a new attitude on the part of the public "education" system and they will not change it for your sake any more than they will for mine.

I would personally suggest not letting students off for any holiday that has a religious connotation in order to ensure that there is no acknowledgement of religion at all (including paganism, from which "Christmas" and "Easter" originated) but I suppose that would put a bit of a damper on the children's moods. I have little patience for halfway measures as they stink of hypocrisy or pandering.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    So much I want to say on this thread, so much I can't because it's "against the rules". Besides, it will probably be closed soon anyway :|

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    December 25 is CHRISTmas? If they want to sing holiday songs so be it. The issue I believe is being sighted is, call it what it is. If it is a CHRISTmas program so be it. There is a big difference between CHRISTmas and-X-mas. The difference does matter.

IBTL

As they say, That is all

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I'd be pissed if someone made my kids sing xmas songs about jesus.

thLil-Wayne-Cover-Mouth-psd31402.png

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Just Curious ....Does anyone don't want their kids singing a song about Jesus , or think it's wrong for schools to Have theese type of programs .

Celebrate christmas ?

Not judging . not even going to reply to anyones replies .

Just Curious ?:dunno:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Freedom OF religion =/= freedom FROM religion

Oh how ironic it is when people are upset that Christmas songs *gasp* refer to Jesus the Christ.

Of the "holiday songs"...I wonder... Which holiday/s, exactly, are they referring to?

And as a small note: Writing X-mas and/or X-tian are perfectly acceptable abbreviations. For over 2000 years, the Greek letter "X" has been a perfectly acceptable abbreviation for "Christ".

-J-

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Freedom OF religion =/= freedom FROM religion

Oh how ironic it is when people are upset that Christmas songs *gasp* refer to Jesus the Christ.

Of the "holiday songs"...I wonder... Which holiday/s, exactly, are they referring to?

And as a small note: Writing X-mas and/or X-tian are perfectly acceptable abbreviations. For over 2000 years, the Greek letter "X" has been a perfectly acceptable abbreviation for "Christ".

-J-

Indeed. They feel "He Who Shall Not Be Named" on INGO is "fiction", BUT don't have a problem with their kids singing about Frosty, Santa, etc.. :n00b:

Guardsman89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Kokomo
    I wouldn't complain about my kids singing about Jesus but I would rather they didn't. There are more than Christians that attend public schools. Send your kids to private, religious schools if you want them to sing about Jesus.

I respect that point of view. I just expect that celebration of a holiday based on the birth and life of a guy might include mention of the guy that's all. Do I have to take my kids to private school for that? You shouldn't be forced to sing about Jesus but you shouldn't be prohibited from doing so either (even at a public school).

To add more fuel to the fire...not only is Jesus excluded from the conversation, but in the case of my kids' school program, songs about Jesus were replaced with songs by a guy who wrote the following:

I am so set in my habits and tastes that it is not possible to cast them aside all at once like an old glove. And besides, I am far from possessing a will of iron, and since my last letters to you I have already surrendered some three times to the force of my natural tendencies. Would you imagine ! One of these days I even went to Bulatov’s country estate, and his house is nothing but a pederastic bordello. As if it were not enough that I had been there, I fell in love as a cat with his coachman !!! So you are perfectly right when you say in your letter that it is not possible to restrain oneself, despites all vows, from one’s weaknesses. --Tchaikovsky

This seems quite like a philosophical system to me if not a religious one. So my daughter sang songs about self-indulgence and other matters of moral incertitude instead of singing about Jesus (or even Santa for that matter!). I don't like it!

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Here's a little hint:

We all read the OP. So there is NO NEED TO FULLY QUOTE IT in your reply. Give it a bit of a <snip> in the middle, and save us all some frustration and time. Thanks. JIMHO, no flamers need reply. EBG

Guardsman89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Kokomo
    So much I want to say on this thread, so much I can't because it's "against the rules". Besides, it will probably be closed soon anyway :|

Oops! Didn't know I wasn't supposed to be using the word "Jesus" and discussing religion on INGO. I'm a noob here. :n00b: I see it as a political issue more than a religious one. Suppose I should read the rules better. I do appreciate the replies...on both sides of the debate!

Merry Christmas all!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You know for being a peace loving, turn the other cheek kind of guy, my savior JC sure does generate alot of hate on this forum. I imagine all of the PC crowd here work that day. No sense taking off and getting paid for the birthday of a laid off carpenter. Right? I noticed the date they use at my daughters school is 2011. Now I wonder..... 2011 years from what event? Hmmmm. What happened 2011 years ago that we use as a reference point for our calender? I hope it wasn't that pesky carpenter again.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom