• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    I finally bought me a 1911, a 5 inch Magnum Research. Now I need a nice holster to carry it. I wanted a shoulder rig but nice ones cost a third of the price i gave for the gun. I want something to protect my pistol from getting beat up while riding my side by side or banging on the door of my truck while getting in and out. I had to take the custom grips off my 44 revolver because they were starting to get some bumps and scratches but I don't want to change them on my 1911. Being a big guy doesn't help matters either.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    Bianchi universal military holster with flap provides protection but a small part of the gun grip will still be exposed.

A tanker or chest holster style will keep the gun from getting hit. I have a galco kodiak with bandolier for S&W500 but it wasn't cheap.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I like Kramer Horsehide holsters. But. They are expensive and take a while to get. There are lots of options for a 1911 though that are reasonably priced and easy to get.

Don't be afraid of letting your pistol accumulate the patina of EDC. There's a big difference between an abused pistol and the patina of a carried pistol. Carry that gun for a decade or two and every bit of the patina will be your favorite part of the gun. 1911s have the ability to build a beautiful patina that plastic guns could only dream of.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    I like Kramer Horsehide holsters. But. They are expensive and take a while to get.

This!!! I second Kramer and third, fourth, fifth and so on. Order one from Kramer and get a cheap other holster. When the Kramer arrives, you will realize why so many people like them. You'll never wear the other holster again.

I looked at Kramer's website for years and talked myself out of one mostly due to wait time. Then in Feb I broken down and ordered an IWB for my SW 586 L Comp. After a few days break in, its perfect. Kicking myself for not ordering one for other pistols years ago. I have another one order for a 1911. Should show up near my BDay this winter.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I finally bought me a 1911, a 5 inch Magnum Research. Now I need a nice holster to carry it. I wanted a shoulder rig but nice ones cost a third of the price i gave for the gun. I want something to protect my pistol from getting beat up while riding my side by side or banging on the door of my truck while getting in and out. I had to take the custom grips off my 44 revolver because they were starting to get some bumps and scratches but I don't want to change them on my 1911. Being a big guy doesn't help matters either.
    Are you wanting something like this?
    1661468843864.png

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This!!! I second Kramer and third, fourth, fifth and so on. Order one from Kramer and get a cheap other holster. When the Kramer arrives, you will realize why so many people like them. You'll never wear the other holster again.

I looked at Kramer's website for years and talked myself out of one mostly due to wait time. Then in Feb I broken down and ordered an IWB for my SW 586 L Comp. After a few days break in, its perfect. Kicking myself for not ordering one for other pistols years ago. I have another one order for a 1911. Should show up near my BDay this winter.
    I think that I'm up to 11 Kramer holsters now. To me, it's the litmus test for whether a gun is a keeper or not. If I have the gun for a couple of years, I'll order a Kramer holster just to tell myself that it's now a keeper.

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    Are you wanting something like this?
    View attachment 220040
    I did at first but I've decided that a shoulder rig would better serve my purpose. I spend a lot of time in my side by side and there's not much room for a belt holster and my big rear end. I spend a lot of time clearing my hiking and riding trails and I think a shoulder holster would do a better job of keeping my gun out of harms way.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    You can’t go wrong with Kramer leather. I also like don Hume but it seems hard to find. Not sure I’d they are even around anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don Hume is still around. But like many with the Amazon popularity not many stores carry an inventory

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    The old m3 and m7 tanker holsters are awesome trail holsters. There's also drop leg versions of the old military flap holsters that dadsmith posted in fact I'll be starting one in the near future.

I use a m3 tanker holster all the time it's one of my backwoods trips holsters. I think I paid 35 for it. Before I had kids I kept my Glock 17 shoved in one hanging from a peg by my bed so that no matter what I wore I had a holster on my body.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Here's my $35 m3 tanker. I made a small modification by putting a Sam brown stud on the backside to secure the retention strap if I wanted to open up the holster for a faster draw.

Attachments

• IMG_20220919_212356378.jpg
      IMG_20220919_212356378.jpg
      265.6 KB · Views: 2
    • IMG_20220919_212412410.jpg
      IMG_20220919_212412410.jpg
      252.7 KB · Views: 2
    • IMG_20220919_212418218.jpg
      IMG_20220919_212418218.jpg
      290.3 KB · Views: 2

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

I just ordered one of these but the leadtime is a bit Long.
    But they did refer me to a retailer that is expecting an inventory to come in any day now.

It’s especially tough for me being a lefty.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    My avatar work horses all. Gun, Galco leather, knife, belt made by leather smith, hat by Stetson. Patina out the wazoo. No show ponies here, everyday hard work. Nothing under 20 years old. Galco gets my vote.

edit: I only say that because you said you’d be in your sxs a lot and clearing trails, it’s gonna be a challenge to keep your new gun in pristine condition under those circumstances. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom