• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I just wanted to post this up as a reminder as to why I carry my gun on my person when i'm at home. My wife always wondered if it was necessary but with the latest home invasions, she clearly understands now. I don't even trust leaving my gun on my end table or kitchen table (No Kids) or anywhere else for that matter except on my person for quick retrievel. Especially when answering the door!

Police investigate home invasion; South Bend family held at gunpoint - wsbt.com

skseifert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Boggstown
    Exactly why I carry mine when I am in my own home too - would just feel really stupid getting shot up by a home invader because the invader wouldn't wait for me to go obtain my gun.

HereNthere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Plainfield
    Exactly why I carry mine when I am in my own home too - would just feel really stupid getting shot up by a home invader because the invader wouldn't wait for me to go obtain my gun.

This made me laugh. Er..uhhh...hang on a minute mister crackhead, sir....I need to go retrieve my handgun. :):

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    It used to be, when this happened, all the people involved had drug and gang affiliations. Not anymore.

And they are just kicking in the door.....

Eh, I have never dealt with a home invasion in which "the victim" wasn't currently the dope man, formerly the dope man, or the guy who messed with the dope man. With the exception of one, in which the offenders thought that it was the dope man's house.

I think the govt should leave firearms alone and ban the dope man! :rockwoot:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Eh, I have never dealt with a home invasion in which "the victim" wasn't currently the dope man, formerly the dope man, or the guy who messed with the dope man. With the exception of one, in which the offenders thought that it was the dope man's house.

I agree, and I don't have stats on it but it "seems" like there is more home invasions where the victims don't fall into the traditional category.

This is from talking to friends who are still in it every day.

I share your cynicism, it just seems like things are a changin....

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Ugh...South Bend Sucks.

Yup. My fiance and I have money budgeted for buying strong locks and home defense guns when we move. That is on top of the security system (with cameras) and the Great Dane. The entire city is just a dump. There is not one part of it that I feel safe in, and I am in high awareness mode at all times.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Oh yeah, they are changing big time. The bangers used to settle things with fists. Then it went to guns (man on man). Now it seems like they are either spraying innocent people with drive-bys or kicking in doors. Although in my experience dirt is usually uncovered on the victim of the home invasion, they are definitely on the rise.

Disclaimer: I work in Cook County Illinois. 'Nuff Said.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

While I believe you when you say you have never dealt with one. They do happen. See this story.
    Monticello death investigation

They just arrested the punk who they think did it. The story I've heard was he did some work for her and decided to break in.

sloaba01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Yup. My fiance and I have money budgeted for buying strong locks and home defense guns when we move. That is on top of the security system (with cameras) and the Great Dane. The entire city is just a dump. There is not one part of it that I feel safe in, and I am in high awareness mode at all times.

Hey don't forget a strong door frame. I can say with certainty that every door I've seen kicked in, its the frame that always shatters and the deadbolt is still in the door and extended.
    I kicked in a door once when responding to a medical emergency. We saw the man collapse in the kitchen. Well the guy was a former county deputy and had invested in a steel door frame. Needless to say, we had to break through the actual door to get EMS inside. Once he was concious and talking, we then explained to him how to file a tort claim with the city to get the door paid for.
    So a sturdy door frame should be top on the list as well! :)

Also check out the movie Law Abiding Citizen if you havn't seen it already. fyi not a kids movie.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom