• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pops66goat

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Greenfield IN.
    A friend and I were debating this a little. I know it depends on the size and type of weapon you are carrying...If your right handed, do you carry your weapon on the right side or left side of your body, or left handed vice versa? We were debating the fact if its is more effective or faster to draw if you carry on the right or left, more comfortable etc... I just wondered which side you prefer to carry lefty or righty and anyone have any professional info or if its just a personal preference.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I am right handed, why would I carry on the left side? are you talking about cross draw? Or actually drawing with my left hand then transferring the gun to my strong hand and re gripping to shoot?

Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to be smart, asking legitimate questions.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Strong side belt carry is by far the most popular, and for good reason.

Weak side carry has its place, though. Crossdraw shines when you are seated, for example.

pops66goat

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Greenfield IN.
    Yeah cross draw guess is what you would call it...
    I had a compact .45 for a while and was very comfortable on my strong side, but recently traded it off for some ammo. I carry my full size 1911 now sometimes gets hung up when seated. I tried the weak side and doesn't hang up but just doesn't feel right...Wondered others opinions.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Yeah cross draw guess is what you would call it...
    I had a compact .45 for a while and was very comfortable on my strong side, but recently traded it off for some ammo. I carry my full size 1911 now sometimes gets hung up when seated. I tried the weak side and doesn't hang up but just doesn't feel right...Wondered others opinions.

Try IWB or a holster with a greater cant.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    A friend and I were debating this a little. I know it depends on the size and type of weapon you are carrying...If your right handed, do you carry your weapon on the right side or left side of your body, or left handed vice versa? We were debating the fact if its is more effective or faster to draw if you carry on the right or left, more comfortable etc... I just wondered which side you prefer to carry lefty or righty and anyone have any professional info or if its just a personal preference.

Both left and right and neither at the same time.

I carry appendix.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

I am left handed. I carry all mine at the 8-9 o'clock position.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Cross draw in a vehicle makes sense....out walking around? Well, it's never been my preference to have a carry that presents the weapon to a guy standing in front of me with a firing grip.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Cross draw in a vehicle makes sense....out walking around? Well, it's never been my preference to have a carry that presents the weapon to a guy standing in front of me with a firing grip.

My favorite holster when I am going to be in and out of the car is a high ride paddle. It makes it easy to shift from right side carry to cross draw carry. The now manadatory shoulder/seat belt makes right hand draw pretty tough in a car.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi

For a RH shooter, a left-side carry is a cross-draw. Some people do this but it's not all that popular. The biggest issue is that it takes LONGER to get the gun out and aimed at the threat when the #1 thing working against you is the amount of time you have to respond to a lethal threat. So generally it's not a good way to carry.

Also, think about the movement of the gun as you draw it from across your body. For a time that muzzle is likely to be pointed at YOUR vitals. In a stressful situation people have been known to pull the trigger prematurely. So you end up shooting yourself instead of the bad guy. When a RH draw if this happens you are more likely pointing at the ground or a less vital part like your foot. Bad, but not AS bad!

For a LH shooter, then it's a good idea.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    For most situation, whichever hand is dominant is the side you should holster on to start off with. If you have a big belly, your arm might not never stretch to the other side fast enough to get the gun and pull it out. Now shoulder carry is for certain situation as well but remember when drawing your gun from anywhere, if you don't practice and see where you screw up, it'll be your ass.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My favorite holster when I am going to be in and out of the car is a high ride paddle. It makes it easy to shift from right side carry to cross draw carry. The now manadatory shoulder/seat belt makes right hand draw pretty tough in a car.

Another advantage we lefties have. :)

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Whatever you decide to do, practice your draw unloaded to get comfortable. All these people say it's difficult to draw seated and right handed. I'm right handed and I agree, however, I adjust my holster once I get in the car and have figured a good position to draw while seated. It is a difficult position to draw from, I have to lean forward to draw, but as long as I can draw, that's what's important. Like I said, carry where comfortable and practice your draw.

Top Bottom