• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    Home invasions and burglaries seem to be on the rise. I have had the fortunate luck of never had to deal with one, but know a couple of people who have.

With a stay at home wife and a young daughter who isn't old enough to go to school yet, this has raised a red flag for me.

I was just wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge and had to deal with one while they were home. Not necessarily looking for details (unless you want to), just trying to get an idea of frequency and/or likelihood.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    You are right to be concerned and should be prepared to defend your family. That said, Plainfield is a wonderful community to raise a family. I have one left in HS and two at IU. One thing that I will never regret is raising them in Plainfield. There are other good communities, but I speak from experience when it comes to Plainfield.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I have a friend that was sitting on her couch the other night waiting for her husband to get home when a guy tried to break in her front door. He finally gave up and left. They live in Heartland Crossing in Camby. Pretty crazy but it can happen anywhere.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    No first hand experience (but I'm ready), if you were living in Fort Wayne in an apartment, you should be worried. Theres a rash of armed robberies going on right now at complexes, nearly every night (unless something has cleared up in the past day or so). They do seem to be getting more common, or at least being reported more on the news.

They're trying to convince people on more gun control & limitations, while reporting more armed robberies and burglaries... :laugh:. Make sure your lady knows how to defend herself and has the means to do so.

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    Evansville Home invasion 911 tape from yesterday.
    Linky

You dont have to "kill". Her shots stopped the crazed until the the police arrived. The CRAZY thing is the guy came back... while the police were there.

BTW, he is out on bond already.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Last summer I was cooking eggs in my kitchen at 1030 am. Two guys came to my back door and tried to break it down but I made my presence known and they ended up running off. The third guy was on my neighbor's side of the double which they broke into while I was in the shower. I carry a gun on me at all times in the house. Always.

Also, on Christmas Eve one of my friends was at home with his baby boy when a guy tried to come in the back door. My friend fought it off but got hurt in the process and has since shown a great interested in guns for self defense.

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    You are right to be concerned and should be prepared to defend your family. That said, Plainfield is a wonderful community to raise a family. I have one left in HS and two at IU. One thing that I will never regret is raising them in Plainfield. There are other good communities, but I speak from experience when it comes to Plainfield.

I was born in Lafayette and ended up graduating high school from Brownsburg.

As a bachelor, I've been all over the country for previous employers and enjoyed it while it lasted. But after getting married and having kids, I came to the realization that this area isn't such a bad place to raise a family. It may be boring for the kids, but as a parent, it's pretty tough to beat.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    OP, I stay home with my two kids and if I'm not wearing the Glock, it's always in the same room we're in. I also have a GSD with a strong dislike for knocks at the door and strangers (and some not-so-strangers; he never has warmed up to my dad or step-mom).

We do what we can to minimize access to the house by not answering the door for people when we aren't both here, reinforcing the locks and hinges with 3-4" screws, etc. But if someone does make it in, hopefully I'll be able to convince him to leave rather quickly. She should probably have a game plan for what she would do when....Just like fire drills.

I have a friend that was sitting on her couch the other night waiting for her husband to get home when a guy tried to break in her front door. He finally gave up and left. They live in Heartland Crossing in Camby. Pretty crazy but it can happen anywhere.

This was a nice area 10 years ago. :(

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    OP, I stay home with my two kids and if I'm not wearing the Glock, it's always in the same room we're in. I also have a GSD with a strong dislike for knocks at the door and strangers (and some not-so-strangers; he never has warmed up to my dad or step-mom).

We do what we can to minimize access to the house by not answering the door for people when we aren't both here, reinforcing the locks and hinges with 3-4" screws, etc. But if someone does make it in, hopefully I'll be able to convince him to leave rather quickly. She should probably have a game plan for what she would do when....Just like fire drills.

This was a nice area 10 years ago. :(

A lot of places were nice, things are going to he'll everywhere it seems.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Not while home. When I was living with my dad, our house was almost broken into while we were gone. We did have an alarm though, and got a phone call. Those cheap locks on windows in cookie cutter houses will break if enough force is applied while opening the locked window.

All the lower story windows in this house have strong metal locks, and are double windowpane storm windows, so each has its own locks.

brian.derby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I had to work on thanksgiving morning this past year. I left for work around 4 am as usual, according to my wife, at approximately 0445, our dog went on point and growling low and mad. She then heard the front door know rattling as if someone was trying to unlock it.... she turned the dog loose out the back door to which she subsequently heard an oh **** from the front door and BG run away. We live on the WS near 10th and Raceway.

YukYuPhat

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    I had to work on thanksgiving morning this past year. I left for work around 4 am as usual, according to my wife, at approximately 0445, our dog went on point and growling low and mad. She then heard the front door know rattling as if someone was trying to unlock it.... she turned the dog loose out the back door to which she subsequently heard an oh **** from the front door and BG run away. We live on the WS near 10th and Raceway.

I would of loved to see video of that! :yesway:

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I had my front door kicked in at about 5 am a few years ago. I grabbed a flashlight and headed toward the door. Once I got there, I found a well dressed 25'ish white guy. Apparently he was drunk and thought my house was his house. My wife called 911 and the police arrived right away. They let their k9 go at our back door, the dog ran though the house and smoked the guy who was still standing at the front door.

upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    Just this week, the Springs Valley paper had a write up from the Orange Co. Sheriff about a rash of home invasions in the Co.. This is a country, farming type of county. You aren't safe from this anywhere.

roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    Last summer I made some improvements to the security of our residence. We live inside I-465. We live on a street that has an increasing number of pedestrians using it to access a bus stop a half mile south.

I have a fence parallel to the street and last April built a fence between me and my neighbor Mr. X. I discussed my concern about the increased foot traffic of strangers by our homes. He had noticed too. My fence improvements provided a significant reduction in access to my property and included some strategic barbed wire placement.

I replaced our old screen door for the entrance that faces the street in question. The new locking storm door includes glass that starts about 30 inches off the floor thereby making it more difficult to kick out. Additional inexpensive security improvements are planned for that storm door. If they can't reach the interior door, they can't kick it in.

The total cost of my improvements was about $200 and 20 manhours.

I am sure that my wife was thinking that I am paranoid.

Two weeks ago, Mr. X had his door kicked in and was buglarized at mid-day while he was at work. My wife may not think that I am so paranoid now.

Last edited:

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    Linky

You dont have to "kill". Her shots stopped the crazed until the the police arrived. The CRAZY thing is the guy came back... while the police were there.

That guy looks creepily familiar.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Linky

Dead guys don't come back. Just sayin'

Top Bottom