Holy Cow!!! So many AR's to choose from. How am I supposed to pick just 1?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abedooley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Columbus
    Hello everyone. I am in the market for an AR-15 and I am about to pull my hair out! I have been looking at Bushmasters, and there are SOOOO many different models and I can not sort out the differences between them all. Some look identical to one another, but there can be like a $200 difference in price and some abbreviations I can't decipher. My allowance is about $1200. I am looking for a home defense/target shooting rifle in .223 caliber without the carry handle. I dont much care if its all decked out because I wanna pick out all my accessories later when I have more cash available. I need some help. I wanna go with Bushmaster, but I am open to other brands.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I know what you mean. Just look at the RRA catalog! I am going to build mine, so it's even worse!

But then again, it is kinda fun...

Good luck. You will get lot's of responses about how your going to use it, etc.. If I was buying one just for HD and target shooting(which I am not), I would buy a carbine with standard Mil-spec stuff.

you could look at:

Colt
    PSA
    RRA
    Wyndham(if they are still around)
    Stag
    S&W
    Self built

Of course, that just make you more confused.:)

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    There are sometimes obvious differences between AR's and sometimes subtle differences. Buttstocks, rails and barrels are generally the biggest price differentiators once you get past the name brand charisma.

For example I've got differently featured AR's in stock that range from about $800 to $1300. My recommendation for a first AR? Buy a Colt 6920. It will likely not lose value and be the easiest resale. It is the standard by which other AR's are judged.

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    You're tellin me!

Mine is a custom built which took 6 months (mostly due to parts not available but also deciding what to go with)
    3E8CBD3A-F969-4C5C-8D14-3EACC84EA3A6-19397-000016641A3DA24B_zps930c3110.jpg

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Hello everyone. I am in the market for an AR-15 and I am about to pull my hair out! I have been looking at Bushmasters, and there are SOOOO many different models and I can not sort out the differences between them all. Some look identical to one another, but there can be like a $200 difference in price and some abbreviations I can't decipher. My allowance is about $1200. I am looking for a home defense/target shooting rifle in .223 caliber without the carry handle. I dont much care if its all decked out because I wanna pick out all my accessories later when I have more cash available. I need some help. I wanna go with Bushmaster, but I am open to other brands.
    Even though you are in Columbus, talk to Mark, Shooter 521, at Bradis, and he can recommend building one yourself..... There have been several AR builds, at MCFG, and other locations...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    All of them will take your money in stock or not. Pay up....get in line.

PSA did this to me.

Good to know. I guess I'll call them when I am ready. I don't want to wait for a year and them have my money that long. I am not comfortable with that.

I like that Streicher's doesn't charge your card until the item ships. I have mags on back order since February.:(

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    1. Buy a standard platform... PSA, S & W, RRA... If you are lucky, you can do this for about $600 (will likely run as reliably as a $1200 AR... you can dress it up later)
    2. Buy a Mossberg Maverick 12g for home defense... .223 is not a good home defense caliber unless you don't have neighbors ;) $200
    3. Buy a pistol... M&P or XD or Glock or... CZ if you are wise.

Then... join the 3-Gun Nation lol

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    There are many good manufacturers to choose from, not only complete rifles but you configures it yourself as well. The first one I wanted was a military look-alike so I opted for a Bushmaster 20" A2 and couldn't have been happier. Of course then I wanted to make one for CQ (close quarters) so I had J&T custom build an upper for me that I put on a Rock River Entry lower. Then I wanted one as light as possible without going carbon, then I got a competition version for my daughter as a Christmas present.

Be careful, what seems reasonably priced at first can lead to an expensive but fun hobby.

abedooley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Columbus
    I have a. 410 for HD now, but mainly the .223 is for fun + HD if applicable. I have a list.
    #1. AR-15
    #2. Springfield Arms 1911 .45 ACP
    #3. .308 Lapua based upper for the AR-15 for precision shooting.
    This list has been in the works for a very long time. And I now have a good paying job that can support my habits. I would love to build my AR and 1911 from the ground up.
    You guys have given me some valuable info. I obviously need to dive deeper into the research. I've been researching and have discovered I want it all, but can only choose one. For now.
    That Spikes Tactical AR platform is BADA$$!!

abedooley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Columbus
    1. Buy a standard platform... PSA, S & W, RRA... If you are lucky, you can do this for about $600 (will likely run as reliably as a $1200 AR... you can dress it up later)
    2. Buy a Mossberg Maverick 12g for home defense... .223 is not a good home defense caliber unless you don't have neighbors ;) $200
    3. Buy a pistol... M&P or XD or Glock or... CZ if you are wise.

Then... join the 3-Gun Nation lol

This is what I'm looking at doing. I want the base to be as reliable as possible for years of funin'-n-gunnin'. I am not as knowledgeable in this field as I'd like to be. I am just worried I will buy a platform that isn't aftermarket friendly. I don't know if thats even possible. I know there are slight differences from one brand to the next, but is it enough that could render it stock forever. I guess that would be the base of what I do eventually buy.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    O.P. Please realize that the name Bushmaster is not what it used to be.
    They sold out to a different owner (Cerberus Group maybe?) and when they did, quality went straight through the floor.

A large group of original Bushmaster workers left and started Windham Weaponry.

If you're looking at used, go for an older Bushmaster. If new, buy Windham Weaponry.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a. 410 for HD now, but mainly the .223 is for fun + HD if applicable. I have a list.
    #1. AR-15
    #2. Springfield Arms 1911 .45 ACP
    #3. .308 Lapua based upper for the AR-15 for precision shooting.
    This list has been in the works for a very long time. And I now have a good paying job that can support my habits. I would love to build my AR and 1911 from the ground up.
    You guys have given me some valuable info. I obviously need to dive deeper into the research. I've been researching and have discovered I want it all, but can only choose one. For now.
    That Spikes Tactical AR platform is BADA$$!!

As to the 1911....if intending to build look at Fusion or Caspian for your base.

If just wanting a really good shooter...Springfield RO and do some tuning on it. In the reality of this piece, not much past some trigger love is needed and some good mags.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    As to the 1911....if intending to build look at Fusion or Caspian for your base.

If just wanting a really good shooter...Springfield RO and do some tuning on it. In the reality of this piece, not much past some trigger love is needed and some good mags.

My trigger on my RO is so nice that I am not sure I want to do anything to it! It is so much better than the "Loaded" I had.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My trigger on my RO is so nice that I am not sure I want to do anything to it! It is so much better than the "Loaded" I had.

I feel much the same way. I have 2 RO's and both are just so accurate out of the box that not much of anything is really needed. It is pretty much up to the owner operator what is needed.
    I have had a few loaded models and they did not run like the RO's.
    I currently own a Loaded that was sent through the custom shop at Springfield and it is just spot on.

Top Bottom