• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AR Frank

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    I will be moving shortly and was wondering what the laws are for shooting on your own property? I have read that you can't shoot across a road. I was just wondering what anyone else has encountered, i.e. noise ordinances. I would create a good backstop as I would also like to use rifles. Any help is greatly appriciated.

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    I will be moving shortly and was wondering what the laws are for shooting on your own property? I have read that you can't shoot across a road. I was just wondering what anyone else has encountered, i.e. noise ordinances. I would create a good backstop as I would also like to use rifles. Any help is greatly appriciated.

First off :welcome: 2 :ingo:

Second.... I believe that you would need to contact your local law enforcement agency or research the ordinances in your "area" like firing a weapon within city limits, noise ordinances and zoning issues...... But I'm fairly certain that you are correct when it comes to firing across a road......

GMack_1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    You can't shoot from a road, across a road, or from atop a bridge. But it really depends on "where" you are moving to. If there are no city limits, noise ordinances, or zoning issues then at least have the curtesy of notifying your new neighbors about your intentions of shooting. "Saturday morning from 8 - 12", or some such matter. If you **** the wrong person off, then the LEO's will come calling. Yes, you are on private property, but it doesn't end there (I do believe there are noise ordinances in just about every county).

IMHO, just do your due dilegence. Research a bit and ask around. There are more gun-friendly folks around than you might think. Good luck.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i dont have any ordaninances at my house. i can shoot whatever, when ever. that said im just respectfull to the neibors and dont shoot to early or to late. and use common scence when chosing where and what direction to shoot. my niebors come over when im shooting often but its more out of curiosity of what im shooting than conscern

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    :welcome: to :ingo:

I am trying to get a law passed that once finished, you must outfit all private ranges with Bobcat Steel.

By the way, purple means sarcasm around here. :yesway:
    Would be a kick ass law though....

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Steel backed by some railroad ties or dirt should make an excellent individual shooting range.

I always advocate steel, but I think I may be addicted to that gong sound....

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    you didn,t mention where you are moving. in shelby county, i,ve had no problems with leo,s. i don,t shoot before 10 am or after dark in consideration for the neighbors that all shoot as well. so the best of both worlds....daryll

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    As others have said, check the county and city/town ordinances where you are moving. They vary widely. For instance, Hendricks County has NO ordinance governing outdoor ranges. No noise ordinances either. If you live outside of the incorporated areas, you can do what you choose (safely, of course).

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World

I am trying to get a law passed that once finished, you must outfit all private ranges with Bobcat Steel.

I like this law.

How's the "Special" project coming If you want I can do the outlines for you in exchange for product.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Check with the DNR about hunting with firearms. Cannot shoot across, into or from water (river or ponds/lakes) either. After that local Sheriff.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

in already in compliance with that law. once the crops get out i have a field that has 10ish bobcat steel targets spread out from 100-700 yds

climber409

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Franklin
    I just finished my range yesterday.Being respectful and safe are very important.(know where your bullet will go) YES I did follow the Bobcat steel law.

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    My range is not in compliance with the bobcat steel law, we strive for compliance in the pop can aluminum law... aluminum is still recyclable even after being shredded at the base of a 20 ton mound of dirt.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Bobcat Steel is still recyclable years from now when you get tired of trying to destroy it. :dunno:

Back on topic, lol....

Follow the above advice and verify with the local LEOs.

Top Bottom