• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    From what I've read a good safe and insurance will be the simplest and most effective. As well as a list and receipts of valuable items

True, but the best security is in layers,
    and a lot of stuff isn't replaceable with insurance and a receipt.

Even a safe can be broken into if given time.

The KEY is to rob the thief of time and cause them as much hassle as possible so they have less time to spend robbing you.

Re-enforced doors with double tumbler dead bolt locks add to this hassle.
    The thief either has to take more time and risk being seen breaking it in, or be forced to go in and out of a window.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    No offense, but are you going to "harden" all of your walls too?

Most standard tract housing has vinyl over a foam board followed by insulation and drywall. That's right, anyone that wanted to could just tear their way through your exterior walls with their bare hands.

Most people have no idea or don't want to.

But criminals know this...

Ridgeway

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008

Most standard tract housing has vinyl over a foam board followed by insulation and drywall. That's right, anyone that wanted to could just tear their way through your exterior walls with their bare hands.

Or they could more easily throw a rock through a window.

The issue not whether a home can be breached, but instead how difficult unauthorized entry is as compared to what safety features can be reasonably implemented in the most cost effective fashion.

When was the last time an average burglar ripped the vinyl siding off a home to gain entry? I would feel safe in assuming that is a very rare occurrence as compared to entry through a front door, window, or sliding glass door.

I've used the door jamb armor & have been happy with it.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

True.
    But a crook sawing into a wall I live in an older home like mine in a residential neighborhood knows they risk attracting big attention.

So I would guess they'd want to get in and out fast.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Yes they do. Try that at my house and any one of 5 neighbors will put a round across your bow (or in your butt) and call me and then the LEO.

This makes a butt load of noise.

No home is totally hardened but as already mentioned, slow them down.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    When i bought my first firearm, one of the first things I did was to harden all of the outside doors of my home. I figured that it didn't make sense to have a firearm but have a door that can be kicked down in a few seconds.

I was just reading another post where perps kicked in a door in a robbery, so I thought I would share this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqxXZKCz9E

Unfortunately, nowadays home door security has gone on the wayside with too much emphasis on how "pretty" the door looks. eg windows right next to the door lock, just never made sense to me.

Commercial properties typically have steel doors and steel frames. This product definitely helps harden your doors without breaking the bank.

WWW.EZARMOR.COM
    I am having remodeling work done now. Thanks to this thread, the contractor is installing these to reinforce the new doors. They are also installing Kwikset Smart Key locks.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    I installed something similar that I purchased through Home Depot after my house was broken into about a year ago (kicked the front door in). I am very happy with them.

Yes, I understand a window could be broken or the thief could come through the siding... But for $80 x 2 doors, I felt it was a worthwhile investment.

Here is a link to the ones I purchased:
    StrikeMaster II Door Frame and Hinge Reinforcement-55724 at The Home Depot

Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    I had my door hardware + EZ Armor installed and its worth every penny. I sleep with the reassurance that BGs will have a harder time getting in thru the doors.

Even if they do get thru, it will give me ample time to meet them with a rain of 00 shotgun lead.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    I love how they show the image of a cop kicking in the door when they describe it as a "crook" breaking in. :D

The narrative that goes with it just adds to the fun..!

"It may seem like it's happening more and more these days...crooks kicking in doors rushing into your house and stealing whatever they can get their hands on...but since if they have a uniform and a piece of paper, that makes it A-OK!" :n00b:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I installed something similar that I purchased through Home Depot after my house was broken into about a year ago (kicked the front door in). I am very happy with them.

Yes, I understand a window could be broken or the thief could come through the siding... But for $80 x 2 doors, I felt it was a worthwhile investment.

Here is a link to the ones I purchased:
    StrikeMaster II Door Frame and Hinge Reinforcement-55724 at The Home Depot
    Actually the EZ Armor kit at Lowes was less than this.

Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    20% off promo code.

Armor Concepts is offering a 20% discount to all of our loyal customers to help secure your home this Spring! Many homes will become vulnerable targets as we approach the Spring Break holiday - make sure your home is secured by Armor Concepts!

Simply use the promotion code spring1313 on our new EZArmor.com website or on our ArmorConcepts.com website to take advantage of this offer. Please feel free to forward this code onto friends and family. Thank you again for your continued support and please do not hesitate to call us at 888-292-8852 if we can assist you in any way.

Acole

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    If you're hardening your doors, don't neglect the lock. Most of the Kwikset/Schlage locks that people use to secure their homes can be picked open pretty easily. Hardening the doorway doesn't do much if someone can just unlock it and walk right in.

That said, the lock I've heard recommended the most for residences is the Schlage Primus.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I actually have already done something similar at my own home. I cut off one side of a piece of angle iron about 12 inches long and notched my door frame too fit it. I then dabbed paint marker on the door latch and deadbolt to locate them on the plate and used a drill and grinder to notch out the holes. I attached it to the frame using 6 staggered holes each being held down with 4 inch wood screws. I then went outside and threw myself at the door pretty hard. I'm a relatively big guy - 6ft 225 lbs. The door didn't budge.
    I chuckled when I read this... The thought that came to mind was, "How mad would you have been had you busted your door open and tore up the frame of your door?"

I know I'd be pretty peeved [at myself] lol, but it is better you find out than a burglar/robber find out.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Simply use the promotion code spring1313 on our new EZArmor.com website or on our ArmorConcepts.com website to take advantage of this offer. Please feel free to forward this code onto friends and family. Thank you again for your continued support and please do not hesitate to call us at 888-292-8852 if we can assist you in any way.

Wait, two different brands, but almost identical websites and products. :shady:

Cable, are you affiliated with this company?

navy4422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Lafayette
    Well at least the need for protection hasn't turned out like the doors in China, most of the homes I visited were like a vault. But not a bad idea though I'm sure they were more expensive.

Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    I've been reading about the home invaders that trick homeowners into opening their doors, then pushing their way thru.

I picked up this storm door from Menards today (11% rebate) as an additional barrier when answering the door. Its not bulletproof, but can withstand some serious punishment.

[video=youtube;XSlweoH3ls4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSlweoH3ls4[/video]

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Some very nice ideas to think about , cameras always help too in case you need to view what has happened.

Top Bottom