• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    What is the best home defense shotgun setup, i.e. type of load, gauge and more importantly barrel type and stock choice?

If you don't mind elaborating on your suggestions, that would be appreciated too, thanks!

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    First, let me just say that there is no one perfect solution for everyone. We all have different living arrangements (house, apartments, etc.), family members, recoil tolerances, and so on. That being said, most of the questions you asked come down to personal preference. For example, my HD shotgun is set up like this:

Mossberg 500 TR (12 gauge, 18.5" barrel, 5+1 capacity, shortened fixed stock, fiber-optic sight)
    Streamlight tlr-1s weapon-light
    5-round butt-cuff

I chose this set up because I like my HD shotgun to be compact and fast with no frills. I keep it loaded with 5+1 of Hornady TAP #4 buckshot. I find this load to strike the perfect balance of terminal performance and reduced over-penetration (I have other family members in the house). I keep the butt-cuff stocked with 5 additional rifled slugs, just incase I need a little more range/penetration.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    :popcorn:

This is always fun...

My setup:

Remington 870 with +2 mag tube
    18.5" cylinder bore w/ XS Big Dot bead
    Tube loaded with Winchester 00 Military Buckshot
    Side-saddle with 3 more 00 buck and 3 Federal LE Slugs
    Knoxx Recoil-reducing pistol grip/collapsible stock.
    Single-point sling
    Fenix light

Someone will be along shortly to tell you how my setup is all wrong and how all you really need is a single shot with birdshot.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    :popcorn:

This is always fun...

My setup:

Remington 870 with +2 mag tube
    18.5" cylinder bore w/ XS Big Dot bead
    Tube loaded with Winchester 00 Military Buckshot
    Side-saddle with 3 more 00 buck and 3 Federal LE Slugs
    Knoxx Recoil-reducing pistol grip/collapsible stock.
    Single-point sling
    Fenix light

Someone will be along shortly to tell you how my setup is all wrong and how all you really need is a single shot with birdshot.

No no no you need a single shot with rock salt! Duh

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    The specific make / model / in tube varies depending on the room and area, but 12 ga. w/ #4 buckshot, additional rounds of 00 buckshot, slugs, and additional #4 buckshot.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I like a 20ga. because I can handle it better - faster and quicker for me. In my mind I'm trading some stopping power (vs. a 12ga.) for some quickness and handling.

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    First, let me just say that there is no one perfect solution for everyone. We all have different living arrangements (house, apartments, etc.), family members, recoil tolerances, and so on. That being said, most of the questions you asked come down to personal preference. For example, my HD shotgun is set up like this:

Mossberg 500 TR (12 gauge, 18.5" barrel, 5+1 capacity, shortened fixed stock, fiber-optic sight)
    Streamlight tlr-1s weapon-light
    5-round butt-cuff

I chose this set up because I like my HD shotgun to be compact and fast with no frills. I keep it loaded with 5+1 of Hornady TAP #4 buckshot. I find this load to strike the perfect balance of terminal performance and reduced over-penetration (I have other family members in the house). I keep the butt-cuff stocked with 5 additional rifled slugs, just incase I need a little more range/penetration.

Thanks for these suggestions. Very helpful.

bmwguru

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    I run a Benelli M4 with a Carriercomp 7 round titanium mag tube. Also using a US made Wolf follower and a US made Freedom Fighter Tactical disconnector to get it all 922r compliant. I's currently loaded with 9 rounds of Hornady 00 buck.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    When my dad gave my his Rem 1100 for birds and clay, I re-purposed my Rem 870 for the house. It now has an adjustable shoulder shock and vertical forend with an old 18" smooth slug barrel (with iron sights) that I bought cheap off the used rack at Bradis several years ago.

#4 shot in the magazine and rifled Foster slugs in the side saddle carrier.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Mossberg 930 SPX with Hornady 12ga 2¾" 00 buck shot shells is what I have for home defense right now.

Not sure that the shotgun matters as long as it's reliable and you know how to use it proficiently. I would think more about what ammo you choose for home defense. 00 buck is powerful and will go right through drywall.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    This is a preemptive strike:

Oh good, more people advocating silliness.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I'm going to break out the bullhorn for this one...

ANYTHING THAT WILL RELIABLY PENETRATE DEEP ENOUGH TO PHYSICALLY INCAPACITATE SOMEONE WILL EASILY PASS THROUGH COMMON HOUSEHOLD BUILDING MATERIALS!!!

Birdshot has no business in a defensive gun.

Know your angles and always be sure of your target and what's behind it.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Most people seem to lean towards a pump. In theory I agree. In reality, I have an 1100 that has never jammed. Thousands of rounds. Whatever you choose, please don't listen to our Moron Vice President.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Oh man, I'm confused. Have we skipped worrying about "over penetration" and jumped directly to "**** it, burn it down!"?

Just to be sure we got 'em all I've switched from my 12ga to a C-130 that circles around my house 24/7. It costs a ton to fuel that thing, but the remote firing device pad that I have ensures that I can effectively hit all the bad guys from every angle at once.

Top Bottom