• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Looking for some solid holster advice for my new Taurus PT1911 AR. I have learned the hard way with other firearms and bought several holsters that just didn't work. So I'm asking what holsters you like for the following:

1. Open carry belt/paddle holster
    2. IWB holster
    3. Shoulder rigs

Thanks!
    :draw:

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    IWB I have used a Galco Royal Gaurd. Can carry all day, in and out of car. Love this holster, still works good after 12-14 years. High noon makes some nice holsters too, if I had to buy another 1911 holster I would be torn between the two.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I carry a compact 1911 in a Kramer Scabbard in horsehide. The holster is the best I own and I've got a whole drawer full of bad holster decisions. There are Galcos, Don Humes, Bianchi's and a plethora of nylon holsters. Some of them are pretty good, but the Kramer scabbard is fantastic. I originally got one for my Kimber Ultra and liked it so much that when I bought the Compact, I ordered one for that as well.
    picture.php

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Ken Null Super Speed Scabbard.

Call. Talk to him. He'll tell you his holster philosophy.

He crafts the holsters I would make if I had the skill.

I own a SSS and it is, by far, the best 1911 holster on the market, in my not-so-humble opinion.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    For OWB I like Raven (kydex) or Galco (leather)
    For IWB I like Raven (all kydex) and have heard good things about Crossbreed (half leather and half kydex)
    I really do not like shoulder holsters because they either make you flag everyone behind you and then are grip heavy, or they put the gun straight up an down which is awkward to draw for me.
    GL finding something you like.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    First, I check the pistol manufacturer's website. many times they have fitted holsters made specifically for their particular handgun and are usually made by quality craftsmen (Kimber and their Mitch Rossen holsters are a good example, see avatar). If they offer one I usually look for the best leather holster they offer for that handgun.

If that option isn't available, then just stick with a good holster manufacturer like the ones listed so far. My advice is to find and choose a higher end, quality holster fitted for your gun and not some generic "fit-all" like the ones you see flooding ebay.

I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for especially when it comes to an item you want to last for many years and perform the way you expect it to.

Top Bottom