• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    So I have been looking to get a HD shotty for a long time. I went to Jerry's to pick up a Mosin, and found a sweet deal on a Mossberg 12 gauge instead.

1117001507.jpg

1115002326.jpg

But I soon found out that HD shottys are addicting, and you can't just leave them as is. So i had to order some parts. Got a Heatsheild with Ghost ring sights, and a Tri rail from Optics Planet. I got a Laser from Bass Pro Shop, and i already had a flashlight that i mounted on with a scope ring. And I finally found a use for a 5 shot holder i have had forever.

IMG_1111.jpg

It's pretty darn intimidating.

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

I painted the front sight a nice blaze orange glow, you can see it through the ghost rings.

IMG_1116.jpg

I love this heat shield, it adds so much to the gun.

IMG_1117.jpg

And this INova super bright light will blind just about anyone and kill there night vision.

IMG_1120.jpg

And I know what you're thinking, isn't the laser a bit of an overkill. Why yes it is.

IMG_1118.jpg

And I know at least one person is wondering why i would go with a cheap shell carrier instead of a good one that gets mounted on the reciever. Well i shall tell you. Its for counter balance, the laser and flashlight at the front of the gun make it a tad front heavy. the extra weight of the shells at the back help with this.

IMG_1114.jpg

I can't wait to take her out for a test drive. :rockwoot:

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I hope the parts hold up for you the light mount looks funny to me, like it's undersized. What happens when you reload the shells on the butt stock, then the gun that you are used to feeling balanced out, suddenly is front heavy? It's not my cup of tea per say, but give try it out and make sure it's practical and fill your needs.

The 500 I had it Iraq was go good not only did it do it's job it also knocked out my front teeth.. Yay for getting excited.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I hope the parts hold up for you the light mount looks funny to me, like it's undersized. What happens when you reload the shells on the butt stock, then the gun that you are used to feeling balanced out, suddenly is front heavy? It's not my cup of tea per say, but give try it out and make sure it's practical and fill your needs.

The 500 I had it Iraq was go good not only did it do it's job it also knocked out my front teeth.. Yay for getting excited.

So you were on door duty and held the rear of the shotgun in line with your mouth?

Sounds painful.

@ SadClown...... so that's a LOT of stuff on that shotgun, let me know how it shoots.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Any shotgun with a tube extension fully loaded weighs a ton as it is...side carrier or @ the rear either way is just more weight. Use it enough and you won't need to hit the gym! ;)

I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Have you had that thing fully loaded yet? (in a safe environment of course) Its got to be extremely front heavy.. regardless of the shells by the stock..

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The laser/light combo just looks a little cumbersome to me, but if you like it and it works for you then more power to you. Everyone should set their guns up for however they want them. Normally my shotgun is under the bed full of 6 rounds of 00, with 4 slugs in the side saddle, then I have 20 more rounds in the stock pack. I intentionally packed as many rounds as I could onto that gun in the event that I had to grab it for the reason I bought it. It's a heavy awkwardly weighted club, but the extra weight does cut down the recoil some too. My only point in saying all of that is setting up a gun is a very personal preference and I'm glad to see you took the time to make that gun just how YOU want it to be.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Your saddle on the stock: I put one on my Rossi singleshot, kept sliding around under recoil despite placement. Do you have an area for a sling swivel? Put a small hole in the saddle, then screw into the swivel. Eliminates all movement! :)

Alot of stuff on your gun, I hope it all works after a bunch of full power shells. The heatshield, while not my thing, makes it look cool! :D

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    Chances are you will be changing that setup around before your done if you ever get serious about the weapon.

If you like it and it floats your boat, runs well for you then all's well. If not, moving this dropping that and after a few range trips you'll find what you like and don't like.

Cheep lasers have a tendency to shift zero sometimes by feet instead of inches after a few or even one or two shots. if it doesn't right off it will eventually.

Magazine clamps no matter how well or cheaply made will likely slide around with that much weight on them under recoil no matter how you mount them.

Be careful not to over tighten them as thats easy to do and a pinched Mag doesn't feed shells real well.

Just good things to watch for when you start running it, not a bash by any means just lessons that I learned years ago.

If you end up not liking that heat shield with ghost rings after running it don't sweat it few do. We ordered a few in due to customers asking for them and immediately regretted it.

Get a bit of ammo and get out and run the gun! The setup will come along slowly, you'll find things that may not fit you quite right and most can be modded or replaced to the shooters own needs and likes.

I would drop the shell carrier though they border on completely worthless they slide, roll and hang every way you would rather they didn't unless you secure them to the stock.

Over time the elastic gives out kinda like an old comfortable set of drawers your wife get tired of seeing you sit around in and ****cans them someday when your gone and then you throw it the trash or give it to a buddy.

You may find your initial set up is the Bee's knee's or may just like it bare bones, if not I know a cat that can help you through the process with far less expense than he went through to learn the ins and outs. ;)

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    I would think the laser sight is superfluous... with the flashlight beam spreading out, and the pellets spreading out...

just a thought.

At HD distances the shot doesn't spread far at all. Neither do most lights, unless specifically designed to do so. It is easy to miss someone under stress at 3 to 7 yards. The misconception is scatterguns scatter a bunch at that range.

One of the best things you can do is pattern your gun when you get it out to the range.

Find out what your pattern is with a couple three different loads, at different distances from 5 to 15 yds, The Flight control stuff from Federal is hard to beat in the widest variety of shotguns. Remington, Hornady, and others make excellent loads but they all will pattern differently in different guns.

I agree with you on the laser sight they have their place but I'm not a huge fan of them on Shottie's for HD use. :dunno:

gmotox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Illinois
    Is there a gun dealer i'n Indy or around Indy that carries alot of tactical parts and guns as far as home defense shot guns and AR parts

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Is there a gun dealer i'n Indy or around Indy that carries alot of tactical parts and guns as far as home defense shot guns and AR parts

We carry a lot of parts and guns for home defense shotguns.
    I can order the AR parts or you can visit the shop next to us.
    Call us or stop by
    TSG Guns

Patti

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    At HD distances the shot doesn't spread far at all. Neither do most lights, unless specifically designed to do so. It is easy to miss someone under stress at 3 to 7 yards. The misconception is scatterguns scatter a bunch at that range.

One of the best things you can do is pattern your gun when you get it out to the range.

Find out what your pattern is with a couple three different loads, at different distances from 5 to 15 yds, The Flight control stuff from Federal is hard to beat in the widest variety of shotguns. Remington, Hornady, and others make excellent loads but they all will pattern differently in different guns.

Here's an example of how differently some brands pattern. As suggested by Gungho, you need to see how your gun patterns with your chosen load.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...eral_brands_of_12ga_buckshot.html#post1453698

Top Bottom