Home Defense Rifle: Round chambered or not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How do you keep your home defense rifle?

• Total voters

Dale1320

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2015
    Brownsburg
    Loaded mag empty chamber in our house. We have a 4 yr old that we are still teaching. Once we are 100% confident that he completely understands, things will change.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Rifle is placed in a good location unloaded with the bolt locked back. Magazine is close by but physically impossible for my 2 year old to reach.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I EDC is Condtion 1. First long gun out of the safe is a Mossberg pump. Full mag tube and one chambered, safety on.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    Loaded mag empty chamber in our house. We have a 4 yr old that we are still teaching. Once we are 100% confident that he completely understands, things will change.

Thats what we did. Once I felt comfortable with everyone's gun handling its condition one in a controlled location. Before that it was kept unloaded and or safely secured.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    More options when you don't have children in the house. I never considered keeping any of my long guns loaded when my kids were small, and all were locked up when I wasn't home.

Now, things are.........different.

MPD742

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2014
    Grant County
    I agree totally with the majority of posts being chambered. Where it is stored and who has access could be an issue but that would be an issue chambered or not.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I was doing this for a long time. Kids grown and gone.
    Now, we have as many as 4 terrorists running amok at any given time (see avatar +2) so my program has changed from necessity.
    There are 2 Magged up AR''s in strategic locations bolts in battery empty chambers. Shot gun same condition.
    I have to train the terrorists before I can leave "Loaded' condition 1 firearms out.
    I am a fair hand at getting one ready for business.

I did this, when kids were around ....

JMHO, this is the # ! reason, for doing this ..... (little kids at home ) !!!!!

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Both handguns loaded with a round in the chamber.

Both rifles with a loaded mag, no round in the chamber. That will change once I have an adequate safe.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I see no reason to have a rifle as a HD weapon so I didn't vote in the poll. We have a Glock 27 with one in the pipe, a Judge with three rounds of 000 Buck and two slugs, and a 12 gauge pump with the magazine full of 00 Buck and an empty chamber.

Rooze1986

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 26, 2014
    NWI
    Two handguns loaded with one in the chamber, HD dedicated shotgun loaded with one in chamber, all with safeties on. No kids yet so no need to worry about them messing with it.

I live in a rural area so it would take at least 20 minutes for the sheriff to show up. I sleep a lot better with a loaded gun and a plan.:tinfoil:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I was doing this for a long time. Kids grown and gone.
    Now, we have as many as 4 terrorists running amok at any given time (see avatar +2) so my program has changed from necessity.
    There are 2 Magged up AR''s in strategic locations bolts in battery empty chambers. Shot gun same condition.
    I have to train the terrorists before I can leave "Loaded' condition 1 firearms out.
    I am a fair hand at getting one ready for business.
    All mine have one in the pipe but as you know I also have kids. I never leave guns where they can get access to them. I have home defense guns in strategic locked up positions. And I carry on my person 98% of the time so I could fight to a secondary.
    im like you CM and family is our number one priority period. If we allow unsafe gun storage practices to be just as dangerous as an intruder then what's the point? So I think we are all on the same page. Each person should do what they feel comfortible with in their own home.
    now if someone carries with an unloaded chamber on the street, I'll call that a stupid move all day everyday.

Phoenix1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Greenwood
    Good poll - I keep my AR in Condition 1 in the safe. Seems pointless otherwise, because if SHTF, that's one less thing to worry about.

Bigdog357

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Indiana
    I keep several pistols around the house in different locations, all loaded, but empty chamber, it a habit that I got use to when the kids were in the house as a little extra protection (small kids cant rack the slide on most semi's). I cant imagine not having the couple seconds to rack the slide should I need it in an emergency. I handle and shoot my guns so often that it only takes me a nano sec to rack and be on target in one fluid motion.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    A lot of people don't keep a chambered round because they are uncomfortible with their gun. Afraid it will just go off. So I think this is also a training opportunity for some folks. Get a couple basic classes under your belt and be empowered with knowledge. It's a comforting feeling

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    The main reason I can come up with for not keeping a round chambered in my home defense AR is that, unlike my EDC handgun, my rifle is not always under my control. With handguns, I either have them on me or they are locked in a safe or lockbox. But, the AR might be in a different room. I don't keep my HD rifle locked up. It sits on a bracket mounted on the wall next to the nightstand usually. That's the only real justification I have for not chambering a round regularly on the rifle. If I carried it around with me, I'd have no reason to not keep a round chambered.

My thoughts exactly. Wife and I don't have kids yet but some do occasionally come over to the house.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I keep several pistols around the house in different locations, all loaded, but empty chamber, it a habit that I got use to when the kids were in the house as a little extra protection (small kids cant rack the slide on most semi's). I cant imagine not having the couple seconds to rack the slide should I need it in an emergency. I handle and shoot my guns so often that it only takes me a nano sec to rack and be on target in one fluid motion.
    I've never taken that for granted. (Kids not being able to operate the slide. Kids are very smart and WILL find a way if they're interested enough and have the chance.
    all guns are always locked up in our house unless they're holstered on my body or on the magnet in my shower when I'm in there. Bathroom door locked still.

Bigdog357

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Indiana
    Yes, when I had kids at home they were always locked up, but just in case they happened across one I felt better knowing there was not one in the chamber!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Bolt closed, mag in.... NO round chambered. It's not about being uncomfortable, it's seeing my idiot friend slamfire an SKS. I'm not a gun guru armorer, so I do what makes sense to me. I doubt the tenth of the second it takes to charge your rifle makes a difference to those who have a handgun as their initial primary HD weapon. If I only had a rifle, maybe I'd reconsider, but for HD, I'd much rather have a handgun.

Top Bottom