• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I don't know if this subject ever came up but it is something I am trying to find a solution to.

Many of us have older parents who live together or alone still independently in their homes. Unfortunately, these older people often are easy targets for a burglar.

My father is one such person. He has a shotgun and hunted all his life, but never much into pistols. Even with that shotgun, he does not move quickly and would easily be overcome or surprised by an intruder.

I tried to give him one of my pistols, but he is more afraid that he would have an accident with it, or possibly shoot the wrong person. I remember one of my more painful experiences in life when I actually had to remove firearms from my grandfather's home against his will when he threatened to shoot a home care worker who did not do something quite right!

We removed all the jewelry and valuable stuff from there, but a burglar might not know there is nothing to steal there, at least nothing with street quick sale value. A burglar might get mad and violent if they went to the trouble to break in only to came up empty handed.

My father is no wimp. He was a bird colonel in the Army and in his day, was nobody you would want to mess with.

Fortunately he does have several good neighbors who keep an eye on him and they all know me.

I am looking for suggestions here because my father, hopefully has a few more years of living independently.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    mossberg persuader shotgun. it is a type of firearm he is proficient with, and knows how to operate. it would be wield-able in any situation and would bypass his fear of the pistol.
    Mossberg%20Persuader%20Model%20500%20-%20pix03.jpg

good luck. :)

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    20 or 12 gauge shotgun like what Tydeeh posted except mine has a stock. I don't like pistol grips without a stock because I can get hits on target faster with a stock.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    You say your concern is your father being easily overcome or surprised by an intruder. Perhaps extensive security measures would help. Motion detector lights outside for intruder deterrence. Also alarms on all windows and doors along with a plan on how to react to those alarms. If said alarms engage proceed to a defensible position and call 911.
    Just some thoughts

Last edited:

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    An alert and protective German Shepherd would give a few extra seconds to for the shotgun to get ready.
    ui2ikdbb1c045ddviewattth1375555cafe.jpg

You might consider a Taurus Judge as an option.

I :patriot: your dad for his service.

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    mossberg persuader shotgun. it is a type of firearm he is proficient with, and knows how to operate. it would be wield-able in any situation and would bypass his fear of the pistol.
    Mossberg%20Persuader%20Model%20500%20-%20pix03.jpg

good luck. :)

And if he's got a problem with grip strength or arthritic hands/wrists, the version of this ^ with the second pistol grip on the forend (instead of that sling) seems to help people rack the next round quite a bit easier.

Mossberg84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    My grandpa slept with a 1911 under each pillow.

Motion detector lights and motion alarms should give a little extra time for your dad to get to the shotgun and get ready

Also :+1: to him for his service

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I'll have to second what everyone says about beefing up security around the house. At my house I us the multi-layered approach and intentionally make it one that would deter a robber. My gun is the first thing I go for but is hopefully the last thing used, but am fully preppared to us it to defend myself and my family.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    And if he's got a problem with grip strength or arthritic hands/wrists, the version of this ^ with the second pistol grip on the forend (instead of that sling) seems to help people rack the next round quite a bit easier.

You usually dont need a next round with a 12 gauge, that's the beauty of it. :D

Even with mutliple attackers they will usually leave you alone once you blasted the first one with 00 buckshot from across your living room. :dunno:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'd put some effort into deterrence. My mother lives alone, and is fairly anti-weapons of any sort. So, we've put some thought into security lights, good locks, alarm system, and some situational awareness. I did finally convince her to keep the phone and some OC spray on the nightstand. Not ideal, but it is about all she can handle.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    An alert and protective German Shepherd would give a few extra seconds to for the shotgun to get ready.
    ui2ikdbb1c045ddviewattth1375555cafe.jpg

You might consider a Taurus Judge as an option.

I :patriot: your dad for his service.

That looks just like my dog, except I can't train her to a scope. She's very good with iron sights though.

OP--some older people have a lot of trouble with shotguns due to arthritis in their shoulders. Any recoil really hurts them. I don't know if your dad has that problem, but what about a good .22 rifle? Something like a Ruger 10/22 with a mag or a Marlin 64? Several .22 shots will do a body bad just like 00 Buck, especially loaded with HP, and the recoil is negligible.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My grandfather uses the persuader in .410. It seems to work for him.

With the current line up of defensive ammo, this might be worth looking into. Pistol grip shotguns are not the easiest thing to control for someone in good shape, putting that sort of recoil in the hands of a person not as strong/agile as they once were.

Another thought I had was a double barrel coach gun, loaded with the shorty 12 gauge buckshot loads. Not sure where that lands on the recoil scale, but the shorter double barrel is about as fast handeling as they come before you get into the handgun/pistol grip shotgun realm. Combine that with two shots without having to cycle any action, and it should be enough to turn anyone that is still standing after the barrels are clear.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    That looks just like my dog, except I can't train her to a scope. She's very good with iron sights though.

OP--some older people have a lot of trouble with shotguns due to arthritis in their shoulders. Any recoil really hurts them. I don't know if your dad has that problem, but what about a good .22 rifle? Something like a Ruger 10/22 with a mag or a Marlin 64? Several .22 shots will do a body bad just like 00 Buck, especially loaded with HP, and the recoil is negligible.

How about an M1 carbine? the recoil is still light, the carbine is light and compact, and he probably has experience with it. btw, given that he was a colonel, he probably was issued a handgun, why would he be uncomfortable with one?
    Thank him for his service on behalf of all us old soldiers and gun-nuts here at INGO!

454puttna

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    martinsville
    First a salute out to your Dad for his service and being a full Bird. Not to compare my mother to your father but, for my Mom I got her a Circuit Judge, I feel the rifle/revolver style is better for her. It's easy to handle, recoil is low and with the Defender rounds it'll stop anyone. I'm planning to put a green laser on it to help her aim as she cant shoot from the shoulder due to disability, but off the hip she's lethal. Also a cheap motion chime from harbor freight let's her know when someone is around the door.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will certainly use some of them. The worse part is convincing my father that he cannot assume he is safe in the house he lived most of his life in and needs to take precautions.

Top Bottom