• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

He's posted before about how he'd like to get out of debt...

And I take it upon myself to remind young padawan of this when he posts the "I want" threads.

Gives me a chance to bust his chops a little; and to hopefully remind him of priorities...

-J-

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

And I take it upon myself to remind young padawan of this when he posts the "I want" threads.

Gives me a chance to bust his chops a little; and to hopefully remind him of priorities...

-J-
    Ah. I was thinkin' "why the heck is that anybody else's bidnezz?! But I guess if someone volunteers that info up on a public forum, it's fair game.
    Carry on.

Twisterx44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Not really sure you'd "need" lasers, folding stocks, heat seaking rounds, etc.

I think an 18.5" barrel, a flashlight, some 00 buckshot and some slugs, and a lot of practice will serve you just fine.

Keep it simple.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

-J-

Oh I have my priorities straight, don't worry ;)

This thread was also created for my dad. He already has a 870, and is wanting to look into HD accessories too.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    That is truly bad advice on all levels and there is no way you can argue it.

Come on man, this is the intarnets! We can and will argue about anything and everything perpetually.

Yeah, I have night hunted for 30+ years too BUT fox hunting at night is not really about taking a second or third shot and my adrenaline is not amped up.

If a fox coming in at night doesn't get your adrenaline amped up, you probably should have quit night hunting a long time ago.

I used to think I didn't need a light on my shotgun for HD. But since I moved to a new house out in the country, well... it's dark in this house at night.

I have a Remington 870 junior in 20 ga. that I just love. 18.5" barrel and about 38 inches overall if I recall. 3" chamber and Rem-choke tubes. Good for camping, truck gun, toss it in the canoe, undo one thumbscrew and it breaks down and fits in a duffel bag. The stock is a little short so I do need to add a 1" pad to the butt. Using an 870 just comes automatic to me.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    it was better to ignore his comments

Looks like the consensis is to keep it simple and do some practice. That sounds like the real answer

Get some IPSC targets and put them on a range and try your skills at night. Before you go buy stuff, just take your light you already have and try a couple of the techniques of just holding your light alongside the forearm or a few things like that,

for practice you can use birdshot just to get the feel then pattern a couple different brands of buck

one good thing is there is plenty of good ammo out there and after you pattern some at 10ft out to 20 yds you will have a good idea of what your up against, Some people are surprised at close range on guns that shot doesn't always open up as fast as you would think.

Come on man, this is the intarnets! We can and will argue about anything and everything perpetually.

If a fox coming in at night doesn't get your adrenaline amped up, you probably should have quit night hunting a long time ago.

I used to think I didn't need a light on my shotgun for HD. But since I moved to a new house out in the country, well... it's dark in this house at night.

I have a Remington 870 junior in 20 ga. that I just love. 18.5" barrel and about 38 inches overall if I recall. 3" chamber and Rem-choke tubes. Good for camping, truck gun, toss it in the canoe, undo one thumbscrew and it breaks down and fits in a duffel bag. The stock is a little short so I do need to add a 1" pad to the butt. Using an 870 just comes automatic to me.

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Range

One consideration I haven't seen mentioned is the maximum range necessary for a HD gun. Most likely, in our home, we would never have a shot farther than 20'. Considering the fact that my wife, who is a shooter but half my size, is as likely to use the gun as I am, we opted for Managed Recoil 00 buck. I'm convinced it will be more than adequate at the probable range while dramatically improving the chance of getting a second or third shot on target. :twocents:

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    That is truly bad advice on all levels and there is no way you can argue it.

You define a single, myopic view of a specific scenario that involves not moving, a static position and having lights or ambient light in the house AND assume it will be enough to identify your target.

Yeah, I have night hunted for 30+ years too BUT fox hunting at night is not really about taking a second or third shot and my adrenaline is not amped up. AND if you do swing and blaze away at night on a moving target even with a light on, by definition you have tunnel vision.

Lets see you take 3 to 4 aimed shots with a PUMP, in the dark, in cramped quarters, while holding a light in your weak hand and hit 50% in less than a few seconds. You can even use static targets but in real life they are moving...........and before you go off half cocked, yeah I know how to run an 870 fairly well.

Where do you put the light IF you even remotely have to reload even oen round? Or do you use a light with a lanyard on your wrist while working a pump? I am pretty sure you don't and even reloading a handgun like that and retrieving the light takes some practice.

Let's see you take a second shot with a shotgun in a 10 x 10 room in the dark. IT'S CALLED A FLASH BANG! It WILL destroy your hearing and anyone near you with just one shot fired.

Seriously, how many of you have ever pulled the trigger of a shotgun in a confined space in zero light? You won't get a second shot off. It'll stun you just as it does the bad guy. It'll end up a race to see who recovers first. Don't believe me? Try it sometime.

Suppressed pistols. That's what you want. Two of them. One for each hand. Quiet enough to not suffer the wrath of the bang, and little if any flash. Short enough to maneuver. Two in case you lose one to the bad guy or go empty.

It ain't Hollywood guys. Don't do permanent damage to yourself or others you love because you don't know what you're getting into.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    That is true of any gun used inside. I have shot 12 gauge, 9mm and .45 in a closet sized space in the dark, I wore hearing and eye protection. Even so, the pressure felt was enormous.

That is one reason why I keep both ear and eye pro by my bed, on my dresser, at the other end of my house, in the basement, in my garage, in my truck and all my go bags.

You can spin a million directions on any shoot scenario but the reality is half the time you may end up going outside, you may end up in the basement or garage. You do not control the situation.

A gun at night without a light is risky and can even be a legal liability.

Operating a pump shotgun to the best of your ability with a handheld light in your weakhand is BS. That is bad advice. That is plain and simple and easy to debate. The OP asked about shotguns and what to put on them.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I'm hoping to buy my first shotgun for HD purposes. Well, I gotta convince my wife first ;)

I already know I want a Rem 870 12 gauge. But, which model is best for HD?

What are some "must have" mods FOR a home defense shotgun? Do you need a sling? Pistol grip? Adjustable stock? What kind of light? Is a pressure switch recommended? What type of shell carrier? What about night sights?

I'm heading into new territory, and it's rather exciting :D

If your wanting to "assesorize" the 870, I'd head on over to TSG's and see what they have. Last I seen at the gunshow, they had several guns done up that you could look at to see what you really like. I do believe they are a forum Sponser also!

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    .....a VG will torque your action bars and you can always tell a gun that has had one. It is also slower to pump, if you really time yourself with it. You will move the muzzle around more as well. Using it in the prone position is even worse then using a pump with out it, which is not great.

Good advice Zoub, the OP needs to see what of all these options will work best for them.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've shot 2 different 870's. My dad's, and VUPDblue's. And I liked them. :D

Have you tried Benelli M1S90, M2? Mossberg 930 SPX? Winchester SX2 Practical Mk I? FN SLP Mk I? Beretta's offerings? Remington 1100 or 11-87?

Just askin', is all . . .

I use self-loaders 'cause my T-Rex arms are too short for a pump, even with teeny tiny stock.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Have you tried Benelli M1S90, M2? Mossberg 930 SPX? Winchester SX2 Practical Mk I? FN SLP Mk I? Beretta's offerings? Remington 1100 or 11-87?

Just askin', is all . . .

I use self-loaders 'cause my T-Rex arms are too short for a pump, even with teeny tiny stock.

Nope, actually, I've never even seen any of those before.

I DO have a Moss. 500 20 gauge though. That and the 870 are the only shotguns I've ever fired.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Suppressed pistols. That's what you want. Two of them. One for each hand. Quiet enough to not suffer the wrath of the bang, and little if any flash. Short enough to maneuver. Two in case you lose one to the bad guy or go empty.

It ain't Hollywood guys. Don't do permanent damage to yourself or others you love because you don't know what you're getting into.

Just to be clear....
    Shotgun for HD = Hollywood
    Dual suppressed pistols for HD = legitimate

:dunno:

I think someone trying to fight with two pistols will be more of a danger than the concussive effects of a shotgun, but I'll grant you suppressors, in the form a pistol caliber carbine, anyways.

Top Bottom