• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsom2006

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Noblesville
    I personally like the .40 or .45 over the 9mm for home defense as well. Main reason is the speed and size of the 9mm has a greater likelyhood of penetrating through drywall and hitting an unintended target. Both are better than being unprepared however. I like the set up either way.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I have a G19 with the same light/laser. I like the quick release on the light as I carry it sometimes during the day. Great setup in my opinion.

Jross1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2010
    My brother bought one just like it and I've fired it. It shoots like a dream. Great choice!

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I personally like the .40 or .45 over the 9mm for home defense as well. Main reason is the speed and size of the 9mm has a greater likelyhood of penetrating through drywall and hitting an unintended target. Both are better than being unprepared however. I like the set up either way.

Really... The Box O' Truth #12 - Insulated Walls - Page 1

For me, penetration through walls isn't a concern w/ ammo choice. If it can't go through dry-wall, how's it going to do against an intruder? YMMV :twocents:

Thanks everyone for the kudos. Still haven't gotten to the range to break it in.

forklfteddie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    my choice aswell for carry and G17 for home. also carry the G32 also very sweet in 357 sig and you can get a 40 cal barrel for it a G23 barrel...nice set up...

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Went to the range last night, and put about 250 rounds through the gun. So far mostly FMJ, but digested 20 rounds of Gold Dot without a problem (and that was after shooting all the FMJ.)

It is now a dirty, dirty gun. Will clean and get back to the range so I can shoot more. I don't think reliability is going to be an issue with this one. Not sure about the RTF texture on the grip. Seems scratchy to me. But on the other hand, it doesn't slip in my hand. So, I'll see if I can just get used to it.

Still have to zero the laser, its close now, but could be a little better. Thinking I'll zero it in for the longest distance in the house.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Glock 19...an excellent choice...stable, accurate, well-functioning platform...you'll love it! I knew a guy who put over 10,000 rounds through his 17 without cleaning it...and without a single hiccup! Pretty impressive...that was in the late 90's!

Just a small note about using a laser...if you're counting on using that for accuracy, you'll be too slow! You'll be looking for that instead of AT your target while your target may be already looking directly at you! Also, a laser (as well as a light) works both ways...it lets someone know exactly where you are! If anyone's using a laser / light in my direction, guess where I'm going to fire? Yup, you guessed it, directly INTO the laser/light! Why? Take a guess as to who's standing behind it? I'd guess that might be a new definition for the term "User Error!"

Suggestion: Train with night sights...keep a separate flashlight around as a back up! You can always hold it up and away and still get the job done vs have the light shine from right about where your mouth should be! Fancy vs basics...I'll take basics.

Just a few thoughts... :patriot: ...and best to you as you learn the 'ins-n-outs' of your new gun! Enjoy it!

Last edited:

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Here is our new home defense handgun... Haven't shot it yet, but I've got 550 rounds on order to put through it. All 124gr, as that's what I've settled on. Just a plain old Glock 19. Just bought the Streamlight TLR-2 for it. Think I'll upgrade the sights on it as well, just has plain old sights on it.

IMG_3408.JPG

Good choice. My hands just do not fit the Glock so I went with the XDM, the 1911, etc. depending on the day. The 9mm, .40 and .45 all will do their part with proper shot placement. The money saved in ammo can be turned into more practice fodder and better use of the real weapon, the operator(you). Thanks for sharing!

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Glock 19...an excellent choice...stable, accurate, well-functioning platform...you'll love it! I knew a guy who put over 10,000 rounds through his 17 without cleaning it...and without a single hiccup! Pretty impressive...that was in the late 90's!

Just a small note about using a laser...if you're counting on using that for accuracy, you'll be too slow! You'll be looking for that instead of AT your target while your target may be already looking directly at you! Also, a laser (as well as a light) works both ways...it lets someone know exactly where you are! If anyone's using a laser / light in my direction, guess where I'm going to fire? Yup, you guessed it, directly INTO the laser/light! Why? Take a guess as to who's standing behind it? I'd guess that might be a new definition for the term "User Error!"

Suggestion: Train with night sights...keep a separate flashlight around as a back up! You can always hold it up and away and still get the job done vs have the light shine from right about where your mouth should be! Fancy vs basics...I'll take basics.

Just a few thoughts... :patriot: ...and best to you as you learn the 'ins-n-outs' of your new gun! Enjoy it!

Yep - def. plan on training with the laser/light combo. So far just practicing with it on the gun. The laser def. seems to be a point shooting weapon at in home ranges.

Already have a 3 D cell maglite by the bed stand.

Top Bottom