• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Anyone have contacts in the Home Inspection industry, specifically air quality? I'm thinking about having our house looked at sometime soon.

Long story:
    My wife has been suffering from lots of nagging little health issues in the last couple of years. Headaches, nausea, Tinnitus, sleeplessness, etc... At first we attributed it to pregnancy, post-pregnancy, and then just "life" with a child running around. Lately, though, we have been keep much better track of when she feels well and not. It boils down to simply not being home. If she gets out for most of a day (like when she was working full time), she has little to no symptoms.

We recently spent a week out of town, and other than not sleeping well (the bad was hard as a rock), she felt much better. As soon as we got home, the headache and ringing ears returned.

So, I'm wanting to rule out environmental stuff. Starting with air quality (mold and the like). We are also going to "power down" pretty much everything electronic (wireless, cordless phones, and anything not absolutely necessary) to see if she is sensitive to that. Then, she may be off for an allergy test.

So, any INGO-ers in the "home air quality testing" industry?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Not in the industry, but I've had industrial strength allergies for years. And air quality can give you fits. Have you ever had your ducts cleaned? Might be worth a shot. Also helps to stay on top of your air filters. Allergy prone people need to change them out once a month, not every 2 or 3 as recommended. And you need the thick ones from 3M, not the el cheapos. You might also want to invest in a HEPA filter or two for the house. They could make a big difference. Also, have you had new carpet installed in the last year or so? Out gassing can be a real pain in the ass for some people. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have the quality looked at, but it could be spendy.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    All great idea, mrjarrell!

Never had the ducts cleaned. Probably should no matter what. We have a fancy electro-static air filter on the furnace. It gets run through the dishwasher (as per the directions) about monthly, depending on how much we actually run the AC or heat.

New carpet in my daughter's room a year or so ago. Well after my wife's symptoms started, but who knows.....

We just started the "Great Cleaning of 2012" in preparation for Christmas decorations. Every horizontal surface is getting dusted this week!

At this point, cost is irrelevant. I need my lady to feel better!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    All great idea, mrjarrell!

Never had the ducts cleaned. Probably should no matter what. We have a fancy electro-static air filter on the furnace. It gets run through the dishwasher (as per the directions) about monthly, depending on how much we actually run the AC or heat.

New carpet in my daughter's room a year or so ago. Well after my wife's symptoms started, but who knows.....

We just started the "Great Cleaning of 2012" in preparation for Christmas decorations. Every horizontal surface is getting dusted this week!

At this point, cost is irrelevant. I need my lady to feel better!

Any home inspection company can test for airborne mold spores.

In addition to the recommendations mrjarrell made, I would not limit the cleaning to horizontal surfaces. Wipe down every surface, including walls and doors. Dust and yuckies can stick to them. I'm still finding spots I missed on our bedrooms walls after we sanded the doors in preparation for painting.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Do you happen to live in close proximity to any gas stations? Dry cleaners? or places that formerly held either of those - or any kind of car/engine repair place?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Do you happen to live in close proximity to any gas stations? Dry cleaners? or places that formerly held either of those - or any kind of car/engine repair place?

Nope. Small subdivision built in the late 70's or so, on the edge of rural (farms/stables to the west and suburbia to the east). Nothing remotely commercial or industrial for a mile or more.

I keep all of my "chemicals" in the detached garage as well (gas cans, solvents, paints, etc...).

On another note: We moved into this place about 7 years ago. Her symptoms started about 3 years ago (that we can recall) when she was preggers. This is also about the time when she started staying at home more (full-time mom and home-maker).

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Could be auto-immune / Environmental Syndrome...

My mom suddenly came down with "allergies" when I was early in HS. Seemingly EVERYTHING "chemical" she came into contact with would make her break out, cause tachycardia, sleep loss, headaches, and on and on. Just about all "scents" would trigger it.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    My wife and I have started experiencing this as well. Like you, we attributed it to her pregnancy. That was nearly 2 years ago and still it persists.

I figured mine had a lot to do with my smoking. While I didn't expect it to quit immediately, I did expect it to become less severe once I quit. It didn't.

As a result, I have begun to gut the semi finished basement and spray the walls down with a bleach water solution.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Hygrometer. Check your humidity, if it is high than look for potential mold. Allergy tests is a good place to start as well, mold will not bother most people unless it is really bad.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    You can get kits to use on your home from one of the Do It Centers. You leave them open for a certain amount of time and then re-seal and send it to them. I used a few on dads house once. Here is a link to one company.
    PRO-LAB® Products

As mentioned humidity is huge. Are you on a crawl? If so make sure it is good and dry.

The blood test for allergies didn't cost me but something like 40 bucks with insurance plus the co-pay for the Dr visit itself. I quit smoking about 2 1/2 years ago and still have some breathing issues. It is odd that this also started while she was staying in the house more. Might no hurt to grab a carbon monoxide detector. Also if you are on a basement check for radon. You can get that kit at the same time you get the others.

Last edited:

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    You should have a professional air quality test done. Some one will come to your home and take an indoor air sample and an outdoor air sample which will then be sent to a lab for analysis. There is mold in your home, it's everywhere but the concern comes when there are elevated levels in your home. Most molds are just allergens which could be causing the symptoms with your wife. Other mold types can be hazardous to your health(more so than just allergy symptoms) like stachybotrus(black mold).

The kit listed in the link above says you'll know if there is mold in your home in 48 hours(like I said before there is mold in your house) for a low low price of $9.95 but if you look closely the optional lab analysis is what will really tell you what's goin on and that is where the cost comes in.

Use a professional contractor to do a test and take it from there.

Pm me if you'd like I'm not an expert but have experience in the field.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yep, we are on a crawl space. I KNOW there is some moisture down there, as we have a sump pump that runs now and then, and I have seen some water during heavy rains. It is typically bone dry down there, though. I just closed up the vents, too. Hmm.......

We also have several CO detectors. A couple of inexpensive ones (near the furnace and fireplace) and then a very nice digital one (actually would show the CO level) in the hallway. Never had an alarm, and the digital one is always at zero PPM.

Might order that $10 mold kit. Looks like its just a Petri dish. Pretty sure SOMETHING will grow in it. I guess I can break out my old Microbiology textbook.....

Time to start working my way through the YellowPages to find a professional.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yep, we are on a crawl space. I KNOW there is some moisture down there, as we have a sump pump that runs now and then, and I have seen some water during heavy rains. It is typically bone dry down there, though. I just closed up the vents, too. Hmm.......

We also have several CO detectors. A couple of inexpensive ones (near the furnace and fireplace) and then a very nice digital one (actually would show the CO level) in the hallway. Never had an alarm, and the digital one is always at zero PPM.

Might order that $10 mold kit. Looks like its just a Petri dish. Pretty sure SOMETHING will grow in it. I guess I can break out my old Microbiology textbook.....

Time to start working my way through the YellowPages to find a professional.

Keep your crawl vents open in the winter - too. Still need that airflow in the cold months, too, to keep things dry.

-J-

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, I could crack one or two a bit, I suppose. If I open the ones under the bathrooms, I will get frozen pipes (which is why I close them now).

At least that is a free and easy change. Well, other than the little extra heat bill.....

Top Bottom