• ...and so much more!
  • mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Hey Ya'll.......
    Just wanted to pick the minds on who uses what for shotgun home defence ammo. Do you use something specific, different rounds in a different shot order? Do yo go staight for the kill on the first shot, or blast'em with some rubber beads??

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Hey Ya'll.......
    Just wanted to pick the minds on who uses what for shotgun home defence ammo. Do you use something specific, different rounds in a different shot order?

No. There is no way in a high-stress home-defense situation that you're going to be able to keep track of different rounds in the tube.

Do yo go staight for the kill on the first shot, or blast'em with some rubber beads??

Your goal in a self defense shooting is always to STOP the threat as quickly as possible. "Less lethal" rounds are used by LEO for compliance and have no buisness in a home defense gun. If the situation merits lethal force, then lethal force is what should be used. If it doesn't, then you shouldn't be shooting anyway.

I keep the tube and chamber loaded with 00 Military Buckshot which consistently makes one fist sized hole at 25 feet with my 18 1/2" cylinder-bore 870. The side saddle has 3 more rounds of buckshot and 3 Federal LEO slugs (just in case I'm attacked by a buffalo).

Last edited:

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    My 590A1 is fully loaded with 00 buck, and I have a six-shell side saddle with more of the same. I have also used #1 buck as well. The shotgun has a red-dot and a light with a strobe.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I keep my 870T loaded up with Hornady 00 Zombie Buck. The G19 stays loaded up on my war belt with extra mags loaded with 115gr Critical Defense, although I'm thinking switching to 124gr and trying out different hollow points.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Wouldn't do the whole mix and match garbage. Keep it simple and just get the job done. My 870 is loaded with Federal 00 LE Low Recoil for faster follow up shots. Side saddle has 3 more + 3 1oz slugs just in case they take cover.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    I keep my 870T loaded up with Hornady 00 Zombie Buck. The G19 stays loaded up on my war belt with extra mags loaded with 115gr Critical Defense, although I'm thinking switching to 124gr and trying out different hollow points.
    If you like the Critical Defense line and are looking for something heavier / hotter, look at the Critical Duty line. I switched all my 9mm over to 135gr +P. REALLY good stuff. Best price I found was sgammo.com.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I dont mix and match between lethal/non lethal rounds in my shotgun. I DO, however, load my double barrel with Aguila mini shells (#4 buck) for the first two barrels, followed up by low recoil 00 buck.

I know the mini shells aren't the best or the most powerful, but they pattern well at across the room ranges, the recoil is nearly non-existent, and the sound is quieter than a 22 short out of a rifle. My reasoning for them is that my wife and son may be the one that has to use them, and neither of them are all that comfortable with recoil. If the first two doesn't stop the attack, the low recoil 00 is a pretty good step up in the right direction...

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You will get everything here about every size. I think #7 shot is all you need. It's what I have loaded in my HD/SG. It is perfect in home, in apartment and in office defense shotgun ammo.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I load #8, #7, #6, #5, #4 buck, #3 buck, 00 buck and a slug. That way as they keep running away, my pattern stays the same.

Just kidding. I have #4 buck for the house. Slugs, 00 and bird shot close buy to use I need to.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom