• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DIRTY HARRY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I wanted to know if anyone knew of the effectiveness (or not) of filling the tip of a Speer Gold Dot personel defense( or similar) round with candle wax, and would it help or hinder it's stopping power?
    Other rounds such as Hornady Critical Defense and Corbon Power Ball have polymer tips that are supposed to not clog up with fabric on impact.

Any experience's would be greatly appreciated.

DH

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    It has been my experience that Gold Dots are one of the best performing personal defense loads available. Why would you want to alter them? I can think of myriad reasons why to not screw with personal defense ammo, but I am interested in what advantages you think you may gain?

5.56'aholic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    <- tragic boating accident
    I wanted to know if anyone knew of the effectiveness (or not) of filling the tip of a Speer Gold Dot personel defense( or similar) round with candle wax, and would it help or hinder it's stopping power?
    Other rounds such as Hornady Critical Defense and Corbon Power Ball have polymer tips that are supposed to not clog up with fabric on impact.

Any experience's would be greatly appreciated.

DH

polymer and candle wax are two very different things. i foresee the wax melting in chamber and causing a potential catastrophic failure.

DIRTY HARRY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Great!
    All I was looking for was some thoughts on the issue.

Many people say that a Jacketd Hollow Point will fail to expand upon hitting any type of clothing or fabric.

Also, firing such adapted ammo from a revolver should not hinder it's report, so I am told.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Pure and simple, wax or similar substance applied to a bullet cavity THAT IS NOT DESIGNED FOR IT will make the round potentially fail. These ammo manufacturers spend millions on R&D to design bullets. A backwoods way of messing with them isn't going to make them better, only worse. Adding things to bullets can also add to the element of disaster and potentially damage your gun. Retards that add primers to HP bullets or try to fill em with mercury with either hurt themselves or depict gun owners as bloodthirsty folks with no morals or remorse.

That being said,

My Corbon replica loads use the same bullets as Corbon (Sierra Powerjackets) at similar velocities. Corbon has a nasty tendency to fragment violently, so I took an old trick from the .32 ACP crowd and added a drop (ONE DROP) of super glue in the cavity. From my tests, the glued ones expanded less aggressively and while penetrated deeper, they expanded more uniformly and without fragmentation. I do not, however, do that anymore.

HOWEVER!
    One, modification of defensive ammo isn't an intelligent thing to do because it could make it unreliable. What would you rather have to drive a family member to the hospital? A stock, factory car that is well maintained and defect free? Or Jimmie-Hill-Jack's speedmobile that has everything jury-rigged? Second, while there is little evidence that bullets/calibers/handloaded ammo is an element in a shooting case, it always stands to reason that it COULD be potentially used against you. You never know. Its a reason of, prepare for every potential thing that could go wrong, as it could go wrong. Simplistic, but powerful ideology.

That being said: Get modern ammunition that has been designed for defensive purposes. You dont have years or even decades of ballistics knowledge or projectile engineering as the companies that make ammo do. Stick to what they know, not what you can try to get yourself hurt with.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Filling it with wax would be the same as clogging it with material. It will stop the expansion of the design.

Modern ammo is a far cry from what we played with in the 60's and 70's. Even if some of the myths from then are still around.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Great!
    All I was looking for was some thoughts on the issue.

Many people say that a Jacketd Hollow Point will fail to expand upon hitting any type of clothing or fabric.

Also, firing such adapted ammo from a revolver should not hinder it's report, so I am told.

This is a mis conseption I took a balistics class a couple of years ago it was put on by Win they shot thur heavy cloths leather t shirts wool coats winshields ply wood cement board and so on and so forth about ten hours worth they do expand and quite well, all the above matrials where back by balistic gell, I think you can see the same results if you go to Win Fed or about any ammo manufacter's sight and look at thire balistics, Hope this helps.

Top Bottom