Home Defense/Trap shooting is there alternatives?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    I am looking for my first shotgun. Primarily for home defense, but I also enjoy regularly shooting trap at the club...

Trying to keep my costs reasonable and I have been looking at the Remington 870 Express Combo as the best choice, but I know there are LOTS of you out there much more into Shotty's than myself (being more of a handgun guy).

Anyone want to give me some alternatives to the 870 Combo, or is this really the best choice for being able to go shoot Trap on a Sunday and then putting it back in the bedroom on Monday? Also along with the suggestions, if you can toss out an Approximate price on the alternative I would appreciate it...

(Also, please do not let this thread turn into a Remington/Mossberg pissin match. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I am just looking for a little help.) Thanks.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    I'd say pick your favorite trap gun, I always loved my Browning O/U for trap. At inside the house range if two rounds of your favorite SD load don't do it you have a lot bigger problems..

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I would go with a Remington but my preference would be for an 1100. Go with a 26 inch barrel and you can have a 10+1 Choate extension on it which makes it swing nice for clays and has the capacity for home defense.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    you really can't go wrong with an 870. however, if you're just shooting trap for enjoyment, not competitive, you may wants to go the 20 gauge route. still plenty of options for home defense, and much easier on the shoulder if spending a whole day busting clays. i own an 870 in 12 ga, but almost always take the mossy 500 20 ga. when shooting trap or doves where i'll be burning up the shells.

smokey1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Indiana
    I've been looking at shotguns myself lately, and have looked very closely at the 870 Express..... I'm NOT impressed at all. I'm leaning towards taking that $350 & buying a really nice used 870 Wingmaster..... I've used both, and there's absolutely no comparison between the two guns.... at least none that makes the Express look like anything more than an in-house knock off of one of the greatest shotguns ever built. Remington should have called it the 435, because it's half the gun, at half the price.

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    i would get yourself an 870 with a 18" barrell for HD and something longer, say, 27ish for the clays. i dont have the HD barrel for mine but my 870 with a 27 inch is my go to firearm when i want to post impressive trap numbers. my dad won a 3 thousand dollar beretta o/u a while back in a contest, and we both do way better with our 870 wingmasters than with that expensive piece. couldnt tell you the last time that o/u has seen the light of day

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I am looking for my first shotgun. Primarily for home defense, but I also enjoy regularly shooting trap at the club...

Trying to keep my costs reasonable and I have been looking at the Remington 870 Express Combo as the best choice, but I know there are LOTS of you out there much more into Shotty's than myself (being more of a handgun guy).

Anyone want to give me some alternatives to the 870 Combo, or is this really the best choice for being able to go shoot Trap on a Sunday and then putting it back in the bedroom on Monday? Also along with the suggestions, if you can toss out an Approximate price on the alternative I would appreciate it...

(Also, please do not let this thread turn into a Remington/Mossberg pissin match. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I am just looking for a little help.) Thanks.

I have a regular 870 with a 28 inch barrel and modified choke I use for trap, which is how I mostly leave it setup, but I also have a tactical stock and police barrel for a defense setup. I used to swap it back and forth, but I generally leave it setup for trap now a days. I try to get out to the G.P. Walton ever other Saturday.

870.jpg

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    i would get yourself an 870 with a 18" barrell for HD and something longer, say, 27ish for the clays. i dont have the HD barrel for mine but my 870 with a 27 inch is my go to firearm when i want to post impressive trap numbers. my dad won a 3 thousand dollar beretta o/u a while back in a contest, and we both do way better with our 870 wingmasters than with that expensive piece. couldnt tell you the last time that o/u has seen the light of day

If you don't like that Beretta O/U, I'll give you what you paid for it - no loss to you! :D

Top Bottom