• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruger47274

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Found this on YouTube... Has my gears turning... Going to do a Scavenger Hunt in my garage tomorrow and see what I can come up with ! Might just be able to save $60.00 plus. hehe
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1S2q_MuixI&feature=related]YouTube - vibrating brass tumbler with improvements[/ame]

Anyone made any like this and if so how does it work ? ( don't want to use my cement mixer as one person stated on the forum ) lol

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've thought about it but I think I'm going to go in a different direction with my brass cleaning now. I do have one thing to say though. WTF is up with his motor? What is that? A 1 hp motor? Maybe a little on the big side I think.

I have a really small fan motor out of a dehumidifier. I doubt the bearing would hold up over time but it would be a good motor to use as a proof of concept (before a person spent money to buy a good motor). I just never got around to it.

Ruger47274

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Well,, I got it up and running. Only I didn't use a 5 gal. bucket. I have a smaller tub (don't plan on doing too many at one time anyway, I can always get a bigger container) that my wife brought home from where she works. A big Bubble Gum container for bulk sales on the counter tops.
    Anyway,, I managed to come up with a 1/3 HP 115 V motor. Got all my hardware drilled and mounted and it has been running now for a little over an hour. Have 50 - 9mm cases it going around and around. :) Bought some Walnut Media on the way home from work today. Will advise on results...
    How says it doesn't pay to be a PACK RAT once in a while. lol

Ruger47274

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    I made one earlier this year
    Yeah, I looked at it the other day.. Looks pretty impressive. I don't really need anything quite that big though. NOT YET ANYWAY.. lol Just want to do my 9mm and 44 Rem Mags.
    Plus, my wife refuses to let me use our dryer for anything other than clothes.
    I seen on YouTube where a guy used his Daily dryer by putting a bucket in the middle of a bunch of towels and such,, then, ran it on FLUFF not heat for 1/2 hour.. ?? He must be a bachelor. :D

Ruger47274

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Well, after letting my lil home made tumbler run for 2hrs, my brass doesn't look too bad. I made an alteration the to piece of aluminum I have the tub mounted to. I extended out out about 4 more inches to get more VIBE. Now, I've got it loaded with 100 cases and more media. I'll let it run for 2 hours tomorrow and see how it turns out. I will try and post some picks of my tumbler later on this week. Have to clean it up a bit. I just threw it together this evening when I got home. Couldn't wait to see it run. ;)
    All in all, not to shabby. All I have in it is $18.00 that I paid for the Walnut Media today.

Ruger47274

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Well, I have run 150 9mm cases thru my homemade tumbler so far.
    We ( my step-son & I ) loaded our first 50 rounds with my new 9mm dies also. Took our ammo for a test drive. VERY impressive.
    Anyway, I ran 50 thru it on the first time around. Ran for 2 hrs. Looked pretty good considering what I made it out of. Today when I got home. I did some mods and put in 100 cases. Ran for 2 hrs again. Looks very good to me. ( I'll try and get some pics posted ) Of my tumbler and some finished product. I'd post a video, but, I have no way of doing so. Sorry,, still living under a rock I guess. :)

Ruger47274

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    what was the final price for the peices to the tumbler?

looking forward to pics
    Scrap metal packed home from work - $0.0
    Welded base to bottom while @ work - $0.0
    1/3 hp 115/220v electric motor that was removed from a line a while back, I pack ratted home,, I had to switch the wiring from 220v to 115v. Not done with the wiring going to the plug yet. Just threw together a plug on it. ( need to run a longer wire into it. $0.0
    Box of Walnut Media $18.00.
    Tub that holds media and cases. $0.0 Wife packed home a container from work. ( they throw them away when empty )
    Nuts and bolts,,, under $2.00
    Might have to invest in some spray paint though.
    So,, I'd say the total is appx $20.00

Will try and get pics on tomorrow when I get home from work. :)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Scrap metal packed home from work - $0.0
    Welded base to bottom while @ work - $0.0
    1/3 hp 115/220v electric motor that was removed from a line a while back, I pack ratted home,, I had to switch the wiring from 220v to 115v. Not done with the wiring going to the plug yet. Just threw together a plug on it. ( need to run a longer wire into it. $0.0
    Box of Walnut Media $18.00.
    Tub that holds media and cases. $0.0 Wife packed home a container from work. ( they throw them away when empty )
    Nuts and bolts,,, under $2.00
    Might have to invest in some spray paint though.
    So,, I'd say the total is appx $20.00

Will try and get pics on tomorrow when I get home from work. :)
    Probably not even that because the media itself isn't an integral part of the tumbler. You would have to buy that even if you bought a commercial tumbler.

Ruger47274

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Probably not even that because the media itself isn't an integral part of the tumbler. You would have to buy that even if you bought a commercial tumbler.
    Good point CountryBoy, I guess that is true. I didn't think of it that way. Pack ratting pays off sometimes.. To bad I can't get in my garage anymore.... :n00b:

Ruger47274

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    OK,, here are some pics as promised....
    This is my set-up..........
    Description of materials.............

Ruger47274

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    More,,,,,,,,,,,
    ">
    IMG_4489.JPG

Ruger47274

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Finished product

Here are 100 cases that I had tumbled/Vibed for 2 hrs. last night. When I got home this evening from work, my step-son had already removed the primers. I guess if needed they could stand another hour in the tumbler. But, I've read where REAL SHINNY isn't necessary. Unless for show as well. ;) I'm not out to impress anyone. Just make sure my brass is clean for the press.

">

Ruger47274

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Thanks,,,, lol I need to stop running cases in it long enough to give it a nice paint job and put a proper cord on it. ( not visible in the photos.. But, I just put a plug on the end of the wires coming out of the Sealtite ) I need to put an on/off switch on it and then come out with an actual power cord. Didn't want to waste any paint on it if it didn't work. ;)

Top Bottom