• hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    1st is a locked door
    2nd is a BIG German Shepherd dog
    3rd is a shotgun and a .38 pistol
    If GSD does its job ole dad just gets to stand there and watch perp wizz their pants LOL!!!

shooter651

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Do you have children or other family members in the house? Yes.. Handgun No...shotgun.
    You can operate a handgun with one hand and perform other tasks.. pick up kids..call the police...
    Shotgun.. is a two handed weapon..
    If its just you and significant other in the master bedroom.. shotgun.. don't leave the room..don't turn on lights..your eyes are already adjusted to the dark..get a weapon..get on the phone call the police.. If they try to come in do what you need to do...

As far as what type of shotgun I would say a 20ga..

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    Right now I can either grab my carry gun or a HD 12G shotty. But my plan is to put a can on my G19 with Glock brand light/laser and keep it in my hideaframe above my bed. SO far I have everything but the 9mm can. I will probably order that within a couple months. I hate that stupid $200 tax :xmad:

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Flamethrower is my first option, grenade launcher on stand by. :)

G19 is my go to firearm. I shoot it well and have put more rds down he pipe than any of my long guns.

As a side note, I personally am not a fan of a flashlight on my weapon. Rule #2, never point your weapon a something you don't want to destroy. The minute you shine your light on a family member, our pointing a loaded gun at them!

Flashlight and G19 with said G19 in the ready position, off hand holding flashlight with interlocking wrists. If I need to bring up the flash light, I do so with my off hand and leave the G19 in the ready.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I would prefer the hg myself. Reason being is your movements are not restricted in doorways, entryways etc., by the hg. The sg's barrel length would limit your movement in these type of areas within the home.

Last edited:

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Do you have children or other family members in the house? Yes.. Handgun No...shotgun.
    You can operate a handgun with one hand and perform other tasks.. pick up kids..call the police...
    Shotgun.. is a two handed weapon..
    If its just you and significant other in the master bedroom.. shotgun.. don't leave the room..don't turn on lights..your eyes are already adjusted to the dark..get a weapon..get on the phone call the police.. If they try to come in do what you need to do...

As far as what type of shotgun I would say a 20ga..

i agree whole hearted with this:ingo:

btw ... glock 27 sits on my night stand in arms reach

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Mossberg 500 with tact light
    SW 5906 as back up and the wife gets a marlin 60 using the bed as cover. If al else fails I have
    a buck 590 (i think) straped to the side of the bed and a GS 1 year old that would give her life for her momma and daddy

BTW sw5906 has yet to prove itself (i have yet to shoot it).

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    i agree whole hearted with this:ingo:

btw ... glock 27 sits on my night stand in arms reach

I'm going to modify one of those plastic holsters to mount it permanently BEHIND my nightstand -- which sits about eight inches from the wall due to the size of my headboard. It's a perfect place to stash a gun out of sight and in easy reach.

That's where the PPQ is going to sleep.

Tony

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Someone was asking a question about which shottie to get for home protection, and that got me to thinking.

I thought I should throw this question out to the great pool of wisdom that is INGO.

What, in general terms, is the best thing to have for home protection? If you hear a bump in the night, or breaking glass, or whatever...

Would you grab a handgun, or a shotgun? Which would be better for general home defense, and why would you prefer it? (And do you think, even, revolver v. semi-auto makes a diff?)

Tony

Anything chambered in .223 that's compact and light weight.

Less "collateral" risks, and assured stopping power.

If you are expertly aware of your backstop at all times, even while being shot at, then go for that 00 buck, or a handgun. Otherwise you're going to cause more problems than you're going to stop.

A very very warm 357 magnum with a semi-jacketed hollow point would be another good option.

You want light and fast bullets that have a tendency to fragment/fall apart inside of the target, for general home defense, stay away from ultra deep penetrating loads, or things intended for hunting.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I am hoping that if someone were dumb enough to try to enter the house while we are home that the dogs barking would make them change their mind and go elsewhere. I have a tire buddy and other items I could bludgeon them with & even a tazer flashlight, however I am petite so I am less likely to want to engage in hand to hand combat with a stranger. I have a 357 magnum that I will use if I have no other choice. Should I keep it loaded with 38 special or 357 bullets? I live in the city but the houses do have space between them.

fastang50

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    gungirl- load it with whatever you can have the most confidence in your ability to make a hit with. Yes 357 has more stopping power, but if you're not confident in being able to use it, a hit with a 38spl would be more effective than a miss with a 357.

As to the original question, I'm on the handgun page. Leaves a free hand do whatever needs done (doors/phone/light). I'm not a storm trooper with houseclearing training so don't think a long gun would be my best bet.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    umm...I have several things within reach... I have a 1911 on the night-stand (ready to go) in my galco holster, my competition AR with a 60 round magazine under the bed (round not chambered, bolt locked back), my competition 930 leaning up against the night-stand (10+1, ready to go), a mossberg 500 in the bedroom closet (ready to go), and an M44 in my loft (just up the stairs and ready to go). The 1911 is loaded with 45 hydroshocks, the shotguns are loaded with pdx-1, the AR is loaded with V-Max, and the M44 has soft-points.

*edit* I should mention that my wife (being the only other person in my house) is well trained in the use and safe handeling of these weapons

Last edited:

brcrbn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Remington 870, 18" barrel and extended magazine (or similar in Mossberg) loaded with Buck, either 00 or #1, but #1 Buck is hard to find. #4 Buck comes up a bit short on penetration.

Some folks recommend reduced recoil loads, but as Lt. General Thomas Kelly said, regarding using B-52s against SCUD missle sites, "A sledgehammer is a delightful way to kill a fly."

Consequently, our HD shotguns (wife has one, too) are loaded with 3" #1 Buck--24 .30 cal. projectiles with each shot.

No handgun even come close to the devastation of the shotgun with buckshot.

+++++++++++ ^ This :yesway: +++++++++++

Top Bottom