• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    When i bought my first firearm, one of the first things I did was to harden all of the outside doors of my home. I figured that it didn't make sense to have a firearm but have a door that can be kicked down in a few seconds.

I was just reading another post where perps kicked in a door in a robbery, so I thought I would share this.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqxXZKCz9E[/ame]

Unfortunately, nowadays home door security has gone on the wayside with too much emphasis on how "pretty" the door looks. eg windows right next to the door lock, just never made sense to me.

Commercial properties typically have steel doors and steel frames. This product definitely helps harden your doors without breaking the bank.

WWW.EZARMOR.COM

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have incorporated our locks into the structure of the house. If you knew how flimsy your dead bolts actually are you would not sleep at night. Most just anchor into the trim around the door.
    Also a good set of security storm doors are a great investment. Ours are anchored into the frame work of the house.
    Yes, a determined thief may be able to breech my doors but the noise made would get him. If not by us then the neighbors.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been recommending and installing similar products for years. They work well, and are less expensive than advertised in that video, or at least they were last year.

The door is only the first line of defense.
    I have the same idea on my house, just a different brand. Next level is cameras, then dogs...

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much having even a vault door would help stop a determined thief. I have seen many homes with "barred" doors - 10 foot away or less was a normal window - often behind a bush or tree!

Obviously a thief can break or pry open a window, usually with less force than kicking in a door! Not saying it isn't a good idea to "reinforce" your doors, IT IS. I personally built my door frames and the locks are set into a 2 X 10 frame! However professionals suggest many other measures - lighting, clearing of bushes near walls that allow a criminal to hide etc.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    That is a great product for a reasonable price. I had never heard of it. I will be getting this, as I'm replacing my doors very soon.

kkoger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    if anyone has Netflix, look up street thief. Its a documentary following a couple criminals and professional burglars. I found it the other day just browsing and thought it looked pretty informative for preparing against this type of crime. Check it out and let me know what you all think. It has a happy ending as well.

Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    if anyone has Netflix, look up street thief. Its a documentary following a couple criminals and professional burglars. I found it the other day just browsing and thought it looked pretty informative for preparing against this type of crime. Check it out and let me know what you all think. It has a happy ending as well.

Thanks for the recommendation. I have netflix and will definitely check this out. It will be interesting to see how these BGs think.

Rbadger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Auburn, IN
    I actually have already done something similar at my own home. I cut off one side of a piece of angle iron about 12 inches long and notched my door frame too fit it. I then dabbed paint marker on the door latch and deadbolt to locate them on the plate and used a drill and grinder to notch out the holes. I attached it to the frame using 6 staggered holes each being held down with 4 inch wood screws. I then went outside and threw myself at the door pretty hard. I'm a relatively big guy - 6ft 225 lbs. The door didn't budge.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I actually have already done something similar at my own home. I cut off one side of a piece of angle iron about 12 inches long and notched my door frame too fit it. I then dabbed paint marker on the door latch and deadbolt to locate them on the plate and used a drill and grinder to notch out the holes. I attached it to the frame using 6 staggered holes each being held down with 4 inch wood screws. I then went outside and threw myself at the door pretty hard. I'm a relatively big guy - 6ft 225 lbs. The door didn't budge.

We did this to all the doors on both houses (next to each other) and the shop door. The screws go into the stud frame around the door. We shimmed the frame out to the jamb. The hinges are pinned as well. I have done the same test and door is not moving.
    Another thought is a bottom dead bolt done the same way as the top one. This would make the steel door as strong in the jamb as possible. Our dead bolts are keyed both sides.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Ive been going through and hardening my parents business. They have been broke into 3 times in 6 months, and its just getting old. 2 $800 doors destroyed, and one destroyed cash register. And restocking pop and candy twice.

I just go in and look at things inside and out of the building and think "IF I wanted to break in, what would I do..." Then I make sure it cant be done.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    From what I've read a good safe and insurance will be the simplest and most effective. As well as a list and receipts of valuable items

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    From what I've read a good safe and insurance will be the simplest and most effective. As well as a list and receipts of valuable items

A good homeowners insurance cant replace a peace of mind feeling, or family heirlooms... Not only that, but if you are robbed, then your rates skyrocket (if the insurance company even keeps ya).

Last edited:
    Top Bottom