• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Momof6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Wayne County, IN
    I ordered a Fobus holster off Amazon for my Ruger SR40. I didn't realize until a couple days later that shipping estimate was 4 weeks out and it was coming from Israel. I have a class on May 4, so I was worried it wouldn't get here in time. Well, it arrived today (:rockwoot:) but when I holstered the gun, it's extremely tight, and I have to take the holster off My belt and pull HARD to unholster the gun. Looked at the package sand it says it's for the H&K USP compact :( . I could just about cry. Between this and my licence hopefully getting here any day I've been so excited, and this is such a disappointment.

Is there any way to make this holster work? There's absolutely no way to have this guy ship another one and have it before my class, and I can't afford to buy another one right this moment.

SHCdvldg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Waukesha
    You got the correct model from Fobus, my brother had the same holster from them for his SR9... It was tight, very tight. I'm not a fan of their gear because of their lack of customization options and seemingly low quality. I would look into any reputable custom kydex holster maker. Raven Concealment, PHLster, Off The Grid Concepts, and there are many more out there. I know there's a guy on here who does custom holsters very quickly. Hooch Holster is the name, I don't have any experience with his gear but some people on here speak very highly of his rigs. I hope you find some useful info to my reply!

SHCdvldg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Waukesha
    I might add, to make the holster work make sure you're using a high quality thick 'gun' belt. Using a cheap one ply leather belt that is too flimsy will give you zero support and make the draw even more difficult. When a high retention holster has a sturdy belt to resist against it, the draw may seem easier when you establish a good firing grip and rip that thing out of the holster.

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    The only way I know to make it work will not allow you to return it for a refund, and it runs the risk of loosing too much retention.

Find where it is constricting the gun and file it down with a hand file, slowly removing material until it reaches the desired level of retention. If you want to return it, don't do this!

Other than that, maybe someone can lend you a holster for the class, or you can borrow some dough from a friend or family member until you get your money back from this guy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    As was mentioned, you got the "correct" holster according to Fobus.

One solution to make that holster work is to drill-out the rivets that hold it together. Then you replace it with Chicago screws (I think that's what they're called) that most other holster makers use, which allow adjusting for tension. You can use 5/32 inch vacuum hose for the spaces on the screws.

Good luck!

I ordered a Fobus holster off Amazon for my Ruger SR40. I didn't realize until a couple days later that shipping estimate was 4 weeks out and it was coming from Israel. I have a class on May 4, so I was worried it wouldn't get here in time. Well, it arrived today (:rockwoot:) but when I holstered the gun, it's extremely tight, and I have to take the holster off My belt and pull HARD to unholster the gun. Looked at the package sand it says it's for the H&K USP compact :( . I could just about cry. Between this and my licence hopefully getting here any day I've been so excited, and this is such a disappointment.

Is there any way to make this holster work? There's absolutely no way to have this guy ship another one and have it before my class, and I can't afford to buy another one right this moment.

Momof6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Wayne County, IN
    Well, I'm extremely disappointed that this is the 'correct' holster. It's not just 'tight', I literally cannot even unholster the gun while it's on my belt, I have to take it off My belt, hold the holster and gun between my knees, and pull with just about everything I have. Obviously won't work. The holster I got for the SD9 was nothing like this. It fit perfectly.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to discuss with my husband what course he wants me to take on this. :(

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, I'm extremely disappointed that this is the 'correct' holster. It's not just 'tight', I literally cannot even unholster the gun while it's on my belt, I have to take it off My belt, hold the holster and gun between my knees, and pull with just about everything I have. Obviously won't work. The holster I got for the SD9 was nothing like this. It fit perfectly.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to discuss with my husband what course he wants me to take on this. :(

Another option is to get a new holster. Not that many companies make them for the Ruger SR9/SR40. Comp-Tac will make you one in a about a week. Zero Concealment can make one for you too.

Another option is to get a Safariland "Custom Fit Holster" that fit more than one pistol. The model number is 567 and they probably have a version that will fit the Ruger SR9/SR40 that will work well.

Momof6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Wayne County, IN
    Thanks guys! I just ordered a new holster. They have said they can get it to me by my class date, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll let you guys know what I think of it.
    \

Momof6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Wayne County, IN
    Foxx Holsters is where I ordered from. They were a price I could afford (hopefully I will get a refund on the other) and they said they could get it to me within a week. I found good reviews on them.

xdmdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    southport
    Good luck with new holster. I've learned a great holster is as important as a great gun because without it you won't be carrying. Btw fobus was my first holster for a sigma. Fobus=junk in my opinion. Which is worth nothing either.

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    If I was in the kydex market I would order from Hooch also. I know him and his product both are good.

But IMHO nothing beats a good Leather paddle or belt slide holster, they just cost too much..

Momof6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Wayne County, IN
    I seriously almost ordered from hooch, but I'm not a huge fan of all kydex holsters, I've always been drawn to the hybrids or all leather.

So, as a review I got my Foxx holster today, wore it with my ruger all day around the house, empty out to grab a pizza (my licence hasn't arrived yet) and to my friends to practice drawing and shooting. I have to say that it's very comfortable. I don't know really what else to say about a holster, but I certainly can't find anything to complain about. Well, I guess that's not entirely true. While not a complaint I will say that the kydex portion of the holster is wide enough that it pulls it away from my hip a bit, so I'm going to try and heat it up just a tad to change the angle of the kydex where it rivets to the leather. It's hard to explain without pics but I can't do that while I'm on the kindle. I can actually carry somewhat concealed with this holster, which I didn't expect to be able to do with this gun OWB.

I must say, for $39 shipped I'm very happy and would definitely recommend them to others. Oh, and I received this holster in less than a week!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    One thing to check is whether or not you can get a solid firing grip on the gun while it's still in the holster while you're wearing it.

Top Bottom