• ...and so much more!
  • prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    SAR is coming up and I want new sights.

I want to put a holographic sight on my 8" python and I am looking for someone who has done it or knows how. Also a S&W model 19.

I also want to put a holographic on my Ruger mk II that currently has a Ruger mount with detachable rings and a red dot sight.

Do these all require a drill and tap routine to mount the base? Which rail gives the most options?

What kind of base?

Lost

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    Went to SAR and got a very small Osprey Microdot for $199 that looks like it was made for a handgun. I went in to buy a Eotech and it looked like a bloated fat pig on a pistol. I also got a Trijicon rmr 08g (no batteries required) $525. They wanted $100 for the small metal plate Trijicon adapter and so I started to walk away and it suddenly became included. The Osprey has a single tightening screw and therefore fits all kinds of mounts and rails. I went online and ordered several mounts for Python, SW model 41, and SW Kframes. mountsplus.com
    Discovered how non standard all the mounts, attachments, and spacings are. I'm trying to get the optics to fit lots of my guns and that is not readily done.
    Even my Colt Cadet and the Ruger Mark II are both factory mounts that fit very little outside factory optics. That was a surprise. I carried both into the show and tried with 6 vendors before taking a new direction.
    The Trijicon uses collected stored light during the day or its iridium for night. No batteries. A cool green triangle for reticle.

Is there nobody out there with bad eyes trying to use these new holographic sights on their pistols? I shot the Osprey yesterday and it was joyful to see the reticle and target both in focus. I knew I could still shoot, I just couldn't see the target.

Lost

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    RDS on pistols is starting to catch on in the defensive realm, but mostly semi-autos. The RMR is the current standard, with others coming along.

Got any pics of your wheelgun setup?

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have a Bushnell Holosight on a Browning Buckmark. I really like it due to my aging eyes. I took it off to put the Holosight on a carbine, and replaced it with a Bushnell TRS-25. It did not take me long to put the Holosight back on the Buckmark. It is much easier to see the sight, and it doesn't get lost when you try to acquire it. It is true that it is a little large for that pistol, but it really doesn't look bad at all. The pistol with the Holosight is really a hoot to shoot, and it is almost too easy to hit accurately with it. It seems a little strange to have that large a sight on a Buckmark, but it really didn't look all that much different with the much smaller TRS-25.

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    hey turn and shoot,

what kind of mount is on the buckmark (custom picatinny or equal spaced slots for tightening screws?) and what is on the Bushnell holo sight (weaver? with one tightening screw?)?
    Lost

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I am partial to the Burris FastFire I, II, III.

First gun I put it on was a Walther P22. JB welded a rail on the slide, mounted the sight to the rail...

After that I did my Ruger MK II, used the Burris base built for the Ruger...

Then I put one on my SIG P226. AllenM, member here, was willing to mill my slide but I wimped out and got the Burris base for this one too...

Last one I did was my S&W 2206. It was harder to do than the others. Finally found the right rail to have mounted on the slide, which needed drilled and tapped. It used to work just fine with standard velocity .22 ammo, but now it needs high velocity stuff to cycle properly...

I know none of these are revolvers, but I really like the FastFire sight.

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    Lost Californian,
    That was a beautiful post. Great pics showing the mounts and the Burris Fastfire. Your setup on those semi-autos looks excellent. The suppressors look right at home on those pieces.
    I saw the Burris sight for $220 and the mount for $44. These mounts are the biggest gouge I have seen. They are small pieces of metal. Must cost a couple of bucks to make. Oh well, I don't know how to do it without them.
    Now to my original quandary. Is the Burris mount for burris scopes only? It doesn't look like weaver or picatinny.
    I keep wanting to use multiple scopes on multiple guns and the ability to interchange seems impossible without a standard weaver or picatinny. It seems there are lots of different spacing for screws to attach the mounts and lots of different spacing on slots for tightening screws. Does anybody know if I am correct on this or how wrong I am??????
    I ordered Weigand mounts for my Ruger Mark ii and the holes in the mount don'
    fit the ruger holes when I remove the back sight. How can that be?
    I also ordered Weigand mounts for my Python and it doesn't fit either. Do I need to adapt the adapters to work.
    I have been down the shim route and did not like it. Had to rezero every time it was removed and replaced.
    This task is much more difficult than I assumed. The lack of standards is maddening.
    Lost

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I put a Fastfire III on my GP100 using the Weigand rail, I love it. The fastfire includes a picatiny mount base in the package which is part of the reason it's a stellar deal/optic imo.

6Q1HKUF.png

ktGZdva.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    As far as I know, every brand of micro red dot base is different. I stole this photo from here on the web.

The 4 little bumps in the corners are the important bits. Each manufacturer does theirs slightly differently. The weaver base will fit any rail, the other bases are made for specific guns. On the Walther, I used a Glock base, since there was not one for the P22. My 2206 is too narrow to have the base mounted directly to the slide, so I had to go with the rail and weaver base. That's what made it too heavy to cycle with standard velocity ammo. On a revolver, that won't be an issue. Ryan3030 posted a beautiful photo.

Top Bottom