• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Pretty decent deal on the M10 which is the exact same gun as the M64 except in blued steel.

GunBroker's pretty simple if you've got a receiving FFL you can work with. Like anything else, there are deals to be had but you need to sort through a ton of crap to find them. I have purchased a total of 15 M64s off of GB over the last couple of years and have never paid over $250. Haven't bought one in about a year but I still see them under $300. I happen to like the DAO version without a hammer spur and they do tend to sell a little cheaper than the standard version. I can't see wanting to run around with a cocked revolver in a HD situation so don't miss the hammer.

Surprising what you can find if you run your searches right(or at least it used to be. GB changed their search algorithm a couple of weeks back and really screwed it up. If you start with firearms/pistols/revolvers/Smith&Wesson/.38Special and look at the used guns it'll turn up dozens of pages. 1118 individual guns at this moment. Start at the back and work your way forward since the 'featured' auctions are all over-priced guns on the first several pages. Ignore 'reserve' auctions and if you don't want to waste months of your time getting outbid over and over after watching an auction for an entire week, just look at the (F) Fixed Sale guns or auctions with a Buy Now. Most might be a little high but if/when you find one priced right you can snag it with no drama. Watch the shipping charges,......makes a big difference when shipping can be free or $60. There's a sweet spot where deals pop up more often,....usually between 6 and 7 days left on a one week listing. You're looking for a decent gun someone just wants to get rid of. An individual seller rather than a dealer generally, although I bought the bulk of those M64s from one certain dealer(pawn shop actually)and he had them listed in lots of 3 or 4. Sometimes you'll find a dealer with a dozen of them and you have to trust you'll get a decent one 'similar' to the one that's pictured(I've always done fine on those). You're trying to find a gun that's freshly listed because if it's a good gun at a good price it won't last long. If you don't find it within the first few hours you'll never see it at all. That's why guys don't think there are deals to be had,....they don't put in the time and effort to look. That's how I've found $125 Rossi's and $250 pre-war S&W M&Ps and Hand Ejectors. They are out there if you know where to look.

1. I'll go back and try again, thanks!
    2. I went back and put in what you said and got "0" results: I'm an idiot!
    3. When I went back and did it intuitively, I got results.
    4. I obviously put the info in the wrong place.
    5. Even though I am under the "Buy Now" section, there is a "Time left" like an auction on the right hand side???
    6. Prices for 4 inch start at $400 and immediately fo higher: I think I'll go to: https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p...olver-heavy-barrel-rubber-grips-trade-in.aspx

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Gunbroker is an exercise in patience and persistence. Take some time and follow auctions. You will find that many (if not most) of the listing do not sell and are re-listed. Pay attention to auctions that actually sell (you can search by completed auctions).

In addition to the tips that have been posted, you should also try searching in order of most bids received. That will often put the results to the top that have been vetted by other bidders as potential buys. I almost always search "No Reserve" auctions. Again most are full retail but, I have made several very good buys. I probably "watch" 50 auctions to one purchase...

Also, talked to your FFL before buying so you know what his policies are for accepting transfers. It can be a real PIA for them if not properly completed.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'd suggest not throwing more $ at guns for now. Spend your money on shooting the guns you have and become proficient at it. Put your dollars toward ammo, training and practice. :twocents:

1. Went to the range today to try out my new Smith 642; didn't seem any different than the Charter Arms I had, but it is a Smith.
    2. I enjoyed putting a box through my Ruger LC9 9mm and my old Colt Mustang 380 (that I love dearly). I didn't even think of my little 22 magnum NAA; practice does not make perfect with that little tool.
    3. I hadn't had time to enjoy my Ruger GP100 22, 10 shot, 5.5 inch, SS revolver, but did so today. It is what I really enjoy: inexpensive shells, nice large heavy gun, stainless steel, accurate ($600): I love it. Hope to shoot the Smith counter-part someday for comparison.
    4. I could have rented any gun (that they had) and shot 10 shells: $10 a gun. I had thought about renting a few today but I needed to shoot my other 4 guns, but perhaps another day.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I found and bought from Armslist a Smith and Wesson 38 model 10-8 (1977-1980, by the serial numbers).
    The previous owner bought it on Armlist awhile back and it needed a new hammer which I guess includes: firing pin, stirrup and sear.
    All I know the trigger is sweet.
    He repaired it, put 150 rounds through it then let it sit and did nothing more with it.
    He wanted his money out for other things since he wasn't using it and probably to make a buck.
    I bought it for $275 coming with wood grips and extra rubber grips and a speed loader.
    I was pleased on how it looked for a nearly 40 yr. old gun.

On another note, my wife was in disbelief since I bought the 38 in the pm and had bought a Walther PPS in the am (another thread :laugh: ).

Top Bottom