• ...and so much more!
  • Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    Hello all
    I have finished a couple kitchen utensil on my wood lathe. Now I am looking for some non-toxic stain. I will then finish up with mineral oil. I know walnuts are out of season. That would be easy. I have tried coffee and tea and the stain is way too light. See the sauerkraut/tater smasher. Can't seem to get the photos right side up. Argg!

Morgan88 View attachment 55867

Last edited:

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    MRockwell
    Oak , one of the kraut smashers is oak sandwiched between two pieces of pine. Really hard to turn. The one in the pic in the 1st post is from a 4x4 of an old barn that was torn down. Not sure what kind of wood it is. Thank you very kindly for the response. As you can see I wasn't getting much input.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    MRockwell
    Oak , one of the kraut smashers is oak sandwiched between two pieces of pine. Really hard to turn. The one in the pic in the 1st post is from a 4x4 of an old barn that was torn down. Not sure what kind of wood it is. Thank you very kindly for the response. As you can see I wasn't getting much input.

I can't see the grain structure of the one in the picture, but from your description it could very more than likely be oak.
    Here is a link to a discussion I found:I was mis-informed about fuming!! - by TheWoodsmith @ LumberJocks.com ~ woodworking community
    Does not seem you need to use a high %concentration of ammonia to get the results, it just takes more time.

I have never done any fuming, but have known about the technique for years. If you do decide to do it, take all safety precautions(not preaching, just reminding).

Top Bottom